Tony Mowbray encouraged by quality of free agents keen to join Coventry City (1 Viewer)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Along with the other 50 clubs they'll be touted to and who will be able to offer a few more quid to them.

Not interested in the talk & build up, get them in & we'll see from there.

Bob Latchford

Will be interesting to see who arrives .

D

Deleted member 2477

Just another way of saying our wonderful SISU are investing fuck all in the club so Ive got no money for real signings

Hadji10

Just another way of saying our wonderful SISU are investing fuck all in the club so Ive got no money for real signings

Oh right, let's go and spend a shit load of money that we haven't got, that's served us so well in the past, hasn't it?

Twat.

mrtrench

Not being negative - just looking for balance: there is a risk here that Mowbray is referring to some big names well past their prime. Do we want a team like this? Personally I'd prefer to have a team of younger players with promise on 3 year contracts. We may not do much next season that way - but it really is a "two year plan" then rather than the series of one year plans we've had in recent memory.

skybluegod

Wasn't he also keen on Proswitch? He was also excited enough to sign Hunt. And Ramage.

Just saying :D

To balance it up he was also excited to sign, Jones, Armstrong, Murphy, Vincelot, Kent, Stephens.

He's got some wrong and got some right. At least he admits his mistakes.

skybluegod

Not being negative - just looking for balance: there is a risk here that Mowbray is referring to some big names well past their prime. Do we want a team like this? Personally I'd prefer to have a team of younger players with promise on 3 year contracts. We may not do much next season that way - but it really is a "two year plan" then rather than the series of one year plans we've had in recent memory.

Players with promise, come at a price. Not many get released. Any asset is tied down by most clubs. Thing is you say we might not do well next season, but why would that appeal to TM? His contract is finished by then. Would people be calling for it to be renewed if we finish mid-table? I don't think so.
What he has said, is that he doesn't want to rely on loans again as they burnt out this year, so he is going to attempt to get some more seasoned professionals. That doesn't sound like over 30's to me.

skybluetony176

One thing we have got going into next season that we didn't have in place going into this is the manager in place and possibly even more crucial a technical director. That should mean we can start recruiting earlier ahead of next season and have a wider choice of players. It's quite possible that the cream of the crop last summer had already committed by the time we'd started trying to recruit ahead of this season. Personally I'd like to see some late twenty something's who have experience playing in this league successfully, moved up a level but for whatever reasons haven't quite cut it, as long as that reason hasn't been stuck on the treatment table. TM's comments about wages is interesting. Is there a wage cap at the club? Does TM have complete control over the playing budget like we believe?

Brylowes

Oh right, let's go and spend a shit load of money that we haven't got, that's served us so well in the past, hasn't it?

Twat.
Why ,when someone points out we should be investing in the playing staff to take our
club forward, do you automatically jump on the 'spending shit loads that we've not got.
Whats wrong with spending within our means, y'know bringing in players that will
belong to the club under contract, rather than just here to get fit or gain experience.
Looking like next seasons gonna be another 'lottery '.

ollyservetta

same old same old ,that goes for the statement and the shit that comes after it ,id rather build from the bottom up ,no use pretending ,we are going nowhere with loanees and past its . and what ever we do ,with this ownership structure ,if we did well it would only benefit the share holders not the club .

Nick

Administrator
Why ,when someone points out we should be investing in the playing staff to take our
club forward, do you automatically jump on the 'spending shit loads that we've not got.
Whats wrong with spending within our means, y'know bringing in players that will
belong to the club under contract, rather than just here to get fit or gain experience.
Looking like next seasons gonna be another 'lottery '.

Haven't players come in on contracts already?

Brylowes

Haven't players come in on contracts already?
Nick,he is clearly stating and paving the way for a continued policy of being heavily reliant
on loans, rather than bringing a few in to compliment our own players.
But you know that.

Nick

Administrator
Nick,he is clearly stating and paving the way for a continued policy of being heavily reliant
But you know that.

So we haven't started bringing contract players in?

Captain Dart

One thing we have got going into next season that we didn't have in place going into this is the manager in place and possibly even more crucial a technical director. That should mean we can start recruiting earlier ahead of next season and have a wider choice of players. It's quite possible that the cream of the crop last summer had already committed by the time we'd started trying to recruit ahead of this season. Personally I'd like to see some late twenty something's who have experience playing in this league successfully, moved up a level but for whatever reasons haven't quite cut it, as long as that reason hasn't been stuck on the treatment table. TM's comments about wages is interesting. Is there a wage cap at the club? Does TM have complete control over the playing budget like we believe?

That's Rose & Vlad innit? I know they don't have much experience of this league, but I think that's not terribly important, if they're up to up they're up to it.

Last edited:

Captain Dart

But you know that.

Cash flow, cash flow.

D

Deleted member 2477

Hadji i see your grasp of the English language hasnt improved. Try picking your knuckles up off the floor. Arse hole

Last edited by a moderator:

steve82

Not all free's are shit players that no one wants. As we've seen over the years players run down there contracts to get "their" move not a move the club wants for the fee.
Sure some will price themselves out of our reach but some will suit our model of development.
On the talk of lack of investment are we not paying a likely undisclosed fee for JJ in July?

Nick

Administrator
Not all free's are shit players that no one wants. As we've seen over the years players run down there contracts to get "their" move not a move the club wants for the fee.
Sure some will price themselves out of our reach but some will suit our model of development.
On the talk of lack of investment are we not paying a likely undisclosed fee for JJ in July?

Leon Clarke for example.

steve82

How many contracted players will we have in the summer?
genuine question

How many of the current squad would you actually want here still contracted for another year...
We're actually in a good position to recruit and build to move forwards as a club this summer compared to last year. TM, MV would have all there targets in place this time around and who they hope to sign and all being well a few will come in.
There are plenty of good players in the 20-25 bracket in league 2 and the conference that are highly rated players. Be great to build a team to last a few season to build.

shy_tall_knight

I think TM will be a signifigant factor in attracting some better quality players. Loan players need to be restricted, we've had 4 seasons of loan players and although some have been exceptional it really unbalances the squad with a revolving door policy.

steve82

I think TM will be a signifigant factor in attracting some better quality players. Loan players need to be restricted, we've had 4 seasons of loan players and although some have been exceptional it really unbalances the squad with a revolving door policy.

I'm optimistic about the next stage of recruitment. I honestly believe TM has learned a lot form this year in charge.

Brylowes

But TM has just told us, there's loads of quality loans just gagging to play for CCFC.
Might be wrong but I'm guessing, he's giving us an insight into our forthcoming
transfer policy. Other teams in our league will sign there full quota of loans, there's
will be to supplement the squad, but I've got a feeling our team will be built around
ours.

Again.

H

Huckerby

annoys me this....it only started going tits up when we got the so called "experienced" players in half way through the season.

if he just left it alone we'd have probably been alright

covcity4life

big assumption to make

he says youth fallen away which is true
old guys didnt have a great impact

damned both ways

need a mix. or just a team full of players between 23-28

Users who are viewing this thread