Was Leon Clarke vital for us? If not is Pressley not blameless? (1 Viewer)

johnwillomagic

Title says it all but I think although Pressely has done well and had us playing a good style of football he seems to have completely lost it recently.

Think given our recent run he has the ability to transform team back to side that had such a great run with the exception of Clarke yet he has refused to do so? This to me seems like bad management unless there are other reasons.

Think he should have reverted back to the team below a long time ago.

Murphy
Christie
Adams
Webster
Clarke
Baker
Fleck
Thomas
Marshall
Wilson
Moussa/Delf (If Moussa unfit)???!!!

Subs: Burge, Haynes, Phillips, Seabourne, Prutton, Ecclestone

The fact that Pressley has not reverted back to team that started so well or has been able to stop the slide has concenred me a little.
Still if we get over the line and stay up this year I will grade Pressley a pass.....not more/no less. Yes he has had more than most to deal with but some of the praise he has been getting has been over the top. Our squad is still as strong/stronger than most in this division after all!!

ConnorDevine

Small young squad though In a 24 team league, a lot of football has been played this year and even the players who are fit are going to be tired and jaded surely

stupot07

Title says it all but I think although Pressely has done well and had us playing a good style of football he seems to have completely lost it recently.

Think given our recent run he has the ability to transform team back to side that had such a great run with the exception of Clarke yet he has refused to do so? This to me seems like bad management unless there are other reasons.

Think he should have reverted back to the team below a long time ago.

Murphy
Christie
Adams
Webster
Clarke
Baker
Fleck
Thomas
Marshall
Wilson
Moussa/Delf (If Moussa unfit)???!!!

Subs: Burge, Haynes, Phillips, Seabourne, Prutton, Ecclestone

The fact that Pressley has not reverted back to team that started so well or has been able to stop the slide has concenred me a little.
Still if we get over the line and stay up this year I will grade Pressley a pass.....not more/no less. Yes he has had more than most to deal with but some of the praise he has been getting has been over the top. Our squad is still as strong/stronger than most in this division after all!!

That's not the team that started the season so well, Marshall wasn't here and no Clarke. And yes Clarke was vital to our "we'll score more than you" tactics. For a start he averaged 3 goals every four games before leaving, then there's the hold up/link up play, and then there's the brilliant understanding he built with Wilson. Moussa's been poor since he left his goals have gone from averaging 1 in 3 down to scoring just 2 in in his last 14 games.

Pressley's played the above or a close version of the above in Jan, Feb and most of March with little success, and has had to change it because losing Clarke has taken a lot of goals out of the team.

We have a strongish squad, but it's not the greatest squad in the world, and we've leaked bucket loads of goals all season, it's just now that we no longer have 2/3rds of the goals in the squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

dongonzalos

The problem is the squad will be more diluted with youngsters next year possibly 11 of the 22

If Pressley playing style is the same we will die off after January again.

Astute

The problem is the squad will be more diluted with youngsters next year possibly 11 of the 22

If Pressley playing style is the same we will die off after January again.

We are starting to look like we will have a Division 4/non league budget for next season. If we manage to keep Wilson we will still need to strengthen our defence. And what will happen to our midfield?

Last edited:

Evans1883

Thats not what bothers me about pressley , i like him , i think hes done a good job with what he has , the change in style and tactics was bought on by the pressure of fans and media imo as we all seemed too concerned about leaking goals ,which is a viable concern .
i still cant see why he hasnt bumped up a youngster to play up alongside wilson for the remainder of the season tbh , maybe ryan haynes could do a job , but we should of carried on the attacking style we had and worked on the defence side of things as a priority , because what we are playing atm is garbage ,ugly and is non effective

johnwillomagic

Pretty sure Clarke was there as centre back alongside Webster with Christie and Adams as full-back?
Think been to more games than Stupot this year probably?

Added Marshall as had to put one player in as Clarke no longer with us, think if fit would put Moose up top
with Wilson and keep Marshall wide hence why on teamsheet.

What worried me more was we had completely lost our style of play of earlier in the season when I last saw us
at home v mk dons, what we served up was terrible and we didn't even look like winning ugly.

Think Pressley should revert back to earlier plans and stick by his guns more for that reason he has lost a few marks in my eyes,

stupot07

Pretty sure Clarke was there as centre back alongside Webster with Christie and Adams as full-back?
Think been to more games than Stupot this year probably?

Added Marshall as had to put one player in as Clarke no longer with us, think if fit would put Moose up top
with Wilson and keep Marshall wide hence why on teamsheet.

What worried me more was we had completely lost our style of play of earlier in the season when I last saw us
at home v mk dons, what we served up was terrible and we didn't even look like winning ugly.

Think Pressley should revert back to earlier plans and stick by his guns more for that reason he has lost a few marks in my eyes,

I meant L Clarke not J Clarke and yes I'm pretty sure you have been to more games than me. Have a medal.

The point I was making is L Clarke was key, moussa has been (from what I've read, heard from friends who've been to games and the stats) poor up top. He can't play the number 10 role and can't hold the ball up and certainly can't score goals from that position. We could play the attacking way we did because we had two strikers that were scoring pretty much a goal each every game, with moussa popping up every 3rd games with a goal.

We haven't got he goals in the team to outscore teams anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Skyblueweeman

Whilst I respect the OP, I find it funny how others...and this is about football fans in general not just with us Cov fans, think we know more about how a professional football manager should go about their job! We see 1% of what they see in terms of those players, how they train, what's going on in their personal lives etc....there's so many reasons to select/drop a player and we don't see have of it.

WM

johnwillomagic

What do you like the fact that stupot did not read my initial post properly in the first place and said we did not have Jordan Clarke in the start xi early season? Think that's what you meant?

KersleyDigs

We always collapse at Christmas. I remember under boothroyd we were top or something and then didn't win a game for months. SISU usually sell our best player which shatters team morale. Otherwise I don't understand why we only ever play well for the first half of the season. Even with different players and managers it happens frequently

stupot07

What do you like the fact that stupot did not read my initial post properly in the first place and said we did not have Jordan Clarke in the start xi early season? Think that's what you meant?

Show me where I said that, yes poor grammer but i did not say there was no J Clarke.

My point was Marshall wasn't here, and no Clarke ( meaning we don't currently have L Clarke) so it isn't the same side as started the the beginning of the season.

I have said, and been derided on occasion for saying J Clarke should be back in as he's the only one who can pass out of the back. I.e. I know full well he started the season, and was largely made a scapegoat by fans/posters on here for our leaky defence.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

No Leon Clarke was not vital to us, though he made a bloody big difference. Like all players who are a bit/lot better than those around them, they are likely to have a big say in the team's direction of travel. As we discover one, or 'grow' one through the academy, they are only likely to impact until someone prises them away - more likely if we're not challenging for anything. However, a bit like Crewe, it's ok producing the odd nugget, but if you sell them regularly, eventually you won't find them, or the team suffers as it misses those you sell on and the direction of travel is inevitable. This could of course be halted in its tracks if we could utilise our fanbase (which is something Crewe don't have) Frustrating isn't it :mad: ?

stupot07

Leon Clarke here (up to last league game he played (league games only)) - Played 26 win 12 (46% win ratio) draw 8 lost 6 GF 55 (2.16 gfpg) GA 45 (1.73 gapg) points 44 (1.69 ppg)

No Leon Clarke - played 17 won 4 (23.5% win ratio) draw 3 lost 10 points 17 (1 ppg) GF 17 (1 gfpg) GA 29 (1.70)

Looks like Leon Clarke was vital to me...

rupert_bear

I have not commented yet re. Pressley and am very much 50/50 about him. Some on here have him as a bit of a Messiah shows how desperate we perhaps are for a bit of good fortune at our club. Has definitely been dealt a tough hand - 10 points, transfer embargo, crap owners, and got our team doing okay until Christmas but a season lasts 9 months not 5 and since the turn of the year we quite simply have not been good enough on the field is it the players or tactics. Certainly not convinced with his signings that's if they are his. How many strikers ? Mansette, MacGuire, Dagnall, Akpom, Slager, Delfounse, the one from Swansea who buggered off as soon as he turned up anybody else ? Jury is out for me

johnwillomagic

I think that my point was that pressley should have reverted back to our original team with the exception of Leon Clarke
Stupot thinks that Leon was vital - maybe he was but I do think Pressley has sabotaged his playing principles recently and it had not even brought results.
I think Moussa could play up top with Wilson personally but it has never really been tried. When Moussa did step up front though he scored!!

stupot07

It wouldn't be the same team - 2x changes - Marshall in and moussa going up front. That is a big change on dynamic from the side that started the season.

Personally I don't think moussa could play up front on a consistent basis, it's like saying 'play christie on the wing because he can dribble'.

I also think that had Pressley not taken the pragmatic approach and go defensive we wouldn't have picked up those 7 vital points in 3 games (Stevenage, Crewe and Bradford) that have pretty much kept us up, and we'd still be in real danger of relegation. (We'd picked up just 5 points in 9 games prior to that playing attacking football, without the goals to enable you do do so)

We no longer have the goals to outscore teams, and Pressley was right to change things, I'd much rather that than someone like thorn who wouldn't change the formation and tactics even when we were getting caught out by the same tactics.

dongonzalos

We always collapse at Christmas. I remember under boothroyd we were top or something and then didn't win a game for months. SISU usually sell our best player which shatters team morale. Otherwise I don't understand why we only ever play well for the first half of the season. Even with different players and managers it happens frequently

Boothroyd has a history for that due to his tactics

SkyblueBazza

Maybe SP had a stark choice between carrying on with the squad as was pretty much, or throwing in a few youngsters, risking play-offs & then instant relegation (upon losing Wilson & probably Moussa) a bit before he thinks they are really ready?
I suspect it could be the latter - & next season there is likely to be 5 or six new faces coming in to replace "sold as seen...few undisclosed" members of the existing squad.
Ultimately, that means next season will be a toughie again & probably less enthusiasm for on the pitch stuff as there was earlier this season. BUT the season after that with a more settled squad of players that have largely developed together...we might just manage to see real progress.

PUSB

johnwillomagic

Stupot made some valid points particularly on the vital ugly wins, however as nearly safe I think we should be reverting back to the style and personnel that served us so well earlier in the season.

I suppose it boils down to fact loan strikers we have brought in simply are not good enough and this year we have not managed to pull a McGoldrick masterstroke!
I think Moose up top if he ever gets fit now this season may be useful to see as an option, if it does not work always have the equally ineffective Ecclestone and Delf to throw on!!

Squad next year should still be largely competitive just need to resolve most important attacking postiions particularly if we lose Wilson which in my eys is almost inevitable! :(:(

stupot07

Stupot made some valid points particularly on the vital ugly wins, however as nearly safe I think we should be reverting back to the style and personnel that served us so well earlier in the season.

I suppose it boils down to fact loan strikers we have brought in simply are not good enough and this year we have not managed to pull a McGoldrick masterstroke!
I think Moose up top if he ever gets fit now this season may be useful to see as an option, if it does not work always have the equally ineffective Ecclestone and Delf to throw on!!

Squad next year should still be largely competitive just need to resolve most important attacking postiions particularly if we lose Wilson which in my eys is almost inevitable! :(:(

It's nice to actually be debating about football for change. :)

Tomorrows a big game if we can get 3 points we're definitely safe, then I would make some changes and perhaps go back more attacking but I wouldn't have christie or moussa in the squad. They've both rejected contracts and won't be here next season so as soon as we're safe i would drop them.

wingy

I think so

Then people worked out that we only had kick and rush in our locker room
Sorry for going off topic lads .

I have a recollection that it went off the rails in the boardroom around Christmas with Ken joining the Board,that Vibe would undoubtedly seep Into team affairs IMO.

stupot07

Sorry for going off topic lads .

I have a recollection that it went off the rails in the boardroom around Christmas with Ken joining the Board,that Vibe would undoubtedly seep Into team affairs IMO.

Legend has it that Ken bought a NTFC season ticket this season......he's got it in for Hoofroyd. ;)

wingy

Legend has it that Ken bought a NTFC season ticket this season......he's got it in for Hoofroyd. ;)

Will he follow him Into the England youth set up?:thinking about::facepalm:

Leon was a huge part of our team. You can see how the goals and the points have been affected since he jumped ship. He and Wilson complimented eachother's abilities. They were pretty much perfect for eachother. Since the move, Wilson has scored goals but hasnt looked the same and Leon has scored once, so you can see the impact its had not only on Leon, but Wilson and especially the results. Wouldnt suprise me to see his back on loan sometime next season if he doesnt find his scoring boots

johnwillomagic

I would in a way love Leon back on loan but I cannot forgive him and severely doubt he would be welcome back under Pressley's regime given the bitter departure. We essentially need a big target man who has decent feet like him. Juke would be lovely but cannot see us affording him or Juke being willing to drop down a division......whatever happened to Cedric Roussell he could fit the bill......:thinking about:

Users who are viewing this thread