Those coming up (1 Viewer)

oucho

Having been to the 92 league grounds, I can tell you with some confidence that there are some bleak away days coming up....

Accrington - worst away ground in the 92, open terrace, with toilets that would shame a village cricket team. The stand on one side of the pitch looks like something from toy-town with some two-storey houses behind easily overlooking the pitch. They have a rich owner who might be developing this side, but with a historic average attendance of less than 2000 in L2, they had no need of this.

Bristol Rovers - runner up for worst ground. A terrible mishmash of stands, all bar one of which run the full width of the pitch. Away fans stand on an open terrace in the corner. All the stands are mismatched and it's buried in a housing estate.

Northampton - enough said in terms of bad memories. For those of us who didn't go (I visited for a NTFC game years ago), it's a tiny shoebox of a ground apart from one side with no pubs nearby since the pub behind it burned down. Tiny away end with nothing much food-wise nearby.

Oxford - decent enough stadium but it's well outside Oxford and no pubs nearby, except in the frightening Blackbird Leys estate nearby - I was warned by an Oxford fan never to go there except in a big group in daylight.

Plymouth - actually nice enough stadium and away end but takes ages to get to, and not loads of pubs in the local area and not much around the ground.

Wimbledon - surrounded by suburban housing nowhere near a tube line, tiny little ground with a bit of terracing in one corner for away fans. Pain in the bum to get to from central London and the nearest decent pubs are a mile away in Kingston.

Portsmouth - most of us have been there before, but for those that haven't it's a tatty old stadium located in a rough part of the Pompey outskirts, not many decent pubs anywhere near and the away seating is behind some pillars with the seats bolted onto a former terrace, with facilities as basic as you can imagine!

Wycombe - sited in the fields miles from the town centre, one road in, one road out. Only 1 pub in walking distance, otherwise it's low rise housing and an industrial estate.

Cambridge - miles from the centre with nothing much nearby apart from anonymous housing, ground stands in a cow field and away fans are sited in the oldest, most crumbling part of the ground.

Don't you just love playing in the lower leagues?!?!

steve82

Some very small grounds there, more traditional tho with a FA cup feel. I go with my 11 year old son, not so sure the terraces of Bristol rovers or Accrington are suitable for him.
I'd like accy, to come up as its a massive achievement for a club of its size.
Is also like to see pompy back on the climb and back in our league. Enjoyed previous visits to fratton park.
Northampton will be a bit of force I think if they recruit well over the summer to supplement there squad. Momentum is there to take forwards.

Alkhen

I love old shitty grounds! the other week I went to watch Gloucester play rugby and got to stand in the Shed. Amazing atmosphere, helps that fans are mixed and that you can drink but still standing beats sitting any day of the week.

Pipehitterz

Northampton is quite a tidy ground and there's a big sports style hungry horse in eye shot of the ground , showing live games before and after the game .

That's the more accurate description .

CCFC88

Wont make much difference who comes up, theirs enough shithole cowsheds in this division anyway

Love away days at sh*thole cowsheds in this division. Much prefer these to the generic souless bowl ikea stadium. Brighton, Hull, Cardiff, Reading.

I can tell what kind of fan you are as you dont like visiting these "cowsheds"

ceetee

Last time I looked it was the restaurant behind the pub at Sixfields that burned down. unless something additional has happened.

LB87ccfc

Love away days at sh*thole cowsheds in this division. Much prefer these to the generic souless bowl ikea stadium. Brighton, Hull, Cardiff, Reading.

I can tell what kind of fan you are as you dont like visiting these "cowsheds"

LMAO Home and away for me for over 20 years lad, I have been to grounds that dont even exist any more. Dick. Lots of hugs.

PS we can actually agree, the old shit hole cowsheds much more atmospheric.

fernandopartridge

tbh i just like going to new grounds - the grimmer the better in my opinion
Agree, one thing our prolonged stay in divisions does is provide great variation in grounds to visit. Be interesting to see how many different clubs we've played in the league over 20 years. Got to be 70 easy.

North York’s Blue

The away end at Cambridge is ok, newish stand, with a roof and no pillers. Think you'll find its one of the better parts of the ground. Wimbledon is ok, been to a hell of a lot worse.

Last time I looked it was the restaurant behind the pub at Sixfields that burned down. unless something additional has happened.

Red Hot restaurant burnt down approx 18 months ago and then the Sixfields Tavern pub burnt down about 6 months ago and is still closed but being rebuilt

Grendel

Northampton is quite a tidy ground and there's a big sports style hungry horse in eye shot of the ground , showing live games before and after the game .

That's the more accurate description .

Yes sixfields is a pleasant enough stadium.

oucho

It's a shame there are so many new stadia amongst that lot, give me an old shed just outside the town centre any day.

Well only Portsmouth really fits that description...a lot of the new grounds are bland concrete boxes or ramshackle cowsheds miles from anywhere!!

skybluegod

Some very small grounds there, more traditional tho with a FA cup feel. I go with my 11 year old son, not so sure the terraces of Bristol rovers or Accrington are suitable for him.
I'd like accy, to come up as its a massive achievement for a club of its size.
Is also like to see pompy back on the climb and back in our league. Enjoyed previous visits to fratton park.
Northampton will be a bit of force I think if they recruit well over the summer to supplement there squad. Momentum is there to take forwards.

Was as talking to a mate who goes to Northampton games, who seems to think they will struggle with their current squad next year.
He says they seem to rely on one player, Ricky Holmes, who all their play runs through, everytime a player gets the ball they attempt To get it to him, and apparently championship teams are looking at him. howver he said there are one or two others, but he doesn't expect them to challenge which I found surprising.

steve82

Was as talking to a mate who goes to Northampton games, who seems to think they will struggle with their current squad next year.
He says they seem to rely on one player, Ricky Holmes, who all their play runs through, everytime a player gets the ball they attempt To get it to him, and apparently championship teams are looking at him. howver he said there are one or two others, but he doesn't expect them to challenge which I found surprising.

A few of there players in the PFA team of the year including Ricky Holmes.
Wonder what the stats are on how the champions of league 2 fair the following season.

skybluegod

A few of there players in the PFA team of the year including Ricky Holmes.
Wonder what the stats are on how the champions of league 2 fair the following season.
Yeah he mention a couple of others but names escape me, but he said barring 3 players they aren't good enough to be challenging. Maybe he doesn't realise how poor league one is

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

steve82

Yeah he mention a couple of others but names escape me, but he said barring 3 players they aren't good enough to be challenging. Maybe he doesn't realise how poor league one is

There keeper Adam smith, was one of the players sacked by Leicester I think, John Joe o'toole snd Ricky Holmes are the players named.
I don't think the step up from league 2 is as big anymore, it's the step up to the championship that's where the gulf is now.

skybluegod

There keeper Adam smith, was one of the players sacked by Leicester I think, John Joe o'toole snd Ricky Holmes are the players named.
I don't think the step up from league 2 is as big anymore, it's the step up to the championship that's where the gulf is now.
Yeah he mentioned O'Toole, but I believe wilder has transfer listed him two years in a row. Which I find odd

Skyblueweeman

Having been to the 92 league grounds, I can tell you with some confidence that there are some bleak away days coming up....

Accrington - worst away ground in the 92, open terrace, with toilets that would shame a village cricket team. The stand on one side of the pitch looks like something from toy-town with some two-storey houses behind easily overlooking the pitch. They have a rich owner who might be developing this side, but with a historic average attendance of less than 2000 in L2, they had no need of this.

Bristol Rovers - runner up for worst ground. A terrible mishmash of stands, all bar one of which run the full width of the pitch. Away fans stand on an open terrace in the corner. All the stands are mismatched and it's buried in a housing estate.

Northampton - enough said in terms of bad memories. For those of us who didn't go (I visited for a NTFC game years ago), it's a tiny shoebox of a ground apart from one side with no pubs nearby since the pub behind it burned down. Tiny away end with nothing much food-wise nearby.

Oxford - decent enough stadium but it's well outside Oxford and no pubs nearby, except in the frightening Blackbird Leys estate nearby - I was warned by an Oxford fan never to go there except in a big group in daylight.

Plymouth - actually nice enough stadium and away end but takes ages to get to, and not loads of pubs in the local area and not much around the ground.

Wimbledon - surrounded by suburban housing nowhere near a tube line, tiny little ground with a bit of terracing in one corner for away fans. Pain in the bum to get to from central London and the nearest decent pubs are a mile away in Kingston.

Portsmouth - most of us have been there before, but for those that haven't it's a tatty old stadium located in a rough part of the Pompey outskirts, not many decent pubs anywhere near and the away seating is behind some pillars with the seats bolted onto a former terrace, with facilities as basic as you can imagine!

Wycombe - sited in the fields miles from the town centre, one road in, one road out. Only 1 pub in walking distance, otherwise it's low rise housing and an industrial estate.

Cambridge - miles from the centre with nothing much nearby apart from anonymous housing, ground stands in a cow field and away fans are sited in the oldest, most crumbling part of the ground.

Don't you just love playing in the lower leagues?!?!

Fratton Park isn't on the outskirts of Pompey. Just saying...

Somerset Sky Blue

Well, I'm looking forward to Bristol rovers - seen all the other crap (or ones with character) grounds (ie Yeovil) in the south west in the last few years!

OffenhamSkyBlue

Nope, the Sixfields Tavern has gone up too. I quite like Sixfields, especially now they have the new stand, though can't say what the facilities are like in the away end. Easy to access from the M1, loads of cheap parking in one of the nearby fields.

You are wrong about Cambridge, although the city itself is a pain in the arse to get to, and there isn't much parking close by. Yes you have to walk through a cow field to get to the away end, but that is the only new bit of the ground. The intention was to make the popular support move to that end from the Newmarket Road end terraces, and develop the rest of the ground (which is a cowshed befitting its location), but the popular support made it clear that this was not a popular decision and stuck two popular fingers up. The owners also ran out of money, so no more of the planned redevelopment has made it to reality!

Wish Bristol Rovers hadn't had to move from Eastville (which is now a Tesco and Ikea), but that's ancient history!

CCFC88

LMAO Home and away for me for over 20 years lad, I have been to grounds that dont even exist any more. Dick. Lots of hugs.

PS we can actually agree, the old shit hole cowsheds much more atmospheric.

Well done mate, weve all been to Highfield Road. No need for the name calling thats just insensitive

Pipehitterz

Nope, the Sixfields Tavern has gone up too. I quite like Sixfields, especially now they have the new stand, though can't say what the facilities are like in the away end. Easy to access from the M1, loads of cheap parking in one of the nearby fields.

You are wrong about Cambridge, although the city itself is a pain in the arse to get to, and there isn't much parking close by. Yes you have to walk through a cow field to get to the away end, but that is the only new bit of the ground. The intention was to make the popular support move to that end from the Newmarket Road end terraces, and develop the rest of the ground (which is a cowshed befitting its location), but the popular support made it clear that this was not a popular decision and stuck two popular fingers up. The owners also ran out of money, so no more of the planned redevelopment has made it to reality!

Wish Bristol Rovers hadn't had to move from Eastville (which is now a Tesco and Ikea), but that's ancient history!
fuck me the tavern too, just googled it, another suspicious fire, whats the odds of 2 so similar ans so close to each other going up
shame, that was a top pub

side note, my whole family is from eastville bristol , so are all gasheads (bar the old man(robins)), next season i will be loving it if they come up

OffenhamSkyBlue

I grew up in Bristol, and went to Eastville every home game in the mid 70s, including in Div 2 when Manure had their spell down there. They were bad times for hooliganism, and Manure were the primary protagonists!

Users who are viewing this thread