Unsung Heroes (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

The thread about your first Sky Blue Hero was interesting and players like Bobby McDonald was mentioned. I thought he was a great full-back. It got me thinking about those who may not have been fans' favourites but really helped the team.

Bobby McDonald was certainly one, others I used to like were Steve Hunt, Alan Green, Terry Yorath, Tommy English, oh there are loads.

torchomatic

This was the best kit we EVER had. Look at those socks! I had the tracky and everything.

$(KGrHqNHJBkE-gORnzvqBPs+b2P6sQ~~60_35.JPG

Otis

The thread about your first Sky Blue Hero was interesting and players like Bobby McDonald was mentioned. I thought he was a great full-back. It got me thinking about those who may not have been fans' favourites but really helped the team.

Bobby McDonald was certainly one, others I used to like were Steve Hunt, Alan Green, Terry Yorath, Tommy English, oh there are loads.

Disagree with you there about Bobby Mac. I used to frequent the West End at the time and he was a big fans favourite in there.

The others I would be in total agreement with you about, apart from Tommy English,who would frustrate the hell out of me.

Yorath and Hunt are two of my all time favourite players.

torchomatic

West End? I wasn't allowed in there as I was only 10-13 around that time so we sat in the main stand, I didn't go in the West End and Kop until around 1979 when I was 14. I missed all the Bobby Mac stuff. It didn't help as I was the only Sky Blues fan in my class. Everyone else supported Liverpool as they were big back then winning most stuff. Even a lot of Forest fans for the same reason.

English was frustrating, but he could be so good.

Surprised no one has mentioned Wally and Fergie either!

Disagree with you there about Bobby Mac. I used to frequent the West End at the time and he was a big fans favourite in there.

The others I would be in total agreement with you about, apart from Tommy English,who would frustrate the hell out of me.

wingy

Bobby Mac ,very effective on scoring from corners if IRC and very solid in his duties .For what its worth a player I always thought did a solid job for us was Ian Butterworth ,always remember that lovely ball out of defense for Bodak to lob Corrigan in the cup game up at Man city,before going outside and getting ambushed.

torchomatic

I remember the evening of the game where we'd thrashed Everton. We saw Butterworth and Pearce in Pizzaland at the top of the Parade in Leamington. We asked for autographs and Butterworth said something like "that was your last chance to get these". They were both off that summer weren't they to Norwich and Forest. Good shout, Wingy.

Otis

West End? I wasn't allowed in there as I was only 10-13 around that time so we sat in the main stand, I didn't go in the West End and Kop until around 1979 when I was 14. I missed all the Bobby Mac stuff. It didn't help as I was the only Sky Blues fan in my class. Everyone else supported Liverpool as they were big back then winning most stuff. Even a lot of Forest fans for the same reason.

English was frustrating, but he could be so good.

I used to love Fergie and Wallace! Best front two pairing I have ever seen up the City. Talk about chemistry!

torchomatic

Yep, classic big man and little man. Will we ever see anything like that again? I suppose we should call ourselves lucky to ahve witnessed a pairing like that. Our younger fans may never get the chance!

I used to love Fergie and Wallace! Best front two pairing I have ever seen up the City. Talk about chemistry!

Otis

They just clicked from the off. Wallace was always going to be an excellent player, but he really brought out the best in Ferguson, who by himself simply wouldn't have stood out that much as a footballer.

They almost had a telepathic understanding that pair and together Fergie looked a great player.

skybluejelly

how about big jim holton....even though i am sure i only remember him because i had a sticker on my window as a kid ...saying 6 foot 2 eyes are blue big jim holtons after you...

Otis

Very good player for us.

Bobby Parker too was a very good player who doesn't get much of a mention.

Moff

Good call on Steve Hunt. He was a classy player, worked hard, and was always underated.
He left us went to the Baggies and played for England!

I always thought that Brian Borrows was massively underated, as was Micky Gynn at times.

torchomatic

Ah yeah, Big Jim! Larry Lloyd was another who seemed to be as big as a house to me. Big Mo? Ha! Larry and Big Jim would eat ya for breakfast!

skybluejelly

I would also like to nominate terry yorath in the faint hope that gabby reads this and feels like cheating on kenny for an afternoon with a fat bloke from rugby...

Ashdown

Tommy English............That has to be a joke !!

theprince

Bobby MacDonald was our best ever left back and i know people will be shouting Stuart Pearce but his best days was at Forest, i'm talking form at Coventry

mrtrench

You are so right. All the way through those two seasons or so when they scored close to 20 goals a piece they remained completely unsung and unappreciated by the crowd. No wonder they left the club.

Tonylinc

Tommy had that rare (and expensive) knack of being in the right place at the right time. Yes, he was no great footballer in the true sense of the word BUT he could score goals. What would we give for such a player now?

Tonylinc

Tommy had that rare (and expensive) knack of being in the right place at the right time. Yes, he was no great footballer in the true sense of the word BUT he could score goals. What would we give for such a player now?

wingy

You are so right. All the way through those two seasons or so when they scored close to 20 goals a piece they remained completely unsung and unappreciated by the crowd. No wonder they left the club.

Do you really think so ,i recollect them getting loads of hero worship,I think we just had to cash ,as usual.:(

Users who are viewing this thread