UK Migrants (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

According to the BBC website, a record number of boats containing migrants are crossing the English channel.
Does anyone know what happens to these people and what their rights are?
Is there a legal process they have to go through before they can become legal residents or be deported.
And who bears the cost?
www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-48484017

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Time to launch the torpedo boats

Macca

I assume (without evidence) that eventually they are settled in the UK. If not then I'm sure there wouldn't be so many people risking a hazardous journey. I'd be mighty surprised ( happy to be proved wrong) if the several hundred intercepted in the last 12 months are back in Iran.

Given current hostility levels with the Iranians this does feel a little worrying security wise but meh that ship sailed quite a while ago

Grendel

skybluetony176

It’s all a distraction anyway. By far and away the biggest cause for people being here illegally is Visa overstay. Funny how that’s not headline news. Maybe it’s because it’s largely people from countries that are expecting it to be easier for their citizens to get visas to enter the U.K. as part of a post brexit trade deal. Then we’ll be reminiscing about the good old days when a few dinghies turned up on a beach instead of the steady stream of visa overstayers pouring into the country legally because the people know what they voted for and that was to take back control of our borders.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

It's so awful for them in France compared to where they originate that they feel the need to come to the UK.

Gazolba

It’s all a distraction anyway. By far and away the biggest cause for people being here illegally is Visa overstay. Funny how that’s not headline news. Maybe it’s because it’s largely people from countries that are expecting it to be easier for their citizens to get visas to enter the U.K. as part of a post brexit trade deal. Then we’ll be reminiscing about the good old days when a few dinghies turned up on a beach instead of the steady stream of visa overstayers pouring into the country legally because the people know what they voted for and that was to take back control of our borders.
Well at least a visa overstayer was (presumably) vetted to get the visa. It should be known who they are, why they came and the number of them.
With people arriving clandestinely, you have no idea who they are, why they are here or what their motivation is.
So I think there is a big difference between the two.

Johnnythespider

Well at least a visa overstayer was (presumably) vetted to get the visa. It should be known who they are, why they came and the number of them.
With people arriving clandestinely, .you have no idea who they are, why they are here or what their motivation is
So I think there is a big difference between two.
And yet people profess to know how many of them are here.

skybluetony176

With people arriving clandestinely, you have no idea who they are, why they are here or what their motivation is.
So I think there is a big difference between the two.

It’s largely the same motivation. To work illegally. Similarly it’s organised too, only the numbers for visa overstay far outnumbers any other method. The numbers are estimated in the hundreds of thousands (believed over 600k) but because it’s policed so badly no one has an exact figure.

Gazolba

And yet people profess to know how many of them are here.
Well I think that is probably extrapolated from how many get caught and then an estimate of how many do not get caught.
And certain political groups have a vested interest in underestimating and others have a vested interest in overestimating,

Macca

It continues and as it continues appears lower in the news items and disappears as quickly

Sixty six people found crossing Channel

Whether your views I would imagine that purely in the interests of human safety it should high priority to tackle this . And in terms of the resident population there are good reasons why entering the country should be done in a controlled manner

Terry Gibson's perm

It should be a very high priority and all of them should be returned to France and all boats destroyed , there should be drones constantly flying over the channel to spot and intercept them. The last time I checked France was not at war so why are they leaving a safe place.

Ian1779

So the media have assumed they are ‘migrants’ without checking if they have claimed asylum or are refugees?

Terry Gibson's perm

So the media have assumed they are ‘migrants’ without checking if they have claimed asylum or are refugees?

Surely if they have claimed asylum they would come by legitimate means, these are sneaking in and been caught

Macca

Unfortunately they have been sold a lie and will soon be wandering aimlessly around some shithole ghetto with no hope or future as you will see throughout Coventry and the rest of the UK .It’s a complete mess up for those seeking a better life here and the established population

Sick Boy

Unfortunately they have been sold a lie and will soon be wandering aimlessly around some shithole ghetto with no hope or future as you will see throughout Coventry and the rest of the UK .It’s a complete mess up for those seeking a better life here and the established population

While the world is the way it is, it will continue. I’d do the same in their position, as I’m sure most people would do as well. The fact they risk a good chance of death shows how desperate they are.

Sky Blue Pete

While the world is the way it is, it will continue. I’d do the same in their position, as I’m sure most people would do as well. The fact they risk a good chance of death shows how desperate they are.
They live in detention centres that are more like prisons than hotels

fellatio_Martinez

A fair amount of the people crossing are economic refugees and paid a lot of money to get to over here and it's not to get a job in McDonalds.

I don't imagine many of them will have problems making money in the UK. There's ample opportunity for drug dealing and pimping etc

shmmeee

A fair amount of the people crossing are economic refugees and paid a lot of money to get to over here and it's not to get a job in McDonalds.

I don't imagine many of them will have problems making money in the UK. There's ample opportunity for drug dealing and pimping etc

Talking to the Polish guy at work. Before Poland joined the EU he used to do a lot of illegal work mostly in agriculture and logistics as did a lot of his friends.

He was working as a warehouse operative when he first came to the UK legally, he’s now a software developer.

Just to throw some facts into this thread.

fellatio_Martinez

Talking to the Polish guy at work. Before Poland joined the EU he used to do a lot of illegal work mostly in agriculture and logistics as did a lot of his friends.

He was working as a warehouse operative when he first came to the UK legally, he’s now a software developer.

Just to throw some facts into this thread.

That's a nice story but it's anecdotal evidence and not indicative of the bigger picture.

Ian1779

That's a nice story but it's anecdotal evidence and not indicative of the bigger picture.

No one really knows the bigger picture - it’s not in the government interest to tell us the real truth about this. Half stories, misinformation and lazy assumptions allows a certain narrative to play itself out.

Users who are viewing this thread