TLS Oxford Report - The Gift of the Dab (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

Do you know how many games we’ve let late goals in this season? That’s right none!!

Home wins have all been won with clean sheets in the league so we must be doing something right including sitting on leads

And sorry it’s a darn good read!

Last edited:

HerneBayGaz

Great read.
I'm so glad I was nowhere near you when we scored the third goal. I would probably still be in intensive care:emoji_bed:

Sky Blue Harry H

Do you know how many games we’ve let late goals in this season? That’s right none!!

Home wins have all been won with clean sheets in the league so we must be doing something right including sitting on leads

You tell him Pete ! To be fair, I think he;s right about the slightly 'pragmatic' approach to defending leads. The main problem is neither of our current wingers are a) holding the ball up well enough or b) adding a lot to us defensively - this puts pressure on the rest of the team, which will naturally retreat to deal with attacks. As someone else pointed out, Jobello(and I still quite like him) is no Thomas (in terms of either industry or defensive capability) Luckily Dabo (ignore yesterday!) seems able to deal with his area of the pitch and Mason has managed to deal with Hiwula's lack of assistance. Think we may have a few more wobbles until the Hiwula/Kastaneer/Jobello performances pick up (for me Hiwula is the more disappointing one, as the others are finding their feet)

DannyThomas_1981

Fantastic read as always 87mint - thank you. Something I always look forward too.

I agree that Robins needs to be more flexible in reacting to game situations. The thousands of crosses yesterday pinged in from the left needed to be dealt with and that was evident after 15-20 minutes. I would have introduced McFaz at half time and played 5-3-2 with the full backs pushing up to cut off the supply from the wings. I would also have started O'Hare to get us on the front foot from the start. Those crosses pinged in from the left ultimately cost us 2 goals - could have been more. Mcallum was left very exposed in yesterday's 4-3-3.

And it's very true that we get far too defensive when we go ahead. As Brian Clough said: 'attack is the best form of defence - the opposition can't score when you have the ball.'

lifeskyblue

Great read as usual and like those above I do worry about our tactics when ahead; as a unit we drop 5-10 yards deeper than we should. As a result we allow sides to dominate the ball and rarely have an outlet. At St. Andrews we have got away with it but have been second best in last 20mins to three poor sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87mint

Fair point, things are going well this season. But one swallow doesn't make a summer. Robins has been doing this since he walked in the door and just because we've gotten away with it so far this year that hardly means the problem has gone away.

Perhaps he has sculpted the perfect squad this year and we will be able to ride out close margins from now on. I hope so, really I do. I just doubt it.

fernandopartridge

I must pull you up on the description of the 3rd goal, it was Watson's pass into Shipley who then played the nice reverse ball into O'Hare for the 3rd.
Good stuff otherwise. I think we miss Bayliss, too often our defenders don't have options showing for the ball

Sky Blue Pete

I must pull you up on the description of the 3rd goal, it was Watson's pass into Shipley who then played the nice reverse ball into O'Hare for the 3rd.
Good stuff otherwise. I think we miss Bayliss, too often our defenders don't have options showing for the ball
Yep that’s right or they don’t have the ability to make time on the ball.

DannyThomas_1981

I think that's right Fernando. I do believe when we see O'Hare and Allen in midfield that will change.

GaryJones

Great read as usual and like those above I do worry about our tactics when ahead; as a unit we drop 5-10 yards deeper than we should. As a result we allow sides to dominate the ball and rarely have an outlet. At St. Andrews we have got away with it but have been second best in last 20mins to three poor sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fooking Hell - Robins would get a nosebleed if he introduced a sub before the 70th minute!

GaryJones

Users who are viewing this thread