To the Football League Show (1 Viewer)

Otis

Shots on target

Coventry 8, Middlesborough 8.

Just saying like.

:jerkit:

Nonleagueherewecome

Just going through my third sitting. I thought the coverage of our game was brilliant. Superb commentary, with some truly memorable lines:

-"Platt again wins it" (1st goal build-up)
"How about this for a calm, collected finish by McSheffrey?"
-"McSheffrey, has the beating of Williams...hasn't he just! McSheffrey was just too clever, had him pinned in the corner" (FK before 2nd goal)
"Quality ball by Bell, who really has made a tremendous impact since he came on" (3rd goal)
-"This is Bell, twisting and turning.." (shot on left by Bell)
-"What a pass by David Bell! Nimely turned the defence inside-out.."
"Cut out by Clingan, who's put in the miles today"
"Nimely yet again..the out ball always available for him (Christie)"

The commentator seemed to see it as I did-including thinking that Sammy was tireless. The men who stood out for him were clearly Bell, McSheffrey,Nimely and Platt, who he was clearly massively impressed with, particularly Bell.

Post match, Manish just seemed to be bitching like a true Leicester fan, but Claridge was having none of it.

"What do you think about these arrangements where a player can't play against his old club?"
"If I'm the selling manager, then I'm gonna do that! If someone wants my player enough, they aren't gonna be bothered about him missing one game."

And on the Nimely goal (which the last replay shows WAS in):
"That's some header. The neck muscles there were fully extended, he's up against a much bigger lad in Bennett, and there's no pace on the ball"

Manish "Was it over the line"?
Claridge, unhesitatingly bluntly, "Yes".

He also said of Nimely during other highlights of his shot: "This is when they're well on top and his confidence was high-but he was at the heart of everything they did today."

I liked how Claridge had clearly watched the whole game live. He has his critics, but I think he's a quality pundit who knows his lower league onions.

To top it off, there was a cracking winning goal for Grandison for Shrewsbury, AFC Wimbledon came from behind to win 4-3 away, and they showed all of our goals again in the closing credits. I'm going to miss this show next season :mad:

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

I forgot the Di Canio rant. Blooming marvellous. :claping hands:

Otis

Any neutral watching that game will have thought Boro were all over us. They showed chance after chance for them, then showed our 3 goals and then only when we had the 3 goals did they show any further opportunities.

The game was a lot more one sided than was portrayed on that show.

Yes, Boro had a couple of near misses, but in the first half Sheff had a shot narrowly over the ball and Deegan had a chance in the 6 yard box.

Coventry 8 shots on target, Boro, 8 shots on target.

You wouldn't have thought so from the highlights the Beeb showed last night.

6 Generations

Clingan was careless for the whole of the 1st half. He was caught in possession and passed the ball aimlessly.

He was much better in the second half.

Looks like he is treading water and seeing out his contract to me.

He is a good player but looks disinterested.

just my opinion.

Covstu

id love to have him as our manager, even if its only for his post / pre / during match ranting. He was hilarious! Post match interview was top quality. Laugh a minute.

It was good to see more than just the goals.

totally agree, he would give the lads alot of passion or just get rid of them.......eastwood

Brighton Sky Blue

I liked how they referred to us as 'the Championship's rock-bottom side' or 'the bottom side' at most possible opportunities...

scroobiustom

The FLS is the worst piece of crap on the BBC up there with strictly or whatever its called.

Last night I watched it for the second time ever, the other time some women was reading emails!?

Still pleased to see cov win and well played mcsheff even if his performance went unnoticed by many.

Nonleagueherewecome

Football League Show did have a touch of MOTD in the 90s. I don't mind!

That's what I thought-as in we were on it! I hope it ends up on Youtube as I think I'll enjoy watching our highlights again in 10-15 years time. I'll be thinking "I don't remember David Bell being this good..:thinking about:"

Nonleagueherewecome

The FLS is the worst piece of crap on the BBC up there with strictly or whatever its called.

Last night I watched it for the second time ever, the other time some women was reading emails!?

Still pleased to see cov win and well played mcsheff even if his performance went unnoticed by many.

They got rid of that woman ages ago. Comparing it to Strictly is hogwash. Basically, you don't like football?

skybluedan

just cant believe that they have that ugly weirdo looking prick claridge on

scroobiustom

They got rid of that woman ages ago. Comparing it to Strictly is hogwash. Basically, you don't like football?

I don't think its a question of liking football really, more so a dislike of Manish and Claridge and the general format itself.

Nonleagueherewecome

just cant believe that they have that ugly weirdo looking prick claridge on

Raising the bar with another well articulated observation again, there!

What is with all the FLS bashers? Do you think it is a good thing that next season there won't be any free to air coverage of anything outside of the top flight? Can't you see that this is just another case of football becoming a celebrity-obsessed, big-money, Premiership or nothing mess?

I love watching all the lower league action, because I have an appreciation of the game at all levels. There are probably 30-50 guys in L1/L2 that will be future Prem players, I like to have actually seen players we sign from there play before, and the game down there is every bit as important as the big profile end. Thinking otherwise is to be ignorant of over 50% of The Football League.

Steve Claridge goes to 3-4 games a week, is a fantastic reader of the game, and knows his lower-league players inside out. He is objective and a better analyst than any of the smug mugs on MOTD. If we were to be able to afford a scout, I'd snap him up tomorrow. Oh but he played for Leicester, we must hate him and call him names..yeah, and he also played for about 15 other clubs! Grow up.

superskyblue

Steve Claridge is a complete and utter moron, his comments are so predictable, lacking in any sort of depth/analysis and also often factually incorrect. How he has a job is beyond me, and in my opinion there are a multitude of other better presenters with the BBC.

Brighton Sky Blue

Raising the bar with another well articulated observation again, there!

What is with all the FLS bashers? Do you think it is a good thing that next season there won't be any free to air coverage of anything outside of the top flight? Can't you see that this is just another case of football becoming a celebrity-obsessed, big-money, Premiership or nothing mess?

I love watching all the lower league action, because I have an appreciation of the game at all levels. There are probably 30-50 guys in L1/L2 that will be future Prem players, I like to have actually seen players we sign from there play before, and the game down there is every bit as important as the big profile end. Thinking otherwise is to be ignorant of over 50% of The Football League.

Steve Claridge goes to 3-4 games a week, is a fantastic reader of the game, and knows his lower-league players inside out. He is objective and a better analyst than any of the smug mugs on MOTD. If we were to be able to afford a scout, I'd snap him up tomorrow. Oh but he played for Leicester, we must hate him and call him names..yeah, and he also played for about 15 other clubs! Grow up.

I'd say that actually, Steve Claridge's analysis extends to 'they're winning, they're good', to 'they're losing, they're not so good', with maybe a bit of 'he's scoring goals, he's in good form' and 'he's not scoring goals, he's struggling'-it's just stating the obvious. There's not much attempt to put form in context either-so praising West Ham for topping the table with a full complement of PL players, or criticising ourselves when our financial issues are very well documented, just lacks a bit of effort. What I will say though is that he speaks clearly and usually comes across well-even though I disagree with what he says ;)

Grendel

Steve Claridge is a complete and utter moron, his comments are so predictable, lacking in any sort of depth/analysis and also often factually incorrect. How he has a job is beyond me, and in my opinion there are a multitude of other better presenters with the BBC.

Claridge is a reasonable observer of the game and the format of the programme is good. Put it this way, we will miss it when it's gone and I seem to remember a thread not so long ago complaining about it's impending demise!

Claridge is on because he practically played for every league club not just Leicester, he was only there for 2 years. I assume you never could stand Garry Lineker on MOD either. I make it 19 clubs for Claridge in the league.

chiefdave

Claridge clearly doesn't keep an eye on what's going on when he thinks SISU are going to get the chequebook out to start signing players.

superskyblue

Gary Lineker and Steve Claridge's jobs are different. Lineker is an anchor and not there to voice 'expert' opinion, whereas Claridge is and doesn't.

ccfctommy

MOTD is getting bad now with their sit on the fence golf club boys punditry. FLS has its flaws, but its far better than The Championship on ITV. Now that was bad.

Grendel

Gary Lineker and Steve Claridge's jobs are different. Lineker is an anchor and not there to voice 'expert' opinion, whereas Claridge is and doesn't.

To be fair I meant to reply to the quote above you and the anti Leicester rant which is why lineker got mentioned.

Nonleagueherewecome

You should try listening to him on R5 tonight, he's been great on Mario Stamp-gate, Wenger Sub-gate, agents, and more. Absolutely miles away from some of the quotes above, which clearly demonstrate a lack of knowledge of much of the mans work. Intellectual and confrontationally passionate in equal amounts. His analysis of the abject England displays in the last World Cup were as tactically astute as any I've heard from a pundit. He's on for a while yet, and you can catch the earlier stuff on iplayer ;).

It is extremely comforting that at least one ex-footballer is able to articulate intelligent viewpoints. Legend in non-league, too. No pretentiousness with him-he wouldn't have played where he has in non-league unless he loved the game to death.

Grendel

Just about to make the same point NLHWC very good listen -- not quite Garth Crooks is he?

Nonleagueherewecome

Just about to make the same point NLHWC very good listen -- not quite Garth Crooks is he?

He's great, sounds like he wants to chin the guys he's debating with! The Deegan of pundits?

Nonleagueherewecome

I loved this point: "There are players sat in the stand on 70-80k p/w! There should be a salary cap of 20k p/w, then you can earn up to 70 or 80k if you get out on the pitch and earn it in performance bonuses."

Jason Roberts didn't like it, whinging about how there would be "jealousy in training..I don't know how those training sessions are going to work..". Pathetic!

Grendel

Yes that was funny. Roberts is the epitome of what is wrong with the game. Some stupid clause in his contract that elevates his worth if he plays one mote game. So paid by the club now for doing nothing and paid by the beeb for saying nothing - of any worth.

Users who are viewing this thread