Vital Football analysis on City's season (1 Viewer)

Otis

Despite ending their season at the Ricoh Arena with disappointing defeats against Millwall and Doncaster Rovers to confirm relegation to League One, Coventry City ended the 2011/12 campaign with just one point less from their home games than in the previous season.

2010/11 saw the Sky Blues win 9 and draw 5 of their 23 league fixtures in CV6 for a 32-point haul. This time around it was 8 wins and 7 draws for a total of 31.

No fan will need these stats to have realised long ago that City`s away form would cause them major problems come the end of the season and so it has proved.

Andy Thorn`s stock remains high among many fans and he can point, quite legitimately, to a lack of backing in the transfer market and an inadequate support structure to allow him to do his job properly. The big question about his first full season in management however is why his team have taken only 9 points from 22 away games when they have competed well against every side in the division at home and taken points off 7 of the current top 12.

mark82

Despite ending their season at the Ricoh Arena with disappointing defeats against Millwall and Doncaster Rovers to confirm relegation to League One, Coventry City ended the 2011/12 campaign with just one point less from their home games than in the previous season.

2010/11 saw the Sky Blues win 9 and draw 5 of their 23 league fixtures in CV6 for a 32-point haul. This time around it was 8 wins and 7 draws for a total of 31.

No fan will need these stats to have realised long ago that City`s away form would cause them major problems come the end of the season and so it has proved.

Andy Thorn`s stock remains high among many fans and he can point, quite legitimately, to a lack of backing in the transfer market and an inadequate support structure to allow him to do his job properly. The big question about his first full season in management however is why his team have taken only 9 points from 22 away games when they have competed well against every side in the division at home and taken points off 7 of the current top 12.

Hit the nail on the head.

Otis

I said all season that there was something wrong in out set up away from home.

Get the feeling that in many games we were too cautious and set-up not to lose.

The fact we took points off 7 of the top 12 teams in the league at home proves that we could compete on an all but equal footing.

Those 9 or 10 games in a row we lost on the road killed us and we simply didn't turn up for Forest or Bristol or Leshtur.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Must admit, I've stuggled to comprehend why a team can't play as well away from home sometimes. After all, it's 22 players on a pitch playing footie. OK, so the atmosphere may be different, but c'mon, it's still a game after all. Tactics shouldn't change because it's away surely? (Maybe I'm being a bit cynical here :thinking about:)

Astute

Lack of goalscorers to score goals and teams sitting back when they play at our place. We got many more attempts on goal at home. This leads to more goals and more points.

mark82

Must admit, I've stuggled to comprehend why a team can't play as well away from home sometimes. After all, it's 22 players on a pitch playing footie. OK, so the atmosphere may be different, but c'mon, it's still a game after all. Tactics shouldn't change because it's away surely? (Maybe I'm being a bit cynical here :thinking about:)

It's not as if we create an amazing atmosphere at home that spurs them on either.

mark82

Lack of goalscorers to score goals and teams sitting back when they play at our place. We got many more attempts on goal at home. This leads to more goals and more points.

Yeah. Agree. Lack of goals is what has killed our season. Genuinely believe we would have stayed up if King had stayed.

Otis

Not many teams have sat back against us though to my memory.

Barnsley, West Ham (first half), Brum to a degree .... who else? Peterborough had a go at us, as did Donny and Millwall (first half at least) and Leeds and Ipswich and Middlesboro and Derby and Cardiff and Blackpool.

Can't remember any of them sitting back.

Brighton Sky Blue

I said all season that there was something wrong in out set up away from home.

Get the feeling that in many games we were too cautious and set-up not to lose.

The fact we took points off 7 of the top 12 teams in the league at home proves that we could compete on an all but equal footing.

Those 9 or 10 games in a row we lost on the road killed us and we simply didn't turn up for Forest or Bristol or Leshtur.

Said the same things Otis-we set up in damage limitation mode.

Astute

Not many teams have sat back against us though to my memory.

Barnsley, West Ham (first half), Brum to a degree .... who else? Peterborough had a go at us, as did Donny and Millwall (first half at least) and Leeds and Ipswich and Middlesboro and Derby and Cardiff and Blackpool.

Can't remember any of them sitting back.

And out of all the games we won at home how many of these teams did we beat?

Otis

Boro, Barnsley, Leeds, Derby.

Wasn't the point though I was making Astute.

Hasn't been many teams who have come here to defend all season long.

stupot07

Keane, hadji, chippo, Mcallister, Hedman, Breen, telfer, whelen, froggatt.....they also failed to win an away game all season.

Astute

Boro, Barnsley, Leeds, Derby.

Wasn't the point though I was making Astute.

Hasn't been many teams who have come here to defend all season long.

You named 12 teams that didn't let us attack them. 12 out of 23. We did better against the teams that let us attack them.

Nothing wrong with your point. Nothing wrong with also making a point though ;)

Users who are viewing this thread