Tony Mowbray closing in on transfer targets - but won't make panic signings (1 Viewer)

LB87ccfc

Coventry City boss closing in on the players he wants but determined not to make mistakes

Tony Mowbray admits he’d like to have more summer signings in the bag by now but insists he won’t be rushed into making mistakes in the transfer market.
The Coventry City boss completed his first deal yesterday when Marcus Tudgay put pen to paper on a new one-year deal, while fellow senior player Chris Stokes and rookie midfielder Ivor Lawton are expected to follow.

Mowbray is also in talks with centre-back Reda Johnson and striker Nick Proschwitz about extending their stay at the Ricoh Arena but supporters are desperate for news on new targets capable of leading the charge for promotion.

There will be signings but, for me, football clubs make so many mistakes by going out and buying the first players agents phone up and tell them about,” said the manager, who revealed the club have been close to signing a number of fresh faces.
“Fans will have their own ideas of what is and isn’t a good player but football is about balance and you have to balance your team. You can’t just go and buy what you think is a good player.
“You have to balance speed, power, creativity, experience, all of those things really.

“Ultimately football managers get judged over 46 games. Let’s wait and see how it goes. The bottom line is, while I have the greatest respect for supporters, what I’m manager of the club for is to make the decision on who and when we sign players.
“And at this moment in time I would have lke to have had a signing or two done by now and we have been pretty close to getting three or four.
"We could have been sat here with three or four and signed more than anyone in our league at this stage and everyone would have gone, ‘Woah, look at Coventry...’.
“We’re pretty close and yet until they’re done they’re not done. Let’s wait and see.
“There are a lot of weeks to go until the season starts so let’s judge the team when we’re ready to go. I can’t build Rome in day, but we will get there.”

sotv1987

Been close to signing 3 or 4??? does that mean he's been turned down by the players, maybe he is finding it more difficult to get players in than he originally thought?
Still plenty of time though!

ajsccfc

I personally hope he rushes through some signings so I can complain about them based on the Wikipedia summary I'll rush-read having never seen them play before. He would sign that terrible player [citation needed] because he's a clueless yes man

mark82

Been close to signing 3 or 4??? does that mean he's been turned down by the players, maybe he is finding it more difficult to get players in than he originally thought?
Still plenty of time though!

That is a little concerning.

shy_tall_knight

Best signing since relegation Leon Clarke however we would be hard pressed to identify many other good signings pre- season or during the season. Moussa Fleck JOB Reda - are the only ones I can think of. That is a pretty poor record by a combination of managers but 1 common ingredient - Waggott. Hopefully he is nowhere near the process

fernandopartridge

Best signing since relegation Leon Clarke however we would be hard pressed to identify many other good signings pre- season or during the season. Moussa Fleck JOB Reda - are the only ones I can think of. That is a pretty poor record by a combination of managers but 1 common ingredient - Waggott. Hopefully he is nowhere near the process

Moussa signed during the season

covcity4life

dont mean 3 or 4 feel through, might mean they are still waiting to confirm then.

we could sign all of them in one day! (a thursday of course)

Astute

Sadly he is starting to sound like Pressley for me.

In what way?

So far all he has said is how it is. At least he has kept us updated. SP would be telling us how good it all is. And that we didn't need any defenders as we had an international in Webster while needing 7 strikers.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Sadly he is starting to sound like Pressley for me.

..."absolutely outstanding. I can't fault the players...they were absolutely terrific, make no mistake...."
Oh no the nightmare is flooding back. I thought I was cured. It's in my head again. I need help.

Grendel

That is why the shy-tall-knight said "pre season or during the season"

Out of interest when else can you sign a player?

Users who are viewing this thread