"Thorn was a good scout" (1 Viewer)

stupot07

I think keane may have been talking about Coventry city as a team as a whole, at the time. Hyped up motivated and good enough to beat man utd.

I think he is puzzled as to why they can lift their game an beat utd on that day.

He thinks the extra effort and commitment they put in against utd. Is what they should do week in week out. Like he did.

If you want to have a pop at him I am sure you could say telfer could be messi if he tried hard. It is a lazy pointless comment for you to say.

Coventry lifted their game against Birmingham and beat them. It gave you an insight what these players can do. If they are driven and motivated.

Beating Birmingham is not like the example you gave.

What about non-league Sutton Utd when they knocked us out of the cup? Should they really have been a Div 1/PL side if they'd applied themselves better?

Grendel

What about non-league Sutton Utd when they knocked us out of the cup? Should they really have been a Div 1/PL side if they'd applied themselves better?

Was about to make the same point. 99 times out of 100 Coventry would have won easily this just happened to be the 1 in a 100 occasion.

stupot07

Coventry verses Sutton back then is comparable to coventry verses Birmingham now and
Man utd verses Coventry when Keane wrote his book?

Yes, it's an example of a lower ability team working harder and playing above their level in a one off game.

Grendel

Coventry verses Sutton back then is comparable to coventry verses Birmingham now and
Man utd verses Coventry when Keane wrote his book?

Why is it not comparable. Are you saying that they did not raise their game on that occasion above the norm?

Are you saying they beat Coventry without playing above their capabilities for a one occasion?

Brighton Sky Blue

Birmingham are having a very hit and miss season and I sincerely doubt playing us in the League Cup would've ranked high on their priorities. Any team can beat any other on the day-it's the ability to do it week in week out which decides your league standing.

Grendel

That supports the fact it is a silly comment.....

Are you saying Norwich should look to be above Arsenal at the end of the season and if they dont then the manager should be scrutinised for under achieving?

Should we have scrutinised thorn as we beat Leeds and Middlesborough but still went down?

Johnnythespider

Is the thread title a qoute from Jimmy savilles autobiography, it could explain a lot.

dongonzalos

Are you saying Norwich should look to be above Arsenal at the end of the season and if they dont then the manager should be scrutinised for under achieving?

Should we have scrutinised thorn as we beat Leeds and Middlesborough but still went down?

No Roy Keane was saying when Coventry beat them and Coventry play like Brazil. Their players should ask themselves why they can give that extra determination and lift their game against man utd. Why do they not give that extra level of commitment week in week out.

You and S7 are saying all the other comments about Robbie Simpson and Nani and Sutton and Coventry.

Our players showed in the performance for 45 mins against Bury what they are capable of. As they did for 90 minutes against Birmingham.

They are capable of it as they did it.

The question is why are they not applying the same work rate, passing and confidence week in week out.

Grendel

So when we beat Leeds and Middlesborough with dominant performances last season why were they the exception
Not the norm?

dongonzalos

So when we beat Leeds and Middlesborough with dominant performances last season why were they the exception
Not the norm?

I would say because we did not have a strong enough squad to adequately replace injured/suspended and sold players.

This season I feel we have. No doubt though you will tell me we have the worse players in history and will be lucky not to get relegated.

Brighton Sky Blue

I would say because we did not have a strong enough squad to adequately replace injured/suspended and sold players.

This season I feel we have. No doubt though you will tell me we have the worse players in history and will be lucky not to get relegated.

Well, technically, this team is guaranteed to be the worst to have been at the club since 1964 (or whenever we last occupied this division), regardless of where it finishes.

stupot07

No Roy Keane was saying when Coventry beat them and Coventry play like Brazil. Their players should ask themselves why they can give that extra determination and lift their game against man utd. Why do they not give that extra level of commitment week in week out.

You and S7 are saying all the other comments about Robbie Simpson and Nani and Sutton and Coventry.

Our players showed in the performance for 45 mins against Bury what they are capable of. As they did for 90 minutes against Birmingham.

They are capable of it as they did it.

The question is why are they not applying the same work rate, passing and confidence week in week out.

I really can't be arsed anymore. Because its Coventry and because it fits your argument then it must be right, however similar examples of 'cup ties' are exempt because it doesn't fit your argument.

Yes we played well against Bury in the first half, they outplayed us in the second half - does that prove what they are capable of? Or did we play poorly in that second half?

The reason our players can't perform like that week in week out is because they are poor players, some are poor technically, some are poor tactically, some are poor physically and they are all poor mentally.

dongonzalos

So despite signing 14 New players this season on top of the squad we already had. They should not be pushing for the top six, as they are poor for all the reasons above.

Thorne has made 9/10 (if you include goldie) bad signings, Robins has made 4 poor signings.

The sacking of our manager after 3 matches and taking 4 further matches to replace him. Is not the reason our season looks screwed, its the poor squad?

Last edited:

stupot07

Yes the sacking of thorn and delay in replacement has screwed the season, I stuck up for thorn last season but even I think we should have let him go at the end of the season.

And yes we have brought in poor players who are the wrong types of players to get you out of this league. Only 3 players in our squad look like top 6 players and 2 of them are leaving in January.

We still lack pace, width, physicality all over the pitch, a midfield maestro who can dictate play and goals, and we are now far more shakey at the back than we were last season.

lordsummerisle

The first half against Bury is rapidly gaining the legendary staus of our glorious 1-0 defeat away to West Brom under Coleman.

Brighton Sky Blue

The first half against Bury is rapidly gaining the legendary staus of our glorious 1-0 defeat away to West Brom under Coleman.

Don't be so cynical Lord. Every point gained by Thorn was done against odds more overwhelming than those faced by a mountain climbing snail.

Grendel

Don't be so cynical Lord. Every point gained by Thorn was done against odds more overwhelming than those faced by a mountain climbing snail.

The way some are speaking those first three games will go down in folklore - proof of promotion.

The only team to be promoted on 46 points. :)

Grendel

So despite signing 14 New players this season on top of the squad we already had. They should not be pushing for the top six, as they are poor for all the reasons above.

Thorne has made 9/10 (if you include goldie) bad signings, Robins has made 4 poor signings.

The sacking of our manager after 3 matches and taking 4 further matches to replace him. Is not the reason our season looks screwed, its the poor squad?

At last the penny drops - yes its the poor squad assembled for 4 months by a poor manager and as it transpires a poor assistant manager as well.

Brighton Sky Blue

The way some are speaking those first three games will go down in folklore - proof of promotion.

The only team to be promoted on 46 points. :)

The only manager to have 'well he held onto a draw against Bury' as his top achievement.

dongonzalos

Yes the sacking of thorn and delay in replacement has screwed the season, I stuck up for thorn last season but even I think we should have let him go at the end of the season.

And yes we have brought in poor players who are the wrong types of players to get you out of this league. Only 3 players in our squad look like top 6 players and 2 of them are leaving in January.

We still lack pace, width, physicality all over the pitch, a midfield maestro who can dictate play and goals, and we are now far more shakey at the back than we were last season.

A reasoned counter arguement well put.

That is how to debate a subject.

It is easy to throw in sarcastic one liners completely distorting a point someone else makes.

Users who are viewing this thread