This Hot Summer (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

I'm not a summer person I prefer cooler weather, but am getting used to this heatwave now. Getting up and starting work earlier, drinking water more when I'm out and about, and I've enjoyed the odd salad or two. I used to have a garden and an allotment years ago, so with us getting no rain I've turned down some gardening work till the autumn, as the ground's too hard. How are you with the summer,loving it or loathing it ?

Nick

Administrator
giphy.gif

Otis

I'm not a summer person I prefer cooler weather, but am getting used to this heatwave now. Getting up and starting work earlier, drinking water more when I'm out and about, and I've enjoyed the odd salad or two. I used to have a garden and an allotment years ago, so with us getting no rain I've turned down some gardening work till the autumn, as the ground's too hard. How are you with the summer,loving it or loathing it ?
Hmm.

Perfect temperature for me, 21°-22°. Sunny, but with a tiny bit of a breeze.

Not at all keen on these 28's and 30's.

I think it makes people grumpy and irritable and a little bit angry.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Personally I’m loving it. I have dodgy knees and arthritis in some joints from years of doing manual labour and hot dry weather is great for them, all my aches and pains have virtually gone. Stark contrast to cold damp weather when my first decent of the day down the stairs is more of a controlled fall as my knees haven’t warmed up yet.

Covstu

I think it depends on what I am doing. If I am out on the bike, it can get a bit too much so have to get out early to avoid the main afternoon heat. People are generally in a better mood when it’s warm plus that first pint is wonderful in this weather.

My favourite time is early spring around 14-15c, nice and sunny but cool (certainly the Celt in me).

Otis

Personally I’m loving it. I have dodgy knees and arthritis in some joints from years of doing manual labour and hot dry weather is great for them, all my aches and pains have virtually gone. Stark contrast to cold damp weather when my first decent of the day down the stairs is more of a controlled fall as my knees haven’t warmed up yet.
Yeah, I have arthritis too.

Been fine now for a while, but it was a bit overcast the other day and a bit of rain in the air and my knee really started hurting.

Get it in my fingers too, which makes it hard for me to play the keyboards. That obviously very much pleases the missus.

skybluetony176

Yeah, I have arthritis too.

Been fine now for a while, but it was a bit overcast the other day and a bit of rain in the air and my knee really started hurting.

Get it in my fingers too, which makes it hard for me to play the keyboards. That obviously very much pleases the missus.

Mine is my right hand wrist and elbow (insert own pun here) and my right ankle. No problems with any of them for weeks now. My knees are just totally trashed and although still prone to giving way from time to time the regularity of that has greatly reduced. The opposite to that is that they lock up and I have to stretch them out until I hear and feel a crack, that’s pretty much completely disappeared and the constant ache in them isn’t there at the moment.

Otis

Mine is my right hand wrist and elbow (insert own pun here) and my right ankle. No problems with any of them for weeks now. My knees are just totally trashed and although still prone to giving way from time to time the regularity of that has greatly reduced. The opposite to that is that they lock up and I have to stretch them out until I hear and feel a crack, that’s pretty much completely disappeared and the constant ache in them isn’t there at the moment.
With your hand, wrist, elbow, ankle and knee problems it's a good job you don't go up ladders for a living isn't it.

lifeskyblue

Ideally would Prefer it a little cooler than it has been but still enjoying the weather. I have asthma and the recent weather has made my chest a little tight at times.
Love gardening...but everywhere parched. Lawn is almost like straw as I refused to use hose on it. Veg plot doing well (apart from peas). Also just taken on an allotment and have spent last week or so clearing it...hard work in this heat but rewarding. Can’t wait to start digging in the autumn . Best thing about it though is the other people; so far all very friendly, giving advice (yawn), spare tools, even a small greenhouse, and spare plants. Also one guy has shared his beer .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

Ideally would Prefer it a little cooler than it has been but still enjoying the weather. I have asthma and the recent weather has made my chest a little tight at times.
Love gardening...but everywhere parched. Lawn is almost like straw as I refused to use hose on it. Veg plot doing well (apart from peas). Also just taken on an allotment and have spent last week or so clearing it...hard work in this heat but rewarding. Can’t wait to start digging in the autumn . Best thing about it though is the other people; so far all very friendly, giving advice (yawn), spare tools, even a small greenhouse, and spare plants. Also one guy has shared his beer .

When I was with my missus we had 5 kids so money was tight so a customer said there's allotment plots going on Woodway Lane where I lived, so I got one and loved it there. I grew lots of vegetables and was amazed how quick they grew, so saved money by growing my own.Some blokes over there had great little sheds and would spend more time in there and on their plots than they did at home ! Otis should get one he'd love it !

wingy

It's enjoyable but sure does make you sweat doing manual work.
Sleeping is a bit of an issue which is probably why people get a bit tetchy with each other .
Witnessed it picking up the grand children from after school club last week, Proper stroppy and uncharacteristic, probably a bit of dehydration too .
If it were a regular thing I'd invest in a portable air conditioning unit, wish I hadn't given the one I got my mothrr away after she died, due to its size.

skyblueinBaku

We have a rather large garden and it's very difficult to keep the fruit and veg watered. Like yours, our peas are pretty poor this year. So are the onions.

Liquid Gold

Normally love hot weather but my flat just holds the heat in, annoyingly hot in summer and cold and damp in winter, so I'm getting pissed off not being able to sleep.

bringbackrattles

It's enjoyable but sure does make you sweat doing manual work.
Sleeping is a bit of an issue which is probably why people get a bit tetchy with each other .
Witnessed it picking up the grand children from after school club last week, Proper stroppy and uncharacteristic, probably a bit of dehydration too .
If it were a regular thing I'd invest in a portable air conditioning unit, wish I hadn't given the one I got my mothrr away after she died, due to its size.
Going up and down ladders in the heat gets me more hot than normal, and when I stop the sweat drops off me. So I get lots of pop/water instead of tea off the customers, which cools me down. The other day I'd cleaned the windows of a house,cleaned the frames and ledges,and got some gunge out of a gutter, and the lady at the end said" you deserve a drink after doing all that." And handed me a mug of hot coffee, when she went in to get my money I lobbed it away on her lawn. But I hear hot drinks do actually cool you down in hot weather ? Strange.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I love it.....my workshop gets a bit too hot when testing machines (its hit 40c on couple of occasions) but me and the dog just cool off out the back fire exit.
My lawn looks dead....just bald compacted mud.....but with no real rain for months + dog + 2 lads with world cup fever and it never stood a chance......Had a bumper crop of all sorts of berries this summer though so breakfasts have been super food tastic.
Just hoping the heat eases off a bit before we go camping as it's a bit too sticky under canvas like this.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Love it!

And I have found it the exact opposite I think people have been in a lot better mood, less things for us to complain about and a lot more people getting out and about.

Is turning us into a nation of alcoholics though. What it’s Tuesday morning and you fancy a pint? Ah fuck it the suns out.

Ha...yeh. very very difficult to turn down a cold beer but I've also noticed a distinct lack of wasps in beer garden's this summer.....guessing the arctic winter we had killed off more queens than usual. Bonus cos I hate the stingy little bastards

bringbackrattles

I use psychology these days. In the winter working outdoors I say to myself it isn't cold, in the summer I say it isn't hot, and I trick my mind into believing these thoughts. Try it as it works !

Sick Boy

It's been nice to actually have a half decent summer for once. I find around 26-32c is ideal for me, wish it was that way for most of the year.

Off to Sicily later, it's supposed to be upper 30s there tomorrow, can't wait!

Otis

Love it!

And I have found it the exact opposite I think people have been in a lot better mood, less things for us to complain about and a lot more people getting out and about.

Is turning us into a nation of alcoholics though. What it’s Tuesday morning and you fancy a pint? Ah fuck it the suns out.
Weird that, cos I have seen so many aggressive rows between people this hot spell. People seem so touchy.

Fine and smiling if they are just sitting there having a beer or whatever, but the slightest bump or someone 'looking at them the wrong way', but I have seen them snap so quickly. Seen no end of rows between couples or mum's with their children and adults getting aggressive with each other.

Definitely noticed a more agrressive atmosphere since the temperature went up high.

Maybe because of the hot sun people are drinking more alcohol and we all know that makes many people very aggressive.

On the same point, I saw on one of these police TV programmes that 70% of all violent incidents the police are called out to in the evenings are drink related.

wingy

Ha...yeh. very very difficult to turn down a cold beer but I've also noticed a distinct lack of wasps in beer garden's this summer.....guessing the arctic winter we had killed off more queens than usual. Bonus cos I hate the stingy little bastards
Funny that seen more of both bees and Wasps than I have for at least the last five years, which was virtually zero .
To the point it seems I've got a Wasps nest in what's supposed to pass for my back lawn.

lifeskyblue

We have a rather large garden and it's very difficult to keep the fruit and veg watered. Like yours, our peas are pretty poor this year. So are the onions.

Onions have grown ok but recently noticed a lot are beginning to rot...won’t store I think this year. Going to lift them, chop them and freeze them.

skyblueinBaku

Onions have grown ok but recently noticed a lot are beginning to rot...won’t store I think this year. Going to lift them, chop them and freeze them.

It's not white onion rot in your soil is it?

Gazolba

Where I live, the temperature ranges from 40-50 from May to October, sometimes even longer.
My AC is on 24 hours a day during that period, supplemented by ceiling fans and freestanding fans.
If I need to go out, I do it early in the morning or after dark.
I sleep with nothing above me, no sheet and no blanket in as few clothes as possible.
I live in shorts and sandals, and consume about a gallon of water a day.
And oddly enough I like it, and would not swap it for cool, cloudy, English weather.
This week's forecast (104F=40C, 117F=47C):
Weather-July-2018.jpg

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

Where I live, the temperature ranges from 40-50 from May to October, sometimes even longer.
My AC is on 24 hours a day during that period, supplemented by ceiling fans and freestanding fans.
If I need to go out, I do it early in the morning or after dark.
I sleep with nothing above me, no sheet and no blanket in as few clothes as possible.
I live in shorts and sandals, and consume about a gallon of water a day.
And oddly enough I like it, and would not swap it for cool, cloudy, English weather.
This week's forecast (104F=40C, 117F=47C):
View attachment 10224
Where do you live in a furnace ! That sounds oppressive and horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread