Top Gear (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
What am I going to watch on Sunday night now :(

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Try watching some quality TV Nick. When I say "quality", I mean anything without the obnoxious, smug, over-bearing tosser Clarkson!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Any suggestions?

Any re-runs of Postman Pat, The Moomins, Inspector Gadget, Danger Mouse etc, etc..... great viewing and not a Clarkson thing in sight!

James Smith

I'll second the Brian Johnson prog as a replacement. Buggered up my Sunday night viewing too, will be made to watch the Midwife prog instead of recording it (because TG has been postponed) as I will have to hand over the remote :(

Otis

I see we have a bit of the Marlon King, Ched Evansness about the case here. Doesn't matter what he's done as long as he's good at what he does.

Seems like if you like someone, even if they have caused trouble for the BBC before and been accused of being racist and a thug, as long as they are good at their job you are going to sign an online petition to get them reinstated.

Guessing his 'fans' would back him even if he was arrested for murder. 100,000 people now have signed a petition for him to be reinstated, despite him being on his very last warning and him now apparently punching a producer.

If any of us punched our 'producer' at work, would we keep our jobs? Nope, course not.

Last edited:

Captain Dart

Covstu

The guy is an idiot who thinks he is above the law and rules do not apply to him as he is famous. Hardly a film star mate and you cannot do what you did and not expect to see consequences.

Reality kicks in however and i think he owns some of the Top Gear franchise (i am told) and lets face it without him the whole thing falls down (similar when Rimmer stopped being in Red Dwarf, just not the same!)

lewys33

I like how everyone is like "see! Told you he was a prick!"

Everyone knows he is. But he is good at what he does (some would say funny as well). Ever heard of innocent until proven guilty? Everything is just rumours being thrown around at the minute, nothing has been confirmed. Let's not pretend that this kind of favouritism doesn't happen in the workplace. Someone who is very good at what they do will not be sacked for the same thing that an awful employee does. It is a fact.

If you don't like him - don't watch him. Simple.

In my opinion, he is controversial, and a little too close to the edge at times, however I think people take him too seriously, and PC definite goes too far in certain cases. Sarcasm is something which is banned in a PC world (not the store). I think it would be better for him, and the BBC if he left. The BBC are far too left field, and Clarkson clearly isn't.

James Smith

Strangely someone I know who used to work in the cruise business told me that the Top Gear team should have avoided Argentina altogether and questioned why the FCO hadn't advised that. Cruise ships have been targeted by protesters and/or turned away from port if they're flying a British flag of any description and/or have the Falklands in their itinerary.

J

Jack Griffin

B_01U1AW8AETP_F.jpg

Otis

I like how everyone is like "see! Told you he was a prick!"

Everyone knows he is. But he is good at what he does (some would say funny as well). Ever heard of innocent until proven guilty? Everything is just rumours being thrown around at the minute, nothing has been confirmed. Let's not pretend that this kind of favouritism doesn't happen in the workplace. Someone who is very good at what they do will not be sacked for the same thing that an awful employee does. It is a fact.

If you don't like him - don't watch him. Simple.

In my opinion, he is controversial, and a little too close to the edge at times, however I think people take him too seriously, and PC definite goes too far in certain cases. Sarcasm is something which is banned in a PC world (not the store). I think it would be better for him, and the BBC if he left. The BBC are far too left field, and Clarkson clearly isn't.

it's fine saying if you don't like him, don't watch him, but this is the BBC and we pay for him.

Let him spout his shit on Channel 4 if he wants.

I don't think it is all just rumour anyway is it? He definitely did the slope thing and the nigger thing and the Argentine thing and the Gordon Brown thing and I think he has pretty much admitted to this latest incident.

Last edited:

duffer

Strangely someone I know who used to work in the cruise business told me that the Top Gear team should have avoided Argentina altogether and questioned why the FCO hadn't advised that. Cruise ships have been targeted by protesters and/or turned away from port if they're flying a British flag of any description and/or have the Falklands in their itinerary.

My thought is that they knew this long before going - I don't think the number plate was deliberate, but the boorish, juvenile (and to be honest, occasionally racist) attitude to the places they go to on these world trips seems specifically designed to provoke a reaction. Maybe they got a bit more than they expected this time.

I should add that I say this as someone who loves cars, and mostly likes Top Gear - but some of this stuff makes me cringe a bit.

As for Clarkson, if he's punched a co-worker I'd say he's got to go. It would happen at any other place of work I can think of, and I don't think being a celebrity (even a funny one) should change that.

I've got to say though, I don't know the truth of it and I don't know if he's done what he's been accused of. Like everyone else in the land I also think he deserves to a chance to defend himself against the accusation.

Otis

My thought is that they knew this long before going - I don't think the number plate was deliberate, but the boorish, juvenile (and to be honest, occasionally racist) attitude to the places they go to on these world trips seems specifically designed to provoke a reaction. Maybe they got a bit more than they expected this time.

I should add that I say this as someone who loves cars, and mostly likes Top Gear - but some of this stuff makes me cringe a bit.

As for Clarkson, if he's punched a co-worker I'd say he's got to go. It would happen at any other place of work I can think of, and I don't think being a celebrity (even a funny one) should change that.

I've got to say though, I don't know the truth of it and I don't know if he's done what he's been accused of. Like everyone else in the land I also think he deserves to a chance to defend himself against the accusation.

Yep, totally agree.

My main problem here is with the hundreds of thousands of people calling for his reinstatement. Based on what? As you say, innocent until proven guilty, but people should be waiting to see what actually took place. rather than signing petitions.

Seems to me that the petition is because these people like Top Gear and like Clarkson and nothing to do with whether he has punched anyone or not.

Otis

It's the Marlon King thing. As long as he scores goals we don't care. I think we all need to be better than that.

I recall quite a number of people talking about the slur upon Jimmy Saville and being outraged at any accusations against him very early into the investigation. I'm sure loads of Cliff fans will be outraged if he is proven to have committed any offcences against children too.

Cyrille Regis was a big hero of mine, but if I found out he raped someone or was a paedophile or a thug, then I would want him brought to justice.

This Clarkson thing should be absolutely nothing to do with whether he is good at his job or not and everything to do with whether he is breaking creeds he shouldn't break and offending people he shouldn't be offending.

Otis

Worth airing again I think.

[video=youtube;K7CnMQ4L9Pc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc[/video]

Otis

Or this one.

[video=youtube;xgABbHPdwH4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgABbHPdwH4[/video]

lewys33

it's fine saying if you don't like him, don't watch him, but this is the BBC and we pay for him.

I don't think it is all just rumour anyway is it? He definitely did the slope thing and the nigger thing and the Argentine thing and the Gordon Brown thing and I think he has pretty much admitted to this latest incident.

Like I said, I think it is best for him (and the others) to leave the BBC.

All the things that have happened with Clarkson have not been black and white have they? It is just simply if you like him you accept what he is saying, if you don't then you won't. This latest thing he has denied hitting him but said he regrets it?

Yes he does have to go if it has proven that he did. However like I said previously lets not pretend that if someone in the workplace was "top dog" or "top performer" that management wouldn't try their best to find a way to keep them (and probably succeed). So it's not just a "Clarkson" thing ........

lewys33

It's the Marlon King thing. As long as he scores goals we don't care. I think we all need to be better than that.

I recall quite a number of people talking about the slur upon Jimmy Saville and being outraged at any accusations against him very early into the investigation. I'm sure loads of Cliff fans will be outraged if he is proven to have committed any offcences against children too.

Cyrille Regis was a big hero of mine, but if I found out he raped someone or was a paedophile or a thug, then I would want him brought to justice.

This Clarkson thing should be absolutely nothing to do with whether he is good at his job or not and everything to do with whether he is breaking creeds he shouldn't break and offending people he shouldn't be offending.

So it's OK to jump on the "we should be better than this" bandwagon when it's Clarkson - but Ann Lucas gets slated for saying she would not be going to the games when he played for us? (Not a personal attack Otis just saying)

Otis

So it's OK to jump on the "we should be better than this" bandwagon when it's Clarkson - but Ann Lucas gets slated for saying she would not be going to the games when he played for us? (Not a personal attack Otis just saying)

I'm not just saying it cause it's Clarkson, I am saying we react differently if it is someone famous we like. That shouldn't enter into it if someone has done wrong. Everyone should be equal under the law and under the given rules.

James Smith

We don't know what actually happened yet and it is I believe innocent until proven guilty. Top Gear is obviously a high profile show for the BBC and has over 350m viewers worldwide which puts them more under the scrutiny spotlight than most BBC programmes. Plus of course the history of the revamped show which is somewhat unhelpful. The Argentina violence is something that I'm told was very likely to happen espescially heading that far south and was only increased by the prominence of the show. I read on the Internet at Christmas someone who had done some research and found historical quotes from Clarkson about his liking for that model of car and the history of the numberplate which was assigned to that car.

Whilst I don't approve of non consensual violence I have witnessed it at work. After one Christmas party at a place I worked at two blokes one of who was the drunker of the two had a physical go at the other. No one was seriously hurt just a couple of staff with injured pride the next morning. It was all a storm in a pint glass, and after being told to reconcile their differences (not difficult as neither could remember much) life went on. This case will doubtless be different from that but it was the first time I had seen it happen.

Last edited:

James Smith

Actually the BBC made a large profit from Top Gear and it is I think their biggest seller abroad after Doctor Who. So you could argue that the overseas sales pay for him to appear on this show. I say "made" because they will be having to compensate the foreign broadcasters who have paid to simulcast the current series. That won't be cheap.

Otis

Actually the BBC made a large profit from Top Gear and it is I think their biggest seller abroad after Doctor Who. So you could argue that the overseas sales pay for him to appear on this show. I say "made" because they will be having to compensate the foreign broadcasters who have paid to simulcast the current series. That won't be cheap.

Bottom line is it shouldn't make any difference how popular the programme is or how many people are watching.

Should just be a simple question of right and wrong.

lewys33

I'm not just saying it cause it's Clarkson, I am saying we react differently if it is someone famous we like. That shouldn't enter into it if someone has done wrong. Everyone should be equal under the law and under the given rules.

Yes agreed, but this is where morales can be debated. Should people be given second chances or should they just be banished for eternity? Is it dependent on what they have done, or how many times they have done it?

Otis

Yes agreed, but this is where morales can be debated. Should people be given second chances or should they just be banished for eternity? Is it dependent on what they have done, or how many times they have done it?

Yep, but Clarkson appears to be a serial offender and he did know very well he was on a formal, final warning.

Covstu

He's past his sell by date, one trick pony,bit of a bore. Kind of like Tim Lovejoy
I agree but tens of thousands don't. I must admit I went through a phas of loving top gear, it was funny and differnt from the dryness of other car shows but it has worn thin a little. It seems to be a contest of how controversial it can be and not actually about the motors. Top gear wouldn't exist without clarkson however...

Otis

I agree but tens of thousands don't. I must admit I went through a phas of loving top gear, it was funny and differnt from the dryness of other car shows but it has worn thin a little. It seems to be a contest of how controversial it can be and not actually about the motors. Top gear wouldn't exist without clarkson however...

I see that very much as a plus point myself.

Have not the slightest interest in cars whatsoever, past merely having one to get me from A to B. I find car talk incredibly boring and sports cars totally pointless.

For some though, I do realise that cars are important to them. I used to work with a guy who would wear his driving gloves for every journey, come rain or shine, come Winter or blistering heat.

He looked ridiculous.

rondog1973

I see that very much as a plus point myself.

Have not the slightest interest in cars whatsoever, past merely having one to get me from A to B. I find car talk incredibly boring and sports cars totally pointless.

For some though, I do realise that cars are important to them. I used to work with a guy who would wear his driving gloves for every journey, come rain or shine, come Winter or blistering heat.

He looked ridiculous.
You worked with Alan Partridge?

Users who are viewing this thread