USA vs Jamaica Watchalong (1 Viewer)

Hiraeth

Kasey Palmer subbed off. Jamaica hanging on.
AT&T stadium atmosphere flat like a Cowboys playoff game.

HadjiChippo

Wright had to start, was lethal against Jamaica. Will be interesting to see him against higher ranked opposition.

Didn’t realise Ochoa’s still in goal for Mexico, FM 2007 Wonderkid.

shmmeee

This Jamaica vs Panama match is so pedestrian, I feel I could put a shirt on and make a meaningful contribution if I wanted to and I haven’t played in ages due to age/injuries. Think/hope the Mexico vs US game is more competitive and Wright starts/scores for the US.

I want both games to be like friendlies. No injuries, minimal energy expended pls.

SkyblueTexan

Wright has started for the US, but has not done much. Caught offside a few times, but rarely involved and tightly marked. Mexico has not been as dangerous as I expected. The US has been slightly better and took the lead through a Tyler Adams belter just before halftime. Not sure if I’ll be able to catch the rest of the match as it’s late here and I’ve got work in the morning. Think the match will finish this way, just like the Jamaica match. Dest has looked good on the ball in attack for the US although a little suspect in defence.

Como

Haji substituted just after the second at 65 minutes, he was making himself annoying and was involved in the build up to the second, the Mexican defender seemed to have his arm around his neck. I may be proven wrong but the second killed it.

CoventryUSA

I watched a YouTuber who streams FM matches,Zoolander,wax lyrical the other day about the U.S team & how there's a new generation of players coming up that are going to almost take the world by storm - is that true?

Are we going to take the world by storm? NO

Is the US getting objectively better due to significant investments in academy structures across the country in the last decade? YES

This is the first generation to feature many players who came out as youngsters from these modern football academies and moved on to play with Champions League clubs. It is not an aberration or golden generation either. It is the new normal given the coaching, academy, league infrastructure here now. Loads of young Americans getting snatched up by top European clubs and a vastly improved MLS and lower league system to develop the late bloomers or those that wish to stick around the US a little longer.

usskyblue

Is the US getting objectively better due to significant investments in academy structures across the country in the last decade? YES

This is the first generation to feature many players who came out as youngsters from these modern football academies and moved on to play with Champions League clubs. It is not an aberration or golden generation either. It is the new normal given the coaching, academy, league infrastructure here now. Loads of young Americans getting snatched up by top European clubs and a vastly improved MLS and lower league system to develop the late bloomers or those that wish to stick around the US a little longer.

I’m not sure what you’re watching?

The MLS is standalone, so it offers little when it comes to players bettering themselves unless they look abroad.

And the standard of football in the 2nd tier (the USL).. is beyond dreadful.

Last edited:

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

CoventryUSA vs usskyblue

'This town ain't big enough for the two of us'.

200.gif

Cov kid 55

Sounds like a bit of an unpleasant game. Referee stopped the game twice for homophobic chanting at Matt Turner, the USA goalkeeper. Then a hell of a fight in the stands, stewards nowhere to be seen. I suppose it’s not surprising if there’s no love lost between these two nations….

baldy

This is the first generation to feature many players who came out as youngsters from these modern football academies and moved on to play with Champions League clubs. It is not an aberration or golden generation either. It is the new normal given the coaching, academy, league infrastructure here now. Loads of young Americans getting snatched up by top European clubs and a vastly improved MLS and lower lea

gue system to develop the late bloomers or those that wish to stick around the US a little longer.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Sounds like a bit of an unpleasant game. Referee stopped the game twice for homophobic chanting at Matt Turner, the USA goalkeeper. Then a hell of a fight in the stands, stewards nowhere to be seen. I suppose it’s not surprising if there’s no love lost between these two nations….
Perhaps there should be some sort of segregation between the fans. Like a wall, maybe?

CoventryUSA

I’m not sure what you’re watching?

The MLS is standalone, so it offers little when it comes to players bettering themselves unless they look abroad.

And the standard of football in the 2nd tier (the USL).. is beyond dreadful.

I think you are falling into the trap of comparing MLS and USL with the long-standing and developed leagues in Europe's top 5 leagues. Against that comparison, both still have a long way to go.

Instead, take a step back and compare MLS / USL against itself from a decade ago. The quality of MLS has improved by leaps and bounds since then. It is still not a top 10 league in the world, but it is a hell of a lot closer than what it was in 2014. Same goes for USL. The massive expansion of USL Championship and USL 1 has placed clubs in countless different medium-sized and small cities. They have brought with them improved youth development for areas of the country that were previously untouched. All of this feeds into the development infrastructure that has helped position USMNT into developing into a better overall squad.

We see it with the current national team. Outside of the dual nats, most of these guys at least spent some amount of time in MLS / USL academies and first teams. That infrastructure wasn't there 10 years ago. Do these guys make the jump to Europe as young as they did were it not for this improved youth development? Some maybe, but all definitely not.

Our beloved Haji Wright benefited from the same. He was part of the first crop of youngsters who came through LA Galaxy's academy aiding his development. Those opportunities did not exist to the same degree a decade ago.

You may not like watching MLS, USL, etc.... That is fine. I am not going to try and convince you otherwise. But you are being willfully ignorant if you think that development infrastructure hasn't vastly improved.

Nick

Administrator
I used to go to most Tampa Bay Rowdies NASL games (the former 2nd tier), as the head coach was (still is) a close friend of mine. The NASL was at least watchable. Now it’s the USL and it’s so bad I can’t watch without getting the urge to pop my eyeballs out with a spoon and fry them. It’s fuckin fantastic if you like watching players running around the ball to get it on their only functional foot (as other is only good for running and standing).

Even Americans don’t watch the USL.. the attendances for most games is woeful.

Isn't that the stadium by the water though? Bet that makes up for it, not like it's in Nuneaton.

Reactions: vow

usskyblue

I think you are falling into the trap of comparing MLS and USL with the long-standing and developed leagues in Europe's top 5 leagues. Against that comparison, both still have a long way to go.

Instead, take a step back and compare MLS / USL against itself from a decade ago. The quality of MLS has improved by leaps and bounds since then. It is still not a top 10 league in the world, but it is a hell of a lot closer than what it was in 2014. Same goes for USL. The massive expansion of USL Championship and USL 1 has placed clubs in countless different medium-sized and small cities. They have brought with them improved youth development for areas of the country that were previously untouched. All of this feeds into the development infrastructure that has helped position USMNT into developing into a better overall squad.

We see it with the current national team. Outside of the dual nats, most of these guys at least spent some amount of time in MLS / USL academies and first teams. That infrastructure wasn't there 10 years ago. Do these guys make the jump to Europe as young as they did were it not for this improved youth development? Some maybe, but all definitely not.

Our beloved Haji Wright benefited from the same. He was part of the first crop of youngsters who came through LA Galaxy's academy aiding his development. Those opportunities did not exist to the same degree a decade ago.

You may not like watching MLS, USL, etc.... That is fine. I am not going to try and convince you otherwise. But you are being willfully ignorant if you think that development infrastructure hasn't vastly improved.

The standard in the USL is garbage. The player turnover every year (at most of the clubs) is huge because hardly any players gets a long term deals, they get 1yr contracts, so there’s very little development in that league, as players move around clubs like musical chairs. There are some standout players but it’s very rare for them to make it to the MLS.

Granted, some MLS clubs do use USL teams as feeder clubs but the yawning issue with the MLS is a lack of a league tiering system, whereby clubs EARN the right to promotion instead of buying their way in.

Football here will always be stunted until all these things change. And don’t get me started on the lack of diversity at manager level, it’s worse than the UK.

StrettoBoy

I think we have a great nucleus to go with now for next season.

Wright, Simms, Eccles, Sheaf (hopefully), Torp, Sakamoto, Kitching, Thomas, Bidwell (hopefully) and Lati.

That's a good solid start to build from.

That's 10 players if we can keep them all and we already have Mason-Clark to boot, making a possible 11.

Looking good.

Collins is okay, but I would like to see us nab someone a little better.

There is also Palmer who, at the very least, is a good squad player.

baldy

The standard in the USL is garbage. The player turnover every year (at most of the clubs) is huge because hardly any players gets a long term deals, they get 1yr contracts, so there’s very little development in that league, as players move around clubs like musical chairs. There are some standout players but it’s very rare for them to make it to the MLS.

Granted, some MLS clubs do use USL teams as feeder clubs but the yawning issue with the MLS is a lack of a league tiering system, whereby clubs EARN the right to promotion instead of buying their way in.

Football here will always be stunted until all these things change. And don’t get me started on the lack of diversity at manager level, it’s worse than the UK.

Why does diversity even have to come into it? Is it not just coincidence that the managers are awful regardless of skin colour? You don't see or hear of Indian or Asian men whinging that they don't get considered for top manager jobs

lordy_87

Didn't realise Dasilva is also on international duty. He is on the bench for Wales tonight.

usskyblue

Are Asian & other groups even bothered?

The institutions have created more initiatives for them compared to Black candidates at the same level. In general, Asian candidates are being sorted properly and funded well to set up their own groups under PFA and FA banners.

JohnWH

I used to go to most Tampa Bay Rowdies NASL games (the former 2nd tier), as the head coach was (still is) a close friend of mine. The NASL was at least watchable. Now it’s the USL and it’s so bad I can’t watch without getting the urge to pop my eyeballs out with a spoon and fry them. It’s fuckin fantastic if you like watching players running around the ball to get it on their only functional foot (as other is only good for running and standing).

Even Americans don’t watch the USL.. the attendances for most games is woeful.
Nice.
I was a season ticket holder for Atlanta Silverbacks until the MLS came to town then the team went bust. (I think anyone would be naive to think there wasn't a direct correlation... but NASL itself was in shambles by then).
I remember Rowdies and Strikers visiting and I think attendance one game when Cosmos came was about 7k(?). I think it was that year's "final" and they added temporary bleachers.

No way in hell am I dragging myself downtown to watch overpriced MLS though. The 2010s NASL era was fun for me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread