Tom Hanks (1 Viewer)

Malaka

I have just watched Bridge of Spies and thought has anyone made as many good films as Tom Hanks?
Philadelphia, Forest Gump, Captain Phillips, Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan. I cant remember seeing a bad film with him in it

Otis

I liked the Money Pit. Got reasonable reviews too.

Cloud Atlas is a bit of a mess I thought.

Joe vs the Volcano? Bonfire of the Vanities? Probably not terrible, but below average.

Think his performances can carry a below average film.

Marty

I think hes a brilliant actor. The burbs is a great film.

harvey098

Di Caprio probably has a better filmography for me!

Catch Me If You Can
Inception
Wolf of wall street
Blood Diamond
The deaparted
Shutter Island
Gangs of New York

Could go on...

Otis

This is all very well but isnt he just an adult playing lets pretend for a living
Yep! Brilliant isn't it. And pays incredibly handsomely too.

A friend of my daughter's got paid £10,000 for one day's work advertising Post it Notes. Not bad for a 9 yr old.

Best job in the world so I'm told.

Nick

Administrator
Yep! Brilliant isn't it. And pays incredibly handsomely too.

A friend of my daughter's got paid £10,000 for one day's work advertising Post it Notes. Not bad for a 9 yr old.

Best job in the world so I'm told.
Really??? 10 grand?

NorthernWisdom

Will offer a word of caution though - it helps if you have the mentality to fail.

The desire/expectation to hit £multi-million film contracts sometimes means those who don't get there, and have the insecurity of piecemeal theatre work sometimes come under all kinds of psychological pressures.

That's not a 'don't do it' but it is a caution that it ain't necessarily all wine and roses. Not only is there the insecurity of not knowing where or when your next job is, but there's also the stresses on your psyche of playing a different person to yourself. If you can handle that and are able to treat the big jobs as bonuses then great. If not...

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
One of the best "character" roles for him was Forrest Gump. He played it superbly.

Otis

Will offer a word of caution though - it helps if you have the mentality to fail.

The desire/expectation to hit £multi-million film contracts sometimes means those who don't get there, and have the insecurity of piecemeal theatre work sometimes come under all kinds of psychological pressures.

That's not a 'don't do it' but it is a caution that it ain't necessarily all wine and roses. Not only is there the insecurity of not knowing where or when your next job is, but there's also the stresses on your psyche of playing a different person to yourself. If you can handle that and are able to treat the big jobs as bonuses then great. If not...
Fair points NW.

Have been on a fair few film and TV sets though and every actor I have spoken to absolutely loves it. Does have its up and downs for sure.

One bloke my daughter worked with was the star of a show in the 1980's. He did the ad my daughter was working on, which must have paid him really well, but he did say until that, he had been working in theatre in Stratford and though it was £750 a week, that didn't include his accommodation, which he had to pay for himself.

Biggest thing for him in terms of downers was that of working away from his 18 month old daughter.

Pipehitterz

bloody love tom hanks, money pit still makes me laugh to this day

has made some dross although his acting has only ever looked suspect in that cloud atlas, although he was just part of t rubbbish non film imo

hated a few of his films, da vincii double were crap on a stick

i think to thread should highlight his best performances , as forrest gumps been mentioned , ill go for philadelphia

Users who are viewing this thread