Thorn having to manage team inherited from CC/AB???? (1 Viewer)

CJparker

Quite a few people I know have commented that we have had some problems because AT is managing a team/squad that he inherited from previous managers. After just 18 months in the job, I don't think this is true anymore:

Signed by Coleman
Wood
Baker
Bell
Hussey

Signed by Boothroyd
McSheffrey
ROD

Signed by AT
Murphy
Dunn
Brown (L)
Malaga
Edje
Barton
Jennings
Fleck
Kilbane
Elliot
Ball (L)
McDonald

I've excluded the academy gratuates and just looked at current players who have joined us from elsewhere. Certainly shows that AT is pretty much managing his own team!

Astute

So out of the players not signed this closed season only 3 of the 9 remaining players were signed by AT, and 2 of them are GK's.

So your point is?

Mucca Mad Boys

Quite a few people I know have commented that we have had some problems because AT is managing a team/squad that he inherited from previous managers. After just 18 months in the job, I don't think this is true anymore:

Signed by Coleman
Wood
Baker
Bell
Hussey

Signed by Boothroyd
McSheffrey
ROD

Signed by AT
Murphy
Dunn
Brown (L)
Malaga
Edje
Barton
Jennings
Fleck
Kilbane
Elliot
Ball (L)
McDonald

I've excluded the academy gratuates and just looked at current players who have joined us from elsewhere. Certainly shows that AT is pretty much managing his own team!

As a Astute pointed out, bar this close season he's only signed 3, 2 GKs.

Also, this is why people think we should give him 10 games to judge him as this is now HIS team!

Black6Osprey

Signed by Coleman
Wood
Baker
Bell
Hussey

Signed by Boothroyd
McSheffrey
ROD

Signed by AT
Murphy
Dunn
Brown (L)
Malaga
Edje
Barton
Jennings
Fleck
Kilbane
Elliot
Ball (L)
McDonald

I understand where your coming from and AT has no where to hide this season. Hopefully he wont have to... and Im not talking about his weight.

lordsummerisle

As a Astute pointed out, bar this close season he's only signed 3, 2 GKs.

Also, this is why people think we should give him 10 games to judge him as this is now HIS team!

He didn't scout any of them then?

Didn't stop most from judging him on his first 10 games as the best manager we've ever had, with even less of "his" team in it.

Astute

He should be judged this season. Anyone that says differently needs a straight jacket. The difference is how long to allow before making decisions. The start and end of the season is when you get the most surprise results.

Grendel

He should be judged this season. Anyone that says differently needs a straight jacket. The difference is how long to allow before making decisions. The start and end of the season is when you get the most surprise results.

A surprise result on Saturday may provide food for thought.

skybluedude

I think this issue isn't what set of players he has, tactically, we have not got the defence sorted, we have lost or drew far too many games from winning positions and the goals we concede are far too sloppy, we need another coach to get involved and sort out that defence, I think going forward and attacking we are great.

Mucca Mad Boys

Didn't stop most from judging him on his first 10 games as the best manager we've ever had, with even less of "his" team in it.

Yes, but CC and AB have the final say when all said and done, Thorn scouted Wood, said he's best CB in the Championship, but CC had the final say, and Coleman signed players like Eastwood + Clingan because he liked them. But I'm sure he scouted Hussey, not sure about Bell + Baker. Despite AT being scout, we don't know he would've signed those players had he been in charge.

ROD and Mcca were both ABs signings (I think).

Black6Osprey

Yes, but CC and AB have the final say when all said and done, Thorn scouted Wood, said he's best CB in the Championship, but CC had the final say, and Coleman signed players like Eastwood + Clingan because he liked them. But I'm sure he scouted Hussey, not sure about Bell + Baker. Despite AT being scout, we don't know he would've signed those players had he been in charge.

If Thorn said Wood was the best CB in the Championship why did he hardly ever play him in the Championship when he became manager?

Grendel

The only players he confirmed he scouted are bell, Mcpake and Keogh.

Nonleagueherewecome

If Thorn said Wood was the best CB in the Championship why did he hardly ever play him in the Championship when he became manager?

Great point: I think what it reveals is that a man will recommend a different player with different qualities to a manager when he's Scout to those he might sign for his own team. We were very direct under Coleman, and Wood is more of a direct CB than the ball-playing Keogh and Cranie. The same can be said for McPake. Thorn is certainly less of a long-ball merchant than Coleman.

As for the OP-I don't remember that. It's never even crossed my mind. It's fair to say that he's got rid of a few that he didn't fancy, or who were down the pecking order-Eastwood, Deegan and McPake being the obvious ones. Other than that, I think he was happy to use the players he had, there just wasn't enough of them. As he said at the forum, we stood still as far as strengthening, renewing, and "turning over" the squad goes for 18 months-two years, and you can never completely stand still in football like that. To that end, this can be called his team more as he's been able to sign players he wants. Murphy aside, that hasn't really been an option before.

dongonzalos

Common sence. However every mean and medium has its extremes. We have the odd extreme on here.

dongonzalos

So what if we bob along scrape draws get the odd win. Then on ten games the team start to GEL. We the hammer someone 4 - 0.
What do u do.
Why is ten games some magical judgement number. January for me.
The deadline been the transfer window, Also still enough time to hit the playoffs.

SkyBlue_Bear83

So what if we bob along scrape draws get the odd win. Then on ten games the team start to GEL. We the hammer someone 4 - 0.
What do u do.
Why is ten games some magical judgement number. January for me.
The deadline been the transfer window, Also still enough time to hit the playoffs.
My fear is that we could well be cast a drift by January and not be able to make the ground up if things don't go to plan, if we are in the bottom half after 10 games or a good number of points away from the play offs it may well be time to act

Astute

I say Xmas and top 6 expected. But if things don't improve before then we ask the question.

I have seen enough to say we should do well. A sign of a good team is not playing well but not losing. We are 3 games into the season and undefeated. With a little luck we could have had 3 wins.

So onto the next game. If we win we will move up a fair few places. We have easier games coming than we have played so far. We have seen enough to say we shouldn't fear anyone. A couple of wins and our confidence will be up and teams playing us will be happy with a draw. We will only be happy with a win.

Mucca Mad Boys

In fairness, he said that in 2008, he took over in 2010, 3yrs later, so his opinion may have changed

Furthermore, the syle he wanted to play, possession, Wood didn't suit it and I suppose the success of the Keogh-Cranie partnership meant Wood wasn't going to start, especially when he got that long term injury.

Black6Osprey

In fairness, he said that in 2008, he took over in 2010, 3yrs later, so his opinion may have changed

Furthermore, the syle he wanted to play, possession, Wood didn't suit it and I suppose the success of the Keogh-Cranie partnership meant Wood wasn't going to start, especially when he got that long term injury.

And now he's back in the team because he the greatest or the others are crap?

Grendel

Wood played nearly every game in the "honeymoon" period and people say that was the best football we ever played in the Championship?:thinking about::facepalm:

lordsummerisle

Wood played nearly every game in the "honeymoon" period and people say that was the best football we ever played in the Championship?:thinking about::facepalm:

Nobody could actually say that about any football under Coleman?

Though a few did, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Happens a lot that.

Mucca Mad Boys

And now he's back in the team because he the greatest or the others are crap?

He's in the team because he's the best we've got, in saying that, I would've started him alongside Keogh least season.

If you're on about that run of games we won under Coleman? That was not our "honeymoon" period, we beat teams we were supposed to beat and when people thought we could sneak play-offs, it was never going to happen because I THINK we were around 10 goals behind Blackpool and needed to win every game... Which we didn't and finished the season poorly! :facepalm:

Grendel

He's in the team because he's the best we've got, in saying that, I would've started him alongside Keogh least season.

If you're on about that run of games we won under Coleman? That was not our "honeymoon" period, we beat teams we were supposed to beat and when people thought we could sneak play-offs, it was never going to happen because I THINK we were around 10 goals behind Blackpool and needed to win every game... Which we didn't and finished the season poorly! :facepalm:

No Thorn's first 10 games!

Black6Osprey

Yes, Thorn scouted him and claimed he was the best, played him when he first became manager, then realised his mistake, never really played him again. So either Thorn doesn't know his own mind or the players that have left ie Keogh and Cranie are in Thorns opinion better than Wood and he is now the best of a worse bunch.

lordsummerisle

Yes, Thorn scouted him and claimed he was the best, played him when he first became manager, then realised his mistake, never really played him again. So either Thorn doesn't know his own mind or the players that have left ie Keogh and Cranie are in Thorns opinion better than Wood and he is now the best of a worse bunch.

To be fair, Turner was out injured those first 10 games, so Wood an obvious pairing with Crainie at Centre-back, with Keogh at RB.

Gaz

Or Thorn just thought Keogh and Cranie were the best centre back partnership.

Grendel

Or Thorn just thought Keogh and Cranie were the best centre back partnership.

Cranie did not I believe play in thorns honeymoon period - wood and Keogh at centre half with Clarke and Hussey as full backs?

Gaz

Cranie did not I believe play in thorns honeymoon period - wood and Keogh at centre half with Clarke and Hussey as full backs?

He didn't allways play centre back, but he did play in all of Thorns first 10 games, bar the first two when he was injured.

SkyBlue_Bear83

He only started 2 of those games, the rest he came off the bench 80th minute or so. So once again you are wrong

Clarke Keogh Cranie Hussey

Were clearly Thorns favoured back 4 which was decided after the first 3 or 4 games

Users who are viewing this thread