We think Norwich and Saints are similar to us (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

In L1 they had the following average attendances:

Southampton
2010–11: 22,160 (Football League One)
2009–10: 20,982 (Football League One)

Norwich
2009–10: 24,755 (Football League One)

Coventry so far:
2012-13: 11,453 (Football League One)

PVA

Oh yeah, I forgot that high attendances get you league points and that you can't get promoted with poor attendances.

PVA

Yeah I get where you're coming from, but those two clubs have always had strong support. Norwich sell something crazy like 20k season tickets per year. I'm not sure we're really comparable with them tbh (on the attendance side of things at least).

sky_blue_up_north

Don't think there is another football club within 50 miles of Norwich, Southampton have not been in the same downward sprial we have seen for years. Bit of success the gatealls will improve, but whilst we can't play two decent halfs of football let along a winning streek what does anyone expect the real die hards.

Last edited:

Gaz

But were currently 3rd best supported lg 1 team so does that mean we should expect to finish near the top?

Yes, it does in my opinion.

We have one of the biggest budgets in this league and should be right up there.

AFCCOVENTRY

Ricoh isn't intimidating at all for opposition teams.

When Saints, Norwich etc were playing their grounds were rocking.

Having said that they current state of our football won't help matters one bit.

Sbruus

Don't think there is another football club within 50 miles of Norwich, Southampton have not been in the same downward sprial we have seen for years. Bit of success the gatealls will improve, but whilst we can't play two decent halfs of football let along a winning streek what does anyone expect the real die hards.

Ipswich is 40 miles away. I live in Norwich and they have such a big draw area. You have the whole of norwich plus Yarmouth, kings lynn, diss and Thetford amongst other towns. For many of the fans however before the return the prem was that of "I support Norwich and United". Still willing to go everygame but when the half time scored were read out the big 4 clubs were get a small but noticable cheer if winning.

JHarding1987

We have seen nothing but false dawns & broken promises. We've never achieved a play off position. Absolute shite for over a decade. Norwich & Southampton have had far more to cheer about in that same period - play offs, play off finals, cup finals, promotions. If their fans had endured what we have, they would have similar crowds. I heard we are the only team not to have been involved in a play off in the last 12 years, or something like that. We have endured nothing but shite, so I think we should be impressed with how many still go!

Sick Boy

We are nothing like Norwich or Saints.

We are more likely to be another Oldham or Bradford.

People go on about how great our fans are, based upon recent events we are anything but and I dread to think what footballers who have played for us have told fellow professionals. Who would want to come and play for a club who boo their own players? Even now people still say Leon Best was lazy and deserved to be booed. Laughable.

So many have self-pity and delusions of grandeur, if anything we are a lower league version of the Scousers.

coundonskyblue

Why is it some on here think that cov fans are the only ones that ever boo? Do they think that no other teams boo their players?

Anyone that remembers that game when Norwich got hammered by Colchester when they first come down here will no there was lots of booing then!

Black6Osprey

Has no one ever seen the geordies? I have been up to Newcastle more than 20 times (not to watch City but visiting family) and they rip the shit out the players if they're playing bad. Its the same all over the Country at all levels. There is a simple answer, dont play shit every game and you wont get any grief off the fans.

ricohroar

I sure if we have a season like they did in L1 and actually start winning and have a chance of promotion come Christmas gates fill rise, and if dare I say it or even imagine it, we have a shout of top 2 with 6 games to go I'd imagine 30,000 inside the Ricoh which would also put our average attendances up to 20,00 or there abouts

torchomatic

Support? Booing your own players after 30 minutes is the kind of "support" we could do without. Obviously though, it's nothing to do with us, far easier to blame the manager, the players, the owners, the council, ACL....

Fanbase and support on matchday does play it's part in my opinion

torchomatic

Oh yes, I bet the players never thought of that one. :thinking about:

There is a simple answer, dont play shit every game and you wont get any grief off the fans.

CJparker

We have seen nothing but false dawns & broken promises. We've never achieved a play off position. Absolute shite for over a decade. Norwich & Southampton have had far more to cheer about in that same period - play offs, play off finals, cup finals, promotions. If their fans had endured what we have, they would have similar crowds. I heard we are the only team not to have been involved in a play off in the last 12 years, or something like that. We have endured nothing but shite, so I think we should be impressed with how many still go!

I saw Norwich put some posters up around Norfolk to drum up support, one was right outside Diss FC's ground - the chairman got angry that NCFC were trying to steal their supporters "they are taking the Diss":slap:

SBS

We've done nothing since 1987 and people have gradually fallen away, its not surprising. My first season ticket was 1997. I saw two cracking premier league seasons, a terrible one, 10 years of the championship and now league 1. I was at Old Traffold when we beat Man Utds kids, that's been the pinnacle CCFC moment since 2000. I still go because I think I've wasted so much time and money, that it seems pointless stopping now. Unfortunately, most of the people I know took the opposite view - its pointless. We're in danger of losing generations of potential Cov fans, it's only going to get worse if we carry on playing for half a match or creating 2 chances a game.

I honestly think the potential for this club is there. I agree that if we're 1st or 2nd with a few games to go, the crowds would be over 20k. Nothing attracts fans like a winning team. The sooner the railway station is in, the better too.

skyblue1523

cracks me up when people say we have 1 of the biggest budgets in the league no we don't all our players have been 3 transfer accept 1 which we were reported to have paid £125,000 but recouped over 2million,players wages have dropped to with high earners going on the cheap or let go for nothing sisu have ruined this club and our once pround history is all we have left.
i love this club with a passion but that is being ripped apart the longer sisu stay.im sick to death of this downward spiral.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

SkyBlue_Bear83

cracks me up when people say we have 1 of the biggest budgets in the league no we don't all our players have been 3 transfer accept 1 which we were reported to have paid £125,000 but recouped over 2million,players wages have dropped to with high earners going on the cheap or let go for nothing sisu have ruined this club and our once pround history is all we have left.
i love this club with a passion but that is being ripped apart the longer sisu stay.im sick to death of this downward spiral.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Not the biggest transfer budget but I would bet our wage budget is bigger than the majority of the division

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
the budget referred to is the wages budget it is based primarily on the turnover of the club including transfer fees. I think it is pretty certain that as we have one of the biggest turnovers and the club has stated it was to maximise the 65% of turnover on wages that we have one of the biggest wages budgets in League 1. It has nothing to do with how much we paid as a fee to buy a player.

Not all free transfers are no hopers some are simply at end of contract or failed to agree new terms with their previous club.

At the moment i would describe the club as being on a plateau (be it a low one)..... the finances are being addressed, we have a decent sized squad which is generally League 1 standard......... the club could go up if led well or down if we continue to accept mediocrity......... what we lack is strong leadership on and off the pitch...... we are not in an irrecoverable position if the right blend can be made on the pitch and that is not just about money

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
fan base and support on a match day certainly make a difference to a team ....... but the difference between 10,000 fans and 20,000 fans average gates is worth at least £3m pa .......... thats the real difference a good fan base and fuller stadiums make.

that means nearly £2m extra available for players wages ........... better players,...... better chance of success..... and bigger crowds and more income..............

Users who are viewing this thread