wasps (1 Viewer)

aviles

so today has been a day of gossip for me just been speaking to a big rugby fan in my office who tells me wasps will not stay in coventry.

Reason being they cannot move their academy up here and try and compete with the likes of leicester, Northampton and Worcester.

He believes they have bought the stadium on the cheap making money off coventry and a hell of a lot more money on ticket sales. In 5 years time they can sell the stadium for more than they paid for it go back home and build their own stadium.

Maybe sisu have worked this plan out and are going to 'look' for land for the next god knows how long until the wasps leave?

Otis

so today has been a day of gossip for me just been speaking to a big rugby fan in my office who tells me wasps will not stay in coventry.

Reason being they cannot move their academy up here and try and compete with the likes of leicester, Northampton and Worcester.

He believes they have bought the stadium on the cheap making money off coventry and a hell of a lot more money on ticket sales. In 5 years time they can sell the stadium for more than they paid for it go back home and build their own stadium.

Maybe sisu have worked this plan out and are going to 'look' for land for the next god knows how long until the wasps leave?

There was gossip in my office.

Basically we think Barbara took 3 Bourbon biscuits at tea time, when she was only supposed to take two.

I blame Sisu.

fernandopartridge

I've just spoken to a big fan of double barreled names who has hinted that the next PR game has started to make sure that a home is found for Wasps' academy

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Sounds like bullshit but I wouldn't put it past Wasps, they did effectively try to steal Adams Park from Wycombe to fund there own stadium before.

torchomatic

Cuckoos would be more apt, wouldn't it?

Sounds like bullshit but I wouldn't put it past Wasps, they did effectively try to steal Adams Park from Wycombe to fund there own stadium before.

Captain Dart

Otis

Bourbon biscuits?

Bloody hell, who do you work for? Richard Branson

Sorry, did I forget to mention they were broken Bourbon biscuits from a cheapo family store? So not so much Richard Branson and more Dicky Wilkinson.

SkyBlue_Bear83

They didn't, they tried to build a new stadium at on old airport site near the M4 but the local council said no.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/sep/28/wasps-new-stadium

And how were they going to fund that stadium? The Wasps owner at that time who was Steve Hayes had also bought Wycombe Wanderers football club, he was planning to sell Adams Park and use the money to fund the new 'joint' stadium despite massive opposition from Wycombe Wanderers fans who didn't want it.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Sorry but that really doesn't make much sense to me. Why spend all that money to build up the fan base, business etc and add value to the stadium to then sell it on at a discount because the price would no longer include an anchor tenant.

Not only that but the value received would not pay for such a development in the London area - the price of land there is much higher.

The academy boundaries agreement runs out in April 2016 and can be redrawn at that time. Wasps have said they will open training HQ in time for 2016 season. They would need to relocate that again in 5 years time too

Hobo

That is the trouble with gossip. It is usually totally inaccurate.

chiefdave

Sorry but that really doesn't make much sense to me. Why spend all that money to build up the fan base, business etc and add value to the stadium to then sell it on at a discount because the price would no longer include an anchor tenant.

I would doubt it is their plan but it would be foolish of anyone to assume they won't move in the future given how they have acted in the past. I see nothing to suggest that they wouldn't move should the move be to their advantage.

torchomatic

...and then move 85 miles. Nah, it would never happen.

Sorry but that really doesn't make much sense to me. Why spend all that money to build up the fan base, business etc

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
not ignoring the possibility cd just don't think it is remotely likely now. Circumstances are different. So are the finances involved. Any one can move a club if they think it is to their advantage as we well know. In the end it comes down to the ££ numbers not the effect on the fans

Last edited:

italiahorse

But they don't own the stadium to sell it.
They own ACL which they bought for £6M and a debt of £14M.
They never planned to move their training academies up here just their training facility IIRC.
Your mate needs to do his homework before he gossips.

duffer

But they don't own the stadium to sell it.
They own ACL which they bought for £6M and a debt of £14M.
They never planned to move their training academies up here just their training facility IIRC.
Your mate needs to do his homework before he gossips.

Which would lead to the very odd (and seemingly unique) position of Wasps having a training facility 100 miles away from their academy...

italiahorse

Which would lead to the very odd (and seemingly unique) position of Wasps having a training facility 100 miles away from their academy...

I think it's different.
Worcester have academies all over several counties and includes 2 in Coventry. I think Broad Street is one.
It's not a one location academy like our football academy although I guess they progress into a more central academy.

duffer

as for the boundaries ...... there is an interesting opinion at the end of this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-2784441/Wasps-set-Coventry-move.html

Much the same though OSB - it's all ifs and buts.

I sense the RFU, like the FL will probably take the path of least resistance. If Worcester threaten to head down the court route (possibly supported by Leicester and Northampton), it could well be that path is to have Wasps retain their academy where they currently are. It's nowhere near as clear cut as the council (and I suspect Wasps when they were talking to councillors) have purported.

duffer

I think it's different.
Worcester have academies all over several counties and includes 2 in Coventry. I think Broad Street is one.
It's not a one location academy like our football academy although I guess they progress into a more central academy.

This rang a bell, because my mate's lad (my godson) had the opportunity to go to the Worcester academy when he was 18. So I looked it up.

As you say they have scattered development squads, but ultimately their main academy is in Worcester. This from their blurb...

http://www.warriors.co.uk/academy/academy-structure.php

"Warriors will then select players from the age of 18 to form part of their Senior Academy squad, where they will be based at Sixways full-time alongside first-team players"

I can't quite see how that works if the academy is still in London with a training centre in Coventry.

Evo1883

I dont think wasps can sell it ..as they dont actually own the stadium to sell.

Grendel

I dont think wasps can sell it ..as they dont actually own the stadium to sell.

The stadium is worthless it's the owner of a 250 year lease that has the value.

albatross

For Me the real story is how Worcester get first call on our Talent and the RFU are looking at no relegation or promotion unless you meet certain criteria , that is likely to be min stadium size and winning the championship X years on the trot so that you may get more than the single point that London Welsh have managed this season. The gulf between the Aviva Premiership and the championship is massive now and growing.

This more than anything is the biggest danger to Cov RFC. As usual once the market becomes competitive (professional) the doors are swiftly closed for those not quick off the mark.

Can see it now with the Premier league and how the cash is distributed to the lower leagues, Rich clubs lecturing Poor clubs how to spend their money so that can never truly compete!

NorthernWisdom

For Me the real story is how Worcester get first call on our Talent and the RFU are looking at no relegation or promotion unless you meet certain criteria , that is likely to be min stadium size and winning the championship X years on the trot so that you may get more than the single point that London Welsh have managed this season. The gulf between the Aviva Premiership and the championship is massive now and growing.

This more than anything is the biggest danger to Cov RFC. As usual once the market becomes competitive (professional) the doors are swiftly closed for those not quick off the mark.

Can see it now with the Premier league and how the cash is distributed to the lower leagues, Rich clubs lecturing Poor clubs how to spend their money so that can never truly compete!

Yup.

The irony is it was Worcester who were one of the bigger tub thumpers about closing off relegation, and one of the justifications used was 'to protect owners' investment'.

It distresses me quite a lot (not as much as CCFC, mind!) that the last bastion of an amateur Corinthian era is in danger of becoming more coporate, more commercial and more of a cartel than just about any other sport in this country. From my lifetime, it's shocking to think that an Enland team could consist of policemen and security guards, with players able to play for their country the week after playing in front of 450 people... to what it is now. Reasonable and fair for the players of course that they actually get some reward from it(!) but the consequence of the way the club game goes is frightening.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Yup.

The irony is it was Worcester who were one of the bigger tub thumpers about closing off relegation, and one of the justifications used was 'to protect owners' investment'.

It distresses me quite a lot (not as much as CCFC, mind!) that the last bastion of an amateur Corinthian era is in danger of becoming more coporate, more commercial and more of a cartel than just about any other sport in this country. From my lifetime, it's shocking to think that an Enland team could consist of policemen and security guards, with players able to play for their country the week after playing in front of 450 people... to what it is now. Reasonable and fair for the players of course that they actually get some reward from it(!) but the consequence of the way the club game goes is frightening.

With the new Sky/BT deal I think the oft mooted no relegation from the Premier League will get another airing,minimum£100million a year tends to focus minds.

Users who are viewing this thread