VAR (1 Viewer)

Is it ruining the game

• Yes

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Evo1883

I can't decide whether it's a good or bad thing...

Otis

I like it, but it is so frustrating. You are celebrating and jumping up and down like a loon and then two minutes later, totally, bitterly disappointed.

Personally I don't think the one on Thursday should have been disallowed. I thought it was supposed to be clear and obvious errors. That one was just millimetres. So close.

I do like it, but I worry we might end up not cheering when we 'score' in case it isn't given.

chiefdave

It was supposed to be for obvious errors, that’s not what it’s being used for. If every bit of contact in super slo mo is going to rule a goal out there won’t be many goals allowed.

It’s not a non contact sport.

Evo1883

It was supposed to be for obvious errors, that’s not what it’s being used for. If every bit of contact in super slo mo is going to rule a goal out there won’t be many goals allowed.

It’s not a non contact sport.
This, exactly this

lifeskyblue

VAR is a blight on football. It’s only there to appease tv companies so they have more to talk about at h/t and the end. Just an extension of changing kick off times etc to suit a bored couch potato public.

It makes refs and Lino’s more cautious (Lino’s are now instructed not to flag immediately in order to aid var...what a nonsense that is).

It’s a ridiculous concept as a foul, not given, 20secs/1min/5 etc prior to a goal not considered but any contact immediately before is. If you use VAR fairly it should be used for all decisions at every moment...and no one could stand that.

Often fouls are a matter of opinion (as we all know refs are never in ‘our’ favour but always the oppositions) and VAR can’t take that away. There will be as much controversy over VAR decisions as there are over ref decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

It’s a killer of joy (not her) you celebrate the goal and two minutes later it’s chalked off because the bloke wore size 11 instead of size 10 boots. It’s alright for really horrible decisions but not everyone

Nick

Administrator
It’s a killer of joy (not her) you celebrate the goal and two minutes later it’s chalked off because the bloke wore size 11 instead of size 10 boots. It’s alright for really horrible decisions but not everyone
Same as the other night when the celebrations happened then it wasn't given? Did it happen again?

lifeskyblue

What a joke...never a pen. Did anyone appeal? Commentators hadn’t a clue what it was for until the replay. Player so close...only about 4yds away. Ruining the game. Wanted england women to do well...but not like that. Get common sense back in football

Evo1883

What a joke...never a pen. Did anyone appeal? Commentators hadn’t a clue what it was for until the replay. Player so close...only about 4yds away. Ruining the game. Wanted england women to do well...but not like that. Get common sense back in football

Actually missed the decision but assuming from the commentators it was extremely harsh

lifeskyblue

The Scottish player could not have reacted to get arm out of way. If she is going to stretch to block cross then naturally your arms go up. Certainly ball to hand...no intent by player.
No ground without VAR would have considered that a penalty.

Otis

Have you seen the one in the Brazil Jamaica game. The Jamaican player's arm is down by her side and it hits her elbow.

The law is batshit crazy if that is the interpretation.

lifeskyblue

Haven’t seen that but agree something got to be done re handball. Up until last year or so in my time playing/watching it’s never really been a major issue but now a handball decision causes debate almost every game.

Otis

Haven’t seen that but agree something got to be done re handball. Up until last year or so in my time playing/watching it’s never really been a major issue but now a handball decision causes debate almost every game.

And it is so major. Something entirely innocent and unavoidable at times, but can be to great cost

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

As I said in the rule change thread, only way around it is to give every single ball that hits the arm, but none of them result in a penalty, only an indirect fre-kick. Deliberate to stop a goal(scoring chance) is a red card to ensure blatant cheating is punished appropriately.

lifeskyblue

As I said in the rule change thread, only way around it is to give every single ball that hits the arm, but none of them result in a penalty, only an indirect fre-kick. Deliberate to stop a goal(scoring chance) is a red card to ensure blatant cheating is punished appropriately.

Agree ...but can’t see Fifa going with it.

PurpleBin

The Scottish player could not have reacted to get arm out of way. If she is going to stretch to block cross then naturally your arms go up. Certainly ball to hand...no intent by player.
No ground without VAR would have considered that a penalty.

But the new rule is if you make yourself bigger than the natural shape of your body then it's a penalty isn't it?

lifeskyblue

I think the rule is if the player makes their body ‘unnaturally’ bigger. An player running will use their arms for balance and speed. It is not unnatural to run with your arms pumping backwards and forwards in line with leg movement.

PurpleBin

I think the rule is if the player makes their body ‘unnaturally’ bigger. An player running will use their arms for balance and speed. It is not unnatural to run with your arms pumping backwards and forwards in line with leg movement.

Ah. Fair enough.

I like VAR but it's not the finished article yet.

lifeskyblue

VAR is here to stay that’s for sure but I don’t see it adding anything to the game. Refs make mistakes so does VAR because it’s based on opinion
Apart from game line technology (which isn’t a law of the game) I can’t think of anything else other than VAR in the running of a football match on a local parks pitch or at Wembley.

Liquid Gold

For the TV fan. In the stadium you never actually know if a decision is correct or not but this will result in fans not properly celebrating goals and the atmosphere at games won't be the same.

CJ_covblaze

Celebrated like mad this week twice despite having the goal chalked off. Both decisions were correct though so it is what it is. Just have to move on.

Users who are viewing this thread