Vale Park (1 Viewer)

Gynnsthetonic

If CCFC were to build a new stadium 1 mile from city centre on a similar model to Vale Park, 23000 capacity nice main stand and 3 average terraced stands i would be happy, thought it a good atmosphere and so much better than those soulless bowl arenas, i reckon about 20 million to build that,

shmmeee

Really don't understand this sentiment.

Would people really rather have a ground that looks like a Brazilian shanty town than something actually built by am architect?

hill83

It wouldn't make any difference at all, soulless bowl or a time warp shanty town. It's still us lot in there and we generate a shit atmosphere at home.

bigfatronssba

Even if a new ground is built, it will still be a bowl. Its cheaper to build a ground that way.

Some people think this new stadium will be amazing, basically it will be less like Highfield Road than the Ricoh.

pusbccfc

Do love Vale park, has a lot to it.

Away fans close to the home ones
Pubs close
Low roof
Decent concourse

You wouldn't realise there were 10,000 empty seats, whereas at the the Ricoh is was impossible not to recognise the empties.

Last edited:

swisstony

Butts park arena would be the perfect place .
Add 3 stands,town centre location.
Craven st etc ,just like highfield rd/Gosford st

letsallsingtogether

It will be more like Doncasters Keep moat fucking horrible place

pusbccfc

Butts park arena would be the perfect place .
Add 3 stands,town centre location.
Craven st etc ,just like highfield rd/Gosford st

Totally agree, Sisu in my opinion should purchase their ground and offer a groundshare like Wigan etc.

Admittedly it doesn't have the space that they would want.
Also access would be shocking for 15,000 fans.

italiahorse

I`d go for the shanty town, a proper football ground not a multi purpose sporting arena
A bowl is 4 stands with the corners filled in.
How stupid are people on this.
Old Trafford is a classic example.
Even HR tried to fill the corners in.

No doubt though the smaller the ground the more noise there seems.

SBS

Agreed (edit: to Swisstony's post) It'll never happen in a million years, but the location would be perfect. The Ricoh is a fantastic facilty and good for people who drive in to watch Take That, but as a football supporter, the location is shite IMO. The train station would improve things, but its taking far too long.

Oh for an Ian Gibson.

What a ridiculous thread. Cov city council will never give planning permission for a stadium within a mile of our city centre. We have a state of the art arena at the Ricoh. If the land around it was developed to include a few bars and eateries, and the team played well enough to attract bigger crowds I'm sure most people would say what a great match day experience it was.

If CCFC were to build a new stadium 1 mile from city centre on a similar model to Vale Park, 23000 capacity nice main stand and 3 average terraced stands i would be happy, thought it a good atmosphere and so much better than those soulless bowl arenas, i reckon about 20 million to build that,

But the Ricoh wouldn't be so soulless if we managed to pack it out with some fans ala the Johnstone Paint Semi last season.

SBS

I don't see how a number of bars would survive in the area when they only have 23 days a year when income would be high. Plus the lack of train station means that a percentage of potential customers have to drive and can't drink anyway.

Cov4

No thanks, had a shit time finding somewhere to park yesterday

Seriously? We got there with 20 minutes until kick-off and just parked in a side street a few hundred yards walk away, easy and free.

Compared to the Richo it was bliss, no exclusion zones or expensive car parks, probably pisses the locals off though.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

What a ridiculous thread. Cov city council will never give planning permission for a stadium within a mile of our city centre. We have a state of the art arena at the Ricoh. If the land around it was developed to include a few bars and eateries, and the team played well enough to attract bigger crowds I'm sure most people would say what a great match day experience it was.

For a start Wetherespoons have bought the Rowleys club mind you their beer is shit

Spionkop

For me the Butts is terrific, more space there than people think. Very central. Imagine how many thousands of people could walk there. But of course council won't give it to Sisu. Or allow it.
So are Wetherspoons going to redevelop Rowleys?
Ian Gibson is right, the Ricoh needs a few things around it to improve, it's desolate there. The parking zone is far too big. And probably not needed. 23 days out of 365, come on.

theferret

Really don't understand this sentiment.

Would people really rather have a ground that looks like a Brazilian shanty town than something actually built by am architect?

There was an architect involved with the Ricoh? I don't imagine it will take pride of place on their CV if there was. A value-engineered, soul-crushing piece of shit if you ask me. Would love to be playing there against Brentford obviously, but it is not and never will be a place that has character or soul, or indeed be making many 'favourite away day' lists any time soon.

Would swap the Ricoh with Vale Park every day of the week.

fernandopartridge

Are you sure about that? Someone I know who lives close by says it has been bought by a housing developer?

It certainly isn't the sort of place Wetherspoons would buy. There is absolutely no footfall, fuck me, the place couldn't even sustain despite having a football stadium on its doorstep.

bigfatronssba

There was an architect involved with the Ricoh? I don't imagine it will take pride of place on their CV if there was. A value-engineered, soul-crushing piece of shit if you ask me. Would love to be playing there against Brentford obviously, but it is not and never will be a place that has character or soul, or indeed be making many 'favourite away day' lists any time soon.

Would swap the Ricoh with Vale Park every day of the week.

I wouldn't swap the Ricoh for any league one ground.

bigfatronssba

What, not even Bramall Lane? Frequently voted one of the best football grounds in England?

Not really, the Ricoh is much more impressive.

italiahorse

I'm staggered. Tell that to a supporter of any other club and they would laugh at you. But hey, it's all about opinions.

Bramall Lane.
You are having a laugh. Have you been? Big stands but outdated.
There is nothing wrong with the Ricoh when we are wining.
It's about the fans not the stadium.
Even Highfield Road was soulless at times and we were playing big teams every week.

bigfatronssba

I'm staggered. Tell that to a supporter of any other club and they would laugh at you. But hey, it's all about opinions.

Other fans would most probably comment on atmosphere, which is down to us and the team. Nothing at all to do with the design of the stadium.

As a structure I think most would laugh at the idea that anything in this division is more impressive than the Ricoh.

ricoh.jpg

75015_Bramall-Lane.jpg

theferret

Bramall Lane.
You are having a laugh. Have you been? Big stands but outdated.
There is nothing wrong with the Ricoh when we are wining.
It's about the fans not the stadium.
Even Highfield Road was soulless at times and we were playing big teams every week.

No, it's about the stadium as much it is the fans. I have been to BL many times. For me it is the best ground in England. Named 2nd best ground in England in this list http://www.room101-102.com/room-102/the-top-10-football-grounds-in-england/9/ and many others.

I really do find it quite sad how some people are unable to see what makes a football stadium great and I'm baffled that someone would choose a McStadium like the Ricoh over traditional grounds like Bramall Lane.

Anyhow, none of this matters really. We'd all love to be back there this weekend. The Ricoh does at least have the potential to improve should they build the train station and a few pubs close by.

bigfatronssba

No, it's about the stadium as much it is the fans. I have been to BL many times. For me it is the best ground in England. Named 2nd best ground in England in this list http://www.room101-102.com/room-102/the-top-10-football-grounds-in-england/9/ and many others.

I really do find it quite sad how some people are unable to see what makes a football stadium great and I'm baffled that someone would choose a McStadium like the Ricoh over traditional grounds like Bramall Lane.

Anyhow, none of this matters really. We'd all love to be back there this weekend. The Ricoh does at least have the potential to improve should they build the train station and a few pubs close by.

Its about taking pride in what is Coventry.

theferret

Its about taking pride in what is Coventry.

No it isn't. I am a very proud Coventrian, but that doesn't mean I would argue that Coventry city centre is better than Newcastle or Manchester, because it isn't. All bias aside, taking a dispassionate view, I think the Ricoh is a pretty wretched place to watch football (just look at the distance between the fans and the goal in the image you posted), and that doesn't reflect badly on our fans, because I think we've actually made the best out of the crap hand we were dealt, and the atmosphere in there can actually be pretty decent.

I just don't like it, and I suspect I never will, which is a shame. The whole area around the ground is bleak and windswept, and the ground itself bland and uninspiring. There are certain things they could do to improve it though, so my view may change over time.

Users who are viewing this thread