Under the Radar (1 Viewer)

SBAndy

Love it how over the last few transfer windows all of our business has been done completely under the radar, and the only time we've found out was when it was a done deal.

Striking difference to some of the long protracted nonsense we've had in the past, and reaffirms the notion that all these transfer rumours have absolutely no basis.

Long may it continue.

Mucca Mad Boys

Robins’ transfer policy has been such a key factor in our successes under him. We’ve gone in for players early, targets have been realistic and we’ve pulled off a few coups. Which is continued in this window too. Long may it continue!

Robins is probably the only manager I’ve had complete faith in my time as a supporter!

Mcbean

also means we are not getting the also rans and also interested in somewhere else - people

Nick

Administrator
Is certainly a nice change from Mowbray talking about having 'one or two new bodies in the building' - most of whom didn't ever actually sign for us.

Ducks in a Row.

giphy.gif

AlansEyes

Seriously though, this not only shows Robins in a positive light, but it does underline how poor recruitment has previously been. In past years our recruitment has dragged on right to the end of August and we rarely seemed to bring in our top targets. The worst case is the centre half (whose name escapes me, but I want to say that he was from Burnley?) who Mowbray was after for bloody ages and then he went somewhere else (after being one of those bodies in the building).

clint van damme

I'd imagine it works the other way as well where we miss out on players but no one's aware.
Saves a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

ccfcway

so much better than the "we hope to have someone in the building by the end of the week" line

Terry_dactyl

Seriously though, this not only shows Robins in a positive light, but it does underline how poor recruitment has previously been. In past years our recruitment has dragged on right to the end of August and we rarely seemed to bring in our top targets. The worst case is the centre half (whose name escapes me, but I want to say that he was from Burnley?) who Mowbray was after for bloody ages and then he went somewhere else (after being one of those bodies in the building).

Kelvin Wilson?

Terry_dactyl

In fairness to Mowbray, the first season team we had (which should have gone up) was not half-bad. Ricketts, Stokes, lameries etc plus the addition of some outstanding loan signings (prior to January).
It was his tactics that did for us. Best exemplified in Peterborough away. We should’ve been about 4-0 up and they changed their system, possibly before half time, as they had us sussed, and went on to win.
What the hell happened the 2nd year?! Was it really just Mowbray waiting to sign players or was there no budget? I remember saying, after watching us lose to Swindon on the opening day, “not to worry, we’ll be ok once Mowbray gets the additions in. Swindon must be shit if they can’t even beat our kids”. 1 out of 2 ain’t bad!

robbiekeane

In fairness to Mowbray, the first season team we had (which should have gone up) was not half-bad. Ricketts, Stokes, lameries etc plus the addition of some outstanding loan signings (prior to January).
It was his tactics that did for us. Best exemplified in Peterborough away. We should’ve been about 4-0 up and they changed their system, possibly before half time, as they had us sussed, and went on to win.
What the hell happened the 2nd year?! Was it really just Mowbray waiting to sign players or was there no budget? I remember saying, after watching us lose to Swindon on the opening day, “not to worry, we’ll be ok once Mowbray gets the additions in. Swindon must be shit if they can’t even beat our kids”. 1 out of 2 ain’t bad!
He missed out on 6 centre half’s of which we know at least 3 were championship players. You can’t afford to be in the running for championship players if you don’t have a budget that can survive league one. Or if you can’t and you still try then you’re even more retarded

Reactions: vow

Manchester_sky_blue

I just think Robins (or should I say our recruitment team in general) is more used to working within his means and is more objective in seeing what the team needs. I always felt Mowbray's strategy was to bring in players from higher divisions on the assumption they would be better than what we have or that we could buy from the leagues in and around us. Turnbull as the case in point.
Now, it feels like the club are properly assessing where we have gaps and then scouting at all levels to find the right players to plug the gaps, regardless of where they might be playing.

shy_tall_knight

Both of the recent relegations 2011/12 & 2016/17 , the summer recruitment were poorly planned executed. 2011/12 Andy Thorn brought in 2 goalies and Cody whilst loads of players left. Mowbray failed badly, one of his signings being Jordan Turnbull who helped relegate Northampton and is no longer a regular, a truly awful footballer.

Irish Sky Blue

Tho
Both of the recent relegations 2011/12 & 2016/17 , the summer recruitment were poorly planned executed. 2011/12 Andy Thorn brought in 2 goalies and Cody whilst loads of players left. Mowbray failed badly, one of his signings being Jordan Turnbull who helped relegate Northampton and is no longer a regular, a truly awful footballer.
Thorn wasn’t helped by the transfer embargo placed on the club due to Sisu not filing accounts.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Love it how over the last few transfer windows all of our business has been done completely under the radar, and the only time we've found out was when it was a done deal.

Striking difference to some of the long protracted nonsense we've had in the past, and reaffirms the notion that all these transfer rumours have absolutely no basis.

Long may it continue.

Agreed. Compare this strategy to that of Mogga’s where he decided we would wait until the Premier League teams had decided their 25 man squad by Mid-July in the hope for some loans....

torchomatic

Before the Play Off final Robins said something like (and I'm paraphrasing here) "targets will change depending on which league we will be in next season. Some deals will only go through if we are promoted." I presume he was inferring to Junior Brown there.

torchomatic

Agreed. Compare this strategy to that of Mogga’s where he decided we would wait until the Premier League teams had decided their 25 man squad by Mid-July in the hope for some loans....

That second summer he was here was the WORST pre-season recruitment I can remember in decades.

Captain Dart

ISTR Turnbull was signed after Mowbray's attempts to sign another player he wanted failed and he had to sign someone still on the market to plug the hole in the squad.

Users who are viewing this thread