Villa stall at Cov Uni Freshers Fair (1 Viewer)

joemercersaces

Had cause to go to this event at Cov Uni. Villa had a stall encouraging new students to attend matches there, smugly talking about Premiership football. Made me feel like tipping their stall over but how could we have had a similar stall looking at tapping into the 40,000 odd (some very odd!) students who come into the area through the two universities when we don't even play in the city? Nor will we for at least three years.
I can understand why the club needs to own it's own stadium but taking the club out of Coventry was an unacceptable step and the owners had no right to do that. I made my decision yesterday and took my lad to The Butts as,it seemed,did quite a few Sky Blues.

Nick

Administrator
I agree, they should be there trying to get new fans and maybe some special deals but they would only be accused of desperation and trying to boost attendance's anyway.

CJ_covblaze

Had cause to go to this event at Cov Uni. Villa had a stall encouraging new students to attend matches there, smugly talking about Premiership football. Made me feel like tipping their stall over but how could we have had a similar stall looking at tapping into the 40,000 odd (some very odd!) students who come into the area through the two universities when we don't even play in the city? Nor will we for at least three years.
I can understand why the club needs to own it's own stadium but taking the club out of Coventry was an unacceptable step and the owners had no right to do that. I made my decision yesterday and took my lad to The Butts as,it seemed,did quite a few Sky Blues.

Just out of interest how old is your lad and did you both enjoy your time there? When there was an offer for City fans at Cov a few weeks ago more than 300 took it up. Great to see so many supporting them and equally great to see them doing so well on the field.

Stafford_SkBlue

Doubt many would go, as Premier League football is expensive for Students!!
In the mid '70's when I was at the Lanch, two on my course went to HR regular (out of 30), who did not come from Coventry or surrounding area.
Mind you we were entertaining in those days, Hutch, Wallace etc.

SkyBlueBee

I think I was paying £15 Student tickets in the West terrace at HR for premiership football - CCFC never actively went to Cov uni to promote themselves from what I could remember back in 00/01 it was more by chance that I found out about the discount etc

Chinny_Hill

I agree, they should be there trying to get new fans and maybe some special deals but they would only be accused of desperation and trying to boost attendance's anyway.

I think they know it would be futile. I think the majority of the fans know it too. There is only a minority left now to accuse them of anything. Not too many people care any more..

I had a stall next to it - disgusted....they were doing half priced tickets for Man City game on Saturday - not sure if many would take them up on it as the students are as tight as fook! but still we should have some presence, but Villa play nearer to Coventry than City. Sad times indeed!!

joemercersaces

My lad is 12 and we both really enjoyed it. Used to go to Coundon Road with my old man in the 70s, the days of Peter Rossborough and David Duckham. Arguably Cov's fall from top dogs in English rugby was more spectacular than City's.

Plenty of City fans there yesterday and will continue so I think. Saw the lad that sat behind me at the Ricoh last season and another from work who was a season ticket holder. I won't go to Northampton so it will probably be a season ticket at The Butts for me now and the odd City away match.

Users who are viewing this thread