Tony Mowbray and Jimmy Hill (1 Viewer)

Voice_of_Reason

My thoughts are if Tony Mowbray manages to get us promoted into the Championship the circustances now are far more difficult than when Jimmy Hill got us promoted. Financial Fair Play plus may other contributing factors make TM's task far more difficult than in the 1960's when JH came in and took over.

skybluesam66

i think league 1 is like old football, where anybody can compete with anybody else
for him to get us to the premier league however would be very much more an achievement

GaryJones

You may be right but both will go down as miracle workers in my book!
JH brought so many other new & fresh things to the club in his time - JH was a trailblazer of the day.
To compare TM we will need 2 promotions and a firm footing back in the Premier.

shmmeee

TM has the loans system at his disposal in a way that JH didn't.

JH had a maximum wage and no silly transfer fees or Bosmans to destroy his team. He also had the backing of an economically successful city. Plus a game that was nowhere near as competitive and professional as today's.

It's like when people try and compare old players to today's greats, it just can't be done, the game is so different.

Grendel

This league is not that different. Managerial ability can still make a significant impact providing they have a competitive budget. The differentials are far worse in the next league up.

rupert_bear

Good thing is TM bless him hasn't the face for TV and would stay the course. Jimmy Hill didn't but did have a beard !

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

JH had a maximum wage and no silly transfer fees or Bosmans to destroy his team. He also had the backing of an economically successful city. Plus a game that was nowhere near as competitive and professional as today's.

It's like when people try and compare old players to today's greats, it just can't be done, the game is so different.

Maximum wage was no longer in place when Jimmy became manager. It was abolished mainly due to the actions of Jimmy as head of the PFA

lifeskyblue

Impossible to compare in today's over 'professional' and money is God demands of football but agree with others that at league one level the manager can make a huge difference. Where I think they do compare is the way in which they have developed team spirit and a willingness to work for each other. I am impressed that players on the pitch celebrate together and when they are not playing still act as part of the team. Tudgay hasn't played much but is still geeing up others in the warm up etc. Armstrong when on international duty was tweeting encouragement. JH did much the same having Curtis and machin and the rest having a great cameraderie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddsdube

Others teams will have huge budgets compared to ours if in championship next season. Especially those recently in prem. However Norwich, Southampton and Bournemouth have all shown what can be done with a good manager and a confident team.

Team could look very different though if none of the loans come back!

stupot07

Others teams will have huge budgets compared to ours if in championship next season. Especially those recently in prem. However Norwich, Southampton and Bournemouth have all shown what can be done with a good manager and a confident team.

Team could look very different though if none of the loans come back!

Dunno about Norwich, but Southampton had the second largest wage bill in the championship (£29m), and Bournemouth lost £10m in their first championship season, and having spent a bit of money and improved their squad likely to have made even bigger losses in their promotion season.

Our wage bill is likely to be about £7m if we get promoted, we won't be challenging for promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
As much as I rate Tony Mowbray's achievements since he's been here, I will always rate Jimmy Hill as the greatest manager we ever had. I'm in my mid 60's and have seen no end of managers at the club - some good, some awful, mentioning no names (are you listening Strap-on, you twat!), but having gone through the list mentally, I think "Sir" Jimmy will go down as the greatest ever at our club. An absolute gentleman and a nicer guy you couldn't wish to meet!

stupot07

Plus no transfer window, you could sell and buy players whenever you wanted / needed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

letsallsingtogether

We had better start collecting then for the TM Statue for the new Ground.

He hasn't done anything yet we need to get out of this league and then into the Prem before he can stop cleaning Jimmy's Boots.
Not even Xmas yet!!!

letsallsingtogether

Plus no transfer window, you could sell and buy players whenever you wanted / needed them.

But you also only had one sub.

Gazolba

There is absolutely no comparison between Jimmy Hill and Tony Mowbray. Mowbray is a good manager who has done well so far. Jimmy Hill was a revolutionary. He introduced so many new concepts like first all-seater stadium, first electronic scoreboard and three points for a win instead of two, which was adopted worldwide.

Users who are viewing this thread