VAR needs an overhaul (1 Viewer)

ProfessorbyGrace

@chiefdave Alluded to the process of the technicians physically ‘drawing’ the lines, to ascertain an offside…this sent me down the rabbit hole, haha. Bear with me:

This kind of process is still human error territory, potentially. It’s not an automated system, with a functional AI making the decisions, it’s people. People with emotions, deficits and allegiances. So it certainly isn’t fool proof.

It’s a system that is relying on dodgy cameras, rushed decisions and applying new levels of pedantry to a sport that really only needs a 4th official with access to goal-line cameras, live footage of the run of play and cameras to verify/overrule any marginal or ‘clear and obvious’ offside decisions. 🤷‍♂️

Which, in my mind, makes this entire VAR adventure an exercise in greater control of outcomes, in the grand scheme of things, rather than a mere vehicle to overrule refereeing errors in the ‘interests of fairness’.

And this is only the embryonic stage of such a systems. Yoinks.

This could very well destroy the beautiful game, if it’s permitted to remain and ‘evolve’. It’s already causing ructions.

Otis

nah, it needs to be there but for actual fuck ups, say like the Leeds goal against Boro.
And that West Brom one where they gave a penalty for handball when the ball hit the player's head and was absolutely nowhere near his hands. So obvious. That's what it should be there for

Shocking decision and I think you have to be able to say that's incorrect and change the decision..

Some are so blatantly obvious

shmmeee

Absolutely not. Slows down the game, encourages more tactical/cynical stoppages, gives a new advantage to bigger/wealthier teams, and exposes the ref to yet another genre of partisan criticism (“They deliberately took more than/less than 30 seconds” etc etc)

If you get two challenges to a ref’s decision, in reality you get one because you want to keep one for a really big one you’re sure they missed. I doubt refs will be using is that often and it would be limited to goals/red cards like it is now essentially.

The ref is going to get criticism whatever. The aim can’t be eliminating criticism from fans. It should be to give the ref all the tools needed then ensure respect on the pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread