Waggott: We Have To Take Decisions In The Best Interest Of The Club (1 Viewer)

Sub

http://www.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/n..._best_interest_of_the_club_856637/index.shtml

By Covsupport News Service
Updated Wednesday, 11th March 2015
Views: 444

Waggott On Moving The Club Forward

Coventry City CEO Steve Waggott has said that the club has had to react to situations and take decisions which are in the best interests of the club.
Writing in his programme notes for the game against Bradford City, Mr Waggott wrote: "At the start of the year, we published our five point plan for the future of the club but football is a dynamic industry and while you always have to plan ahead, it's important that you react and take decisions in the best interests of the club.

"Building trust with supporters and clear communication were two of the factors we identified in having a bearing on delivering a way forward for the club in that plan.
"I hope over the past fortnight we have demonstrated just how committed we are to being as transparent as we possibly can be.

"Some may not have agreed with us parting company with Steven Pressley but I hope the fact that we gave a clear statement on the reasons for it helped supporters understand why we arrived at that decision.
"Then, throughout the process of appointing Tony Mowbray, we tried to update supporters as much as possible but without saying anything confidential.
"Lots of questions followed the appointment and between myself and Tony we endeavoured to answer everything that came our way from supporters and from the media.
"That was followed by our decision to publish our accounts on the club website and then to offer a fulsome explanation of them to supporters both on our site and in the local media.
"Tim Fisher and manager Tony Mowbray, met with the SCG that evening to go through some of the points from an eventful week.

"But of course, success on the field was the fundamental factor in delivering our long term vision and I think everyone who has heard from Tony over the past few days will have been excited by what they heard and, as chief executive, I am here to support him as much as I can.

"We are very much working towards a fully integrated first team/academy and there were some headlines surrounding the Academy but I am keen to ensure that we speak to all parties involved before saying too much on that publicly.
"Our supporters can rest assured, however, that the Academy will remain a cornerstone of everything the football club does moving forward."
The programme for the game against Bradford City is available in the club shop at the Gallagher Retail Park.

skybluebeduff

The problem is, our academy has already produced the better players and they've left. What you've got left Waggot is a team not capable of competing in this league. I guess that's you plan? Tossa.

Astute

Have they finally realised after all the years that they have been with us that they need to put our club first?

Ashdown

It's ok gobbing off relentlessly about the academy if you are going to hold onto any decent youngsters long enough for them to have a positive impact on our team and not some other club's ! One season and sold on is just taking the piss and covering your costs again SISU !

fernandopartridge

It's ok gobbing off relentlessly about the academy if you are going to hold onto any decent youngsters long enough for them to have a positive impact on our team and not some other club's ! One season and sold on is just taking the piss and covering your costs again SISU !

Apart from Wilson who was sold after a relatively short spell in the first team?

steveecov

Had anybody else come close to Wilson's potential, it's clear they would have gone too.

When talking of the cornerstone; he is not referring to the team, I believe but the business model.

fernandopartridge

Had anybody else come close to Wilson's potential, it's clear they would have gone too.

When talking of the cornerstone; he is not referring to the team, I believe but the business model.

Christie is playing at the same level now yet he played over 100 games. Wilson might be one of those exceptional players.

Terry Gibson's perm

"Tim Fisher and manager Tony Mowbray, met with the SCG that evening to go through some of the points from an eventful week.

All is good then they met with a group who seem to have zero connection to the fans to explain everything to them.

georgehudson

more drivel trotted out by Waggot, hard on the heels of Fisher drivel,
connect with the fans ?
when?
this, after 7 years of duplicity,
your previous actions, over that 7 year period, have succeeded in both alienating, and driving away fans,
you reap what you sew

torchomatic

I see what you mean but we've always sold our best players. We can't blame the current owners for Gillespie, Danny Thomas, Callum Davenport, Chris Kirkland, etc can we? I'm not letting them off the hook here, just saying that it has always happened. What SISU need to do is learn from the mistakes of the past when it comes to keeping hold of our youngsters, not just their mistakes but mistakes of previous boards.

ecky

I see what you mean but we've always sold our best players. We can't blame the current owners for Gillespie, Danny Thomas, Callum Davenport, Chris Kirkland, etc can we? I'm not letting them off the hook here, just saying that it has always happened. What SISU need to do is learn from the mistakes of the past when it comes to keeping hold of our youngsters, not just their mistakes but mistakes of previous boards.

Torch when your happy pills have run out then you will face reality...

torchomatic

Apologies, my mistake. I must have had a bang on the head and all those players mentioned had long and illustrious careers with Coventry City.

Torch when your happy pills have run out then you will face reality...

Malaka

Torch is right, we have always been a selling club, but I don't think that our academy players, no matter how good they are will get us out of this league. There needs to be a balance, the good players that we have lost recently are Moussa, McGoldrick, Baker, Wilson and Leon Clarke. McGoldrick and Clarke brought on Wilson all bar one are not products of our academy. Our kids will be good but are not consistent. We do not have the time to bring them on, we need results now.

Chipfat

Every club is a selling club to an extent,, most have to sell certain players in the end or risk having to let them go for free.. Problem with the owners they are telling fans one thing but acting in a completely different manner. The plan and reality is that our academy players will be pushed through faster and told to sink or swim,, once they have stepped up like Wilson they will be sold to fund the running of the club..

So SW is not lying but is not really telling the truth about why they are doing this.. On field they have no desire to invest to gain promotion through this system, they want to turn and repeat on the Wilson's, Christie's and Clarke hoping that the team gets lucky with form and talent... Crewe model with a Sisu twist ,, top 6 budget!!!!!!!!! , Promotion,, get where we should be, All words that tell the fans we are pushing for promotion when survival is the fact

I have no problem with them trying to run this correctly and bringing kids through,, i do have a problem with the playing within a budget.. I just feel the actions don't match the fact and reality is painting a completely different picture than is being told.... With this current squad and the latest signings and accounts released, i cant see the future being different or brighter under these owners.. They are and always will spin, but what they can't deny is the league table and the fact nothing has really changed under new management on the field.. The decision made are taking us backward as a club on and off the field and maybe playing with what we have is an indication of where we are as a club in the english game..

Reality and expectations should be lowered by fans and targets and reality should be told to us by SW, then debate doesn't happen as all deal with the facts in front of us..

Last edited:

torchomatic

Agree, Academy players no matter how good they are can't take us forward on their own. For every Callum Wilson we will get about 20 Jack Finch's. We need to supplement those kids with good players. We don't have to necessarily pay money as Moussa, Baker, Clarke, etc cost almost nothing, but we do need to get them. Hopefully Mowbray's system will be a hell of a lot better than the patented Pressley "scatter gun" method.

Torch is right, we have always been a selling club, but I don't think that our academy players, no matter how good they are will get us out of this league. There needs to be a balance, the good players that we have lost recently are Moussa, McGoldrick, Baker, Wilson and Leon Clarke. McGoldrick and Clarke brought on Wilson all bar one are not products of our academy. Our kids will be good but are not consistent. We do not have the time to bring them on, we need results now.

letsallsingtogether

So they need to learn from previous boards mistakes fuck me they have made more then the rest of them put together should look at their own first.

torchomatic

I think I said their own too, didn't I?

So they need to learn from previous boards mistakes fuck me they have made more then the rest of them put together should look at their own first.

John_Silletts_Nose

Gillespie? Do you mean Gary Gillespie that was signed from Falkirk? I think he was the Falkirk captain as well.

Users who are viewing this thread