Thorn: Has Jennings on trial. (1 Viewer)

skyblu3sk

ANDY Thorn is running the rule over former Motherwell and Tranmere Rovers midfielder Steven Jennings.
The 27-year-old Scouser has joined City on trial this week and could be given a run out in Saturday's opening pre-season friendly with Hinckley United.

“Steven has joined us for training for a few days so we can have a look at him,“ said Sky Blues boss Thorn, who is keen to add strength and experience to the middle of the park.

Jennings (pictured), who started out as a schoolboy with Premier League Everton, broke through as a professional with Tranmere for whom he make 140 appearances and scored six goals.

Known for his high work rate and tough tackling, the 5ft 7in tall player has spent the last two seasons at Scottish Premier side Motherwell but was released at the end of last season and is available on a free.

Last term he was at the centre of an investigation into “suspicious betting patterns“ by the Association of British Bookmakers after a red card had been shown to Jennings for dissent during a game between Motherwell and Hearts in 2010.

Although he was arrested, along with eight other men, including Wayne Rooney's father and uncle, on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud in October 2011, Merseyside police said in April that their inquiries had ceased and that no further action would be taken. Jennings has always denied any wrongdoing.

ANDY Thorn is running the rule over former Motherwell and Tranmere Rovers midfielder Steven Jennings.
The 27-year-old Scouser has joined City on trial this week and could be given a run out in Saturday's opening pre-season friendly with Hinckley United.

“Steven has joined us for training for a few days so we can have a look at him,“ said Sky Blues boss Thorn, who is keen to add strength and experience to the middle of the park.

Jennings (pictured), who started out as a schoolboy with Premier League Everton, broke through as a professional with Tranmere for whom he make 140 appearances and scored six goals.

Known for his high work rate and tough tackling, the 5ft 7in tall player has spent the last two seasons at Scottish Premier side Motherwell but was released at the end of last season and is available on a free.

Last term he was at the centre of an investigation into “suspicious betting patterns“ by the Association of British Bookmakers after a red card had been shown to Jennings for dissent during a game between Motherwell and Hearts in 2010.

Although he was arrested, along with eight other men, including Wayne Rooney's father and uncle, on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud in October 2011, Merseyside police said in April that their inquiries had ceased and that no further action would be taken. Jennings has always denied any wrongdoing.

At least he's got some some good contacts - the Rooney family!!!

@richh87

Another short player.

Get ready to concede lots of goals from set pieces again next season! It was a real weakness last year.

torchomatic

Give the lad a chance!

Astute

He wasn't released. He refused to sign a new contract.

Just wait until you see him play before trying to find faults like with his height. He was one of the main players for Motherwell. My son says the most consistant player they had last season. He gives 100% for the full 90 mins. Covers the whole of the pitch. We need players like gim if we are going to do any good this season.

grego_gee

He wasn't released. He refused to sign a new contract.

Just wait until you see him play before trying to find faults like with his height. He was one of the main players for Motherwell. My son says the most consistant player they had last season. He gives 100% for the full 90 mins. Covers the whole of the pitch. We need players like gim if we are going to do any good this season.

Seems to have impressed!....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykZ8_I9yy6w

:pimp:

Sky Blue Sheepy

Another good signing by the looks of it. If we concede from a set piece he can go a wee bit mental on the scorer: problem solved?

The Penguin

Don't care how short he is, so long as he is capable of doing the business in a position where we are desperately lacking bodies.

D

Deleted member 4232

THAT'S IT! I'M NOW OFFICIALLY GETTING CARRIED AWAY!
:D:D:D

/sorry about the caps excitement

woody11462

Sounds like a vert good signing. A tough tackling combative midfielder that gives 100% and was well thought if in the Scottish Prem. Sign him up before someone else does, it's out in the media now!!!

pusbccfc

Love it! Wouldn't mind that blasting out of the away ends next season!

Moff

All the posts about signing him....yet he is on trial.... he hasnt signed yet, so lets at least save our 'he is the messiah' or 'he is crap' comments till he signs first.

smileycov

Facebook User
If he is any good then he will sign, Kilbane did. I doubt he would train with us then go elsewhere to be fair. Not saying he defo will not but IMO unlikely. Maybe Fleck has convinced him!

kingharvest

Hmm, an initial assessment based on a players height? And people wonder why we've learnt nothing as a footballing nation over the past 20 years.

Sky Blues

Swansea had Leon Britton and Joe Allen in League 1. Both are short, but that doesn't make them rubbish does it? Having got out of League 1 and the Championship, they seemed to hold their own in the Premier League last year.
I agree some height is needed in a team (especially at the back) but I wouldn't criticise an individual player for being vertically challenged, particularly if I'd never seen them play.

Everything I've heard he sounds a decent player be just the kind of signing we need imo. Keep Keogh get another striker and we could be set for a good season

Diehard Si

Hmm, an initial assessment based on a players height? And people wonder why we've learnt nothing as a footballing nation over the past 20 years.
We are the club who rejected Kevin Keegan for being too short don't you know!!

My sentiments are that he sounds good, but as we've already got a very small team it will leave us vulnerable. I'm no expert on league 1, but I expect a little more hoof ball played by the other teams. *i could be wrong tho.

kg82

Well, if its hoofball that's going to be played by the opposition then that cuts out the midfield, so its just the defence we should be worried about. At the moment we have Keogh, Cameron and wood who can quite easily deal with that.

skyblueexile

if he's half as good as billy bremner GREAT

1970 - spent 21st at elland road watching us loose now thrashed by the dwarfs of giles and bremner

If he's half as good as either thats fine by me

Nick

Administrator
That Messi fella isn't too tall is he?

(I know Jennings isn't a Messi)

I'd rather wait until I have seen all of the new players play before I can judge, even then it will take a few games.

hill83

It works both ways really. People blowing their beans about Fleck, when let's be honest, we don't know a great deal about him. (Football Manager aside :cool:)
I prefer positivity to negativity though.

kg82

It works both ways really. People blowing their beans about Fleck, when let's be honest, we don't know a great deal about him. (Football Manager aside :cool:)
I prefer positivity to negativity though.

Who's gone over the top about fleck?! It seems now, as a cov fan, stating a player might be able to "do a job" for us is classed as creaming your pants!!

Users who are viewing this thread