Was It Something I Said ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

I see Boris Johnson is in trouble again for saying something "outrageous" and I've just listened to Chris Sutton on the radio upsetting Cardiff fans, by saying their team is going down etc.
I find it amusing and entertaining, and tongue in cheek banter,but many people get irate and angry. I remember saying to an ex girlfriend who had just had her hair done, " when are you going back to have it finished ? " I was only joking as I thought she had a sense of humour, but she didn't speak to me all night,and gave me the silent treatment for weeks ! All for me joking on her hair. Have you said something light hearted and it got taken the wrong way ?

wingy

I see Boris Johnson is in trouble again for saying something "outrageous" and I've just listened to Chris Sutton on the radio upsetting Cardiff fans, by saying their team is going down etc.
I find it amusing and entertaining, and tongue in cheek banter,but many people get irate and angry. I remember saying to an ex girlfriend who had just had her hair done, " when are you going back to have it finished ? " I was only joking as I thought she had a sense of humour, but she didn't speak to me all night,and gave me the silent treatment for weeks ! All for me joking on her hair. Have you said something light hearted and it got taken the wrong way ?
Yes there was a lovely young girl I was friendly with at the old Coventry Sporting Club/Ameteurs discos and hadn't ssen her for a while
So when she turned up on a Sunday night after a few weeks missing and I went say hello etc
She was wearing a scarf on her head
So I commented on it and was it a bad hair day or a fashion statement
Foot firmly in mouth!!
She replied to tell me that she'd been in a crash and her boyfriend had died ,which resulted in her having alepicia.
Beat a hasty retreat , poor girl so nice!!

clint van damme

Yes there was a lovely young girl I was friendly with at the old Coventry Sporting Club/Ameteurs discos and hadn't ssen her for a while
So when she turned up on a Sunday night after a few weeks missing and I went say hello etc
Foot firmly in mouth!!
She replied to tell me that she'd been in a crash and her boyfriend had died ,which resulted in her having alepicia.

years ago I was chatting to a lad I knew really well as we'd grown up near each other and knocked about together as kids. I was telling him how a few weeks previously I gotten off with this girl who we both knew and how I was steaming and couldn't believe I got off with her because she was a pig.

Turns out that since that night he'd asked her out and they were seeing each either. Cue furious backtracking and me stuttering about what a nice girl she was.

Mcbean

years ago I was chatting to a lad I knew really well as we'd grown up near each other and knocked about together as kids. I was telling him how a few weeks previously I gotten off with this girl who we both knew and how I was steaming and couldn't believe I got off with her because she was a pig.

Turns out that since that night he'd asked her out and they were seeing each either. Cue furious backtracking and me stuttering about what a nice girl she was.
Its that 4 weddings moment !

Sky_Blue_Daz

My wife and myself were both on nights this week she’s a nurse I work With children who have long term life limiting health conditions and this week in particular has been very hard

So yesterday she asked me to give take our dog on a long walk to give her the chance to give the house a good tidy. I also suggested I would help tidy the house with her as I think many hands make light work

I walked the dog for roughly an hour and a half also stopped off at the white lion
When I got in innocently asked why she hadn’t finished the housework

She went nuts so after about 5 minutes I took the dog to the craftsman

bringbackrattles

My wife and myself were both on nights this week she’s a nurse I work With children who have long term life limiting health conditions and this week in particular has been very hard

So yesterday she asked me to give take our dog on a long walk to give her the chance to give the house a good tidy. I also suggested I would help tidy the house with her as I think many hands make light work

I walked the dog for roughly an hour and a half also stopped off at the white lion

My ex missus once asked me " do you think I've put a bit of weigh on ?" I replied " yes a bit." She called me a sarcastic bastard and more. She asked me a question and I gave her my answer. She said later that I should have said no she hasn't put weight on ! WTF ! No wonder we split up.

Otis

And did he like it there?

Otis

My wife is nutty. Think everyone pretty much knows that anyway, but she blames me for everything.

She calls me Papa, so all I ever hear is 'Ohh Papa'!!

Got to ridiculous levels now though and I had to laugh yesterday. We went out for the heritage weekend and stopped at a cafe in town.

She was sitting opposite me and she went to take her purse out of her handbag and something fell out onto the floor as she was searching. Absolutely nothing to do with me and I never, ever touch her handbag, but as the item fell to the floor she immediately came out with 'Ohh Papa'!!!

I just sat there, scratched my head and offered a wry smile.

It was totally nothing to do with me on any level, but still my fault.

tommydazzle

Slightly off topic but still makes me cringe and laugh when I think back. I used to 'front of house' in a restaurant and got chatting to a bloke who came in for morning coffee, who like me, was learning Spanish. He wasn't a frequent customer but whenever he came in I would try and converse in Spanish, take his order etc so we both got to practice.

One evening he came in with what I assumed to be his wife and another couple. I welcomed them all in English and took their orders and tried to take his in Spanish but he just blanked me. I tried some questions to him in Spanish but everyone just looked at me as if I was mad. This went on for several minutes and I was quite hurt that he wouldn't play the game. The slow dawning realisation that this wasn't the same bloke I saw in the daytime revealed to me how bonkers it must have seemed from their point of view. 'Why does that waiter keep talking to you in Spanish?' 'You don't even look Spanish?' ' I don't know why, perhaps he's insane?'

Still makes me cringe a bit. My facial recognition skills are a bit dodgy tbh.

olderskyblue

My wife is nutty. Think everyone pretty much knows that anyway, but she blames me for everything.

She calls me Papa, so all I ever hear is 'Ohh Papa'!!

Got to ridiculous levels now though and I had to laugh yesterday. We went out for the heritage weekend and stopped at a cafe in town.

She was sitting opposite me and she went to take her purse out of her handbag and something fell out onto the floor as she was searching. Absolutely nothing to do with me and I never, ever touch her handbag, but as the item fell to the floor she immediately came out with 'Ohh Papa'!!!

I just sat there, scratched my head and offered a wry smile.

It was totally nothing to do with me on any level, but still my fault.

It appears she is just using your name as a normal annoyed phrase..

Like "Oh Bollocks"........

bringbackrattles

Slightly off topic but still makes me cringe and laugh when I think back. I used to 'front of house' in a restaurant and got chatting to a bloke who came in for morning coffee, who like me, was learning Spanish. He wasn't a frequent customer but whenever he came in I would try and converse in Spanish, take his order etc so we both got to practice.

One evening he came in with what I assumed to be his wife and another couple. I welcomed them all in English and took their orders and tried to take his in Spanish but he just blanked me. I tried some questions to him in Spanish but everyone just looked at me as if I was mad. This went on for several minutes and I was quite hurt that he wouldn't play the game. The slow dawning realisation that this wasn't the same bloke I saw in the daytime revealed to me how bonkers it must have seemed from their point of view. 'Why does that waiter keep talking to you in Spanish?' 'You don't even look Spanish?' ' I don't know why, perhaps he's insane?'

Still makes me cringe a bit. My facial recognition skills are a bit dodgy tbh.
I bet the staff said " Sorry, he's from Barcelona ! "

bringbackrattles

Yes, exactly!

I got blamed for her period last week and about two months ago it was piles.
I had years of nonsense with my ex missus, blamed the weather on me a few times. If she lost her keys it was my fault, if she had a bad day it was my fault. One day I decided I've had enough, sorted a flat out, and off I went. Best decision ever. She said I'd be back but here I am ten years on,and still not returned. I love women,but can't live with them, after her I had a great relationship with a woman I met on my round, she liked her independence, and now so do I, so we had some great fun/times. She lives on a barge with her little dog now, but we both knew it wasn't going to be a long relationship, but remained mates. Its not for everybody, but I enjoy my life now, but the last year with my ex missus was a prison sentence !

fernandopartridge

Foot firmly in mouth!!

I think it's when you said "Alright, keep your hair on!" that really irked her

Gazolba

The only thing any man should say to any woman regarding her hair is "it looks nice".

An old girlfriend of mine posted a photo on Facebook of herself with a female friend.
They were both smiling and looking very comfortable with each other.
So I entered a 'Like' with a comment saying "you make a nice couple".
She was miffed by that and responded "We are NOT a couple".
I edited my comment to say "a couple of good friends".
I think I got away with it.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I was in a social club during that boring week between Christmas and new year a couple of years back , the barmaid looked a few months pregnant I was full of festive Cheer (carling mainly ) and asked when she was due.
She looked at me in distain and said I’m not pregnant . I apologised and went and sat down with my wife I was so embarrassed
I felt terrible it doesn’t help that my brother runs the club and my other brother is In there all the time

Malaka

I own three children's homes for lets say young people who do not know how to behave. One home was between managers and so I took over the day to day running of it. The staff were having a real hard time being physically and verbally abused by one 16 year old lad. At the staff meeting the following week an older woman that worked for me was explaining a scenario and said 'called me an old fat c**t'. I responded by saying 'don't take it to heart, they just state the obvious' Errrrrrrr what I was trying to imply was that I get my weight brought into question and my black workers get racist as your abuse, they just pick on what they feel is your achilles heel. My comment crashed and burned. Mouths were agape. Horror was expressed by 'the old c**t' who told me how offended she was as I tried to apologise and explain that wasn't what I meant. After 10 mins of grovelling apologies in front of all my staff, i thought that was the end of it as she was now smiling and made a comment later in the meeting about her weight and so I joined in the banter. Errrrrrrrrrr shut the fuck up Malaka! why do I have no filter? That was a big mistake. The meeting took place on Wednesday, her next shift was on Monday, she broke down at the door, saying that she can't work anymore after I humiliated her. GULP! Constructive dismissal claim! her male colleague also resigning in disgust.

bringbackrattles

I own three children's homes for lets say young people who do not know how to behave. One home was between managers and so I took over the day to day running of it. The staff were having a real hard time being physically and verbally abused by one 16 year old lad. At the staff meeting the following week an older woman that worked for me was explaining a scenario and said 'called me an old fat c**t'. I responded by saying 'don't take it to heart, they just state the obvious' Errrrrrrr what I was trying to imply was that I get my weight brought into question and my black workers get racist as your abuse, they just pick on what they feel is your achilles heel. My comment crashed and burned. Mouths were agape. Horror was expressed by 'the old c**t' who told me how offended she was as I tried to apologise and explain that wasn't what I meant. After 10 mins of grovelling apologies in front of all my staff, i thought that was the end of it as she was now smiling and made a comment later in the meeting about her weight and so I joined in the banter. Errrrrrrrrrr shut the fuck up Malaka! why do I have no filter? That was a big mistake. The meeting took place on Wednesday, her next shift was on Monday, she broke down at the door, saying that she can't work anymore after I humiliated her. GULP! Constructive dismissal claim! her male colleague also resigning in disgust.
Why are women so sensitive ? I was sat outside the pub with a few mates last summer having a beer. And a woman customer of mine walked past so I said hi, and just as a joke said " get me a pint, and I'll take it off your window money next clean." She smiled and I forgot about it. Anyway when I went to clean her windows she said " why did I take the piss out of her in front of my mates ?" I said " when was that ? " It was that night outside the pub, and she went on to say she didn't want her windows cleaned anymore. I replied " I never meant anything by my remark, but you shouldn't be so sensitive,at which she slammed her door !

Otis

My daughter's best friend is a lovely kid. Really, really polite and friendly and caring. Absolutely no trouble at all on any level. She's pretty too, but she is a bit harsh on herself, always putting herself down as too fat, or too ugly, or her legs are too 'chunky' etc. None of it is true.

I treat her like a second daughter. She is always round her house and we are always taking us with her for days out and shows and meals etc. She's always here having sleepovers.

We are all always saying we love her and the other day she was being critical of her chunky legs again and asking about her faults. She asked if she was annoying, to which my daughter replied she was. My daughter followed that with a smile, so I thought I had better step in, what with my daughter putting her friend down.

I said we loved everything about her and the only tiny little thing that's the tiniest bit annoying is when her and my daughter are playing on on the Switch together and she lets out this earthly, manly, loud grunt. It's so out of character, but when she gets frustrated she gets really loud so even the neighbours can hear. So, I said we loved 99.9% of her and it was just that tiny .1% fault, which was nothing. I too, then smiled.

My daughter afterwards said her friend was offended by what I said.

Ha, so not offended at all my daughter saying she WAS annoying, but offended because I said she was 99.9% lovely and just .1% annoying.

Geez, they coach them early. ;)

Gazolba

Why are women so sensitive ? I was sat outside the pub with a few mates last summer having a beer. And a woman customer of mine walked past so I said hi, and just as a joke said " get me a pint, and I'll take it off your window money next clean." She smiled and I forgot about it. Anyway when I went to clean her windows she said " why did I take the piss out of her in front of my mates ?" I said " when was that ? " It was that night outside the pub, and she went on to say she didn't want her windows cleaned anymore. I replied " I never meant anything by my remark, but you shouldn't be so sensitive,at which she slammed her door !
The only thing you should ever say to a woman is to pay her a compliment. Say something nice about her hair, her dress, her smile etc. You never know she might then bring you out a beer without you even asking.

Users who are viewing this thread