Welcome to the NASL (1 Viewer)

I was eleven in 87

ST. PETERSBURG — A ghastly half-minute threatened to ruin Joe Cole's debut with the Rowdies on Saturday, but they managed an entertaining 1-1 draw with Rayo OKC before a throaty crowd of 6,702 at Al Lang Stadium.

Though Tampa Bay overcame a second-half deficit, the Rowdies will feel they only settled for a point after dominating much of the action and owning a 17-6 edge in shots.

"Not disappointed with the performance, disappointed with the result," said Rowdies coach Stuart Campbell, whose team has won just once in four home contests.

With Tampa Bay down 1-0 in the 74th minute Tommy Heinemann, out of the starting lineup for the first time this season, took full advantage of an on-point through ball from Michael Nanchoff. Heinemann's flick was on target and got a nudge in from a defender for an own goal.

"Happy it went in, happy we got the draw but feel like we left three points on table," Heinemann said.

Heinemann appeared to have given Tampa Bay the lead in the 88th minute on a free kick from Cole, who Campbell said had asked the official to take the kick and thought it was granted — but it was whistled dead. And Cole almost created a dramatic stoppage-time winner as his long ball found its way to sub Georgi Hristov, who crushed one over the crossbar.

Campbell said he'd figured on Cole getting tired somewhere past the hour mark and needing to be subbed out, but he played too well and went the distance.

"I was afraid to make eye contact with him. I looked at him at 90 minutes and asked, 'Are you okay?' and he just looked at me," Campbell said.

OKC's goal was a gift 54 minutes in. OKC sent in a long ball that Rowdies goalkeeper Matt Pickens could not quite corral. As he was diving for the ball, defender Neill Collins collided with him and knocked the ball out of Pickens' hands in the goalmouth. Michel tapped in his fourth goal of the season.

"Terrible from our standpoint. Horrendous," Campbell said.

Pickens kept the game scoreless and Collins almost provided a set piece goal in the 40th minute, but his header from fellow defender Tam Mkandawire missed by feet. The Rowdies keeper also had to come up with two reflex saves to deny OKC's Robbie Findley in the first half.

Hobo

Looks like Reda is injured again.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

"Happy it went in, happy we got the draw but feel like we left three points on table," Heinemann said.

4 points for a win in NASL then?

Philosorapter

"Highlights"

[video=youtube;9Av6gYjr7Dk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Av6gYjr7Dk[/video]

Hobo

Commentary with background rock music. What's that all about?

W

westcountry_skyblue

Looks like National league standard if that,
Some shocking tackles and general play.

usskyblue

Looks like Cole was playing centre mid?

Left side of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1.

Football is globally fucked when teams continually play 'not to lose'...even at home.
The lack of job security, and the money in the game has left managers with a focus on: not conceding + try and nick a goal. Not a bad recipe for success, but boring as fuck to watch.

The NASL is no different, it's just the standard is shit-poor.

chiefdave

Looks a great place to go and watch a game. You can understand why he's decided to go over there for a year or two.

usskyblue

Are the rules different in the US? Can you have a beer while you watch?

They bring food and beer to your seat....same as the NFL, NHL and MLB...not sure about the NBA, can't stand Basketball.

Last edited:

chiefdave

I'd imagine you can. You can buy beer and drink in the stands at college American Football games!

Be nice in the sun on that hill with a few beers.

When I went to an NHL game they had waiter service so you didn't even need to go and get your own beer.

Shakeitup

Not just in America. In Germany I go to see a few Bundesliga games a year. Every ground I have been to let's you bring beers back to the stands. They even have sellers going around selling draught beers (and food: hot dogs, pretzels etc.)

Don't get me started on the terraces (for BL games not CL!)

Users who are viewing this thread