THe whole "he has no funds " argument (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Preston north end ...Funds spent £0 ...2nd in league 1
Notts county ....Money spent £0 ...4th in league 1
swindon town 300k spent 3rd in League 1
bristol city ...unsure ...definately spent alot more than others 1st in league 1 .

as 300k would hardly buy you the quality to turn a whole side around , why is it that 3 of the top 4 have spent nothing or next to nothing , yet our supporters feel that pressley has it hard , we are a special case and the league1 equivelant of blackpool .
Nobody starting to realise hes just utterly shit yet

Sutty

The important figure is the wage bill. Amount of money spent on transfers means almost nothing.

I'd guess our wage bill is in the top half of the league though.

Samo

Most of L1 runs on frees and loans, its a non-argument.

J

Jack Griffin

I've hard Waggot himself say the playing budget is pitched at about 10th in the league, so serious under performance if that is true (it also tells you there is zero ambition for promotion).

Gray

Is it because our team is full of youngsters and there teams have more experience?

KersleyDigs

The whole club morale is the biggest problem. The responsibility of which lies at the very top above SP. The instability of the whole club's future is effecting everyone, players, fans, management. Sepalla is the problem

Ashdown

The whole club morale is the biggest problem. The responsibility of which lies at the very top above SP. The instability of the whole club's future is effecting everyone, players, fans, management. Sepalla is the problem

Quite ! Everyone from top to bottom has a ready made excuse for failure !

CCFC PimpRail

That's what happens when you sell your rights to a custom made stadium, and have to pay rent to an evil and non-understanding landlord. All that money going to waste when all that is needed is a spare £25 million for a new ground that you can profit from....

stupot07

The important figure is the wage bill. Amount of money spent on transfers means almost nothing.

I'd guess our wage bill is in the top half of the league though.

Agreed. It's the wage bill not transfer kitty that makes the difference, not to mention the signing on bonus's for free agents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

stupot07

Average first team age is almost 25 , another myth our supporters like to use

True, but over half the first 11 are 22 or under - keepers, Willis/Phillips, Haynes, fleck , Thomas/ finch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Noggin

bristol city ...unsure ...definately spent alot more than others 1st in league 1 .

as 300k would hardly buy you the quality to turn a whole side around , why is it that 3 of the top 4 have spent nothing or next to nothing , yet our supporters feel that pressley has it hard , we are a special case and the league1 equivelant of blackpool .

This is an extremely simplistic and inaccurate argument.

What is Prestons wage bill? how many of their best players left last season and had to be replaced with no funds, have they had to fill their squad with kids and whatever loans they can get? or did they look at a couple of places they were weak and supplement with a couple of strong loans? our squad has had a massive negative investment from last season (and it wasn't even good enough then), it's nuts to say these teams have spent nothing on transfer fees so should be equal to other teams that spent nothing on transfer fees.

We've had to build the vast majority of our squad in one season and with nothing and while at sixfields.

Evo1883

This is an extremely simplistic and inaccurate argument.

What is Prestons wage bill? how many of their best players left last season and had to be replaced with no funds, have they had to fill their squad with kids and whatever loans they can get? or did they look at a couple of places they were weak and supplement with a couple of strong loans? our squad has had a massive negative investment from last season (and it wasn't even good enough then), it's nuts to say these teams have spent nothing on transfer fees so should be equal to other teams that spent nothing on transfer fees.

We've had to build the vast majority of our squad in one season and with nothing and while at sixfields.
Notts county just avoided relegation , so they already had poor players in theory , with them it is that simple

SkyBlue_Bear83

True, but over half the first 11 are 22 or under - keepers, Willis/Phillips, Haynes, fleck , Thomas/ finch

Swindon town only have a handful of players over the age of 23

Noggin

Notts county just avoided relegation , so they already had poor players in theory , with them it is that simple

no it's not that simple with any team, what players did Notts County get rid of? was it their worst players? or their best (like us)? what wages and contract lengths were offered for the new signings, are their loans desperation loans or ones carefully picked to fix the squad, are they having to throw in multiple kids before they are ready? I don't know the answer to these questions but it should be extremely obvious to everyone that investment in a squad is much more complex than just answering how much was spent on players sign on fees.

stupot07

Swindon town only have a handful of players over the age of 23

True, although it remains to be seen whether they have the experience to sustain that form. I was say they are more the exception than the rule, and often experience really counts when the going gets tough.

ccfcway

Average first team age is almost 25 , another myth our supporters like to use

Notts County 11

Allsop - 22
Willis - 20
Webster - 32
Martin - 25
Haynes - 19
O'Brien - 27
Barton - 23
Finch - 18
Fleck - 23
Madine - 24
Nouble - 23

Average age 23, and thats bumped up by Webster !

SkyBlue_Bear83

Notts County 11

Allsop - 22
Willis - 20
Webster - 32
Martin - 25
Haynes - 19
O'Brien - 27
Barton - 23
Finch - 18
Fleck - 23
Madine - 24
Nouble - 23

Contrast that to Swindon who just beat Bristol City with a first 11 average age of less than 22

SkyBlue_Bear83

Of course, but it's far easier to win when you're playing against 10 men for over 90 mins, or are you suggesting that Johnsons early sending off vs Scunthorpe had no bearing in that particular game?

Wade Elliott is 35 and getting sent off in the first 3 minutes of a local derby as well as a top of the table clash. Experience isn't everything and its a piss poor excuse to try and defend this seasons performances.

stupot07

Wade Elliott is 35 and getting sent off in the first 3 minutes of a local derby as well as a top of the table clash. Experience isn't everything and its a piss poor excuse to try and defend this seasons performances.

I never used it as an excuse. Our excuse is the squads poor and so is the manager.

letsallsingtogether

Of course, but it's far easier to win when you're playing against 10 men for over 90 mins, or are you suggesting that Johnsons early sending off vs Scunthorpe had no bearing in that particular game?

I dunno did it?

SkyBlue_Bear83

I never used it as an excuse. Our excuse is the squads poor and so is the manager.

No you didn't explicitly state it tbf but Gray did earlier in the thread and you were sort of agreeing with him or at least made points which backed his claim and countered any argument which went against it.

Senior Vick from Alicante

Maybe they were not forced to sell their best players in the summer?

Evo1883

Notts County 11

Allsop - 22
Willis - 20
Webster - 32
Martin - 25
Haynes - 19
O'Brien - 27
Barton - 23
Finch - 18
Fleck - 23
Madine - 24
Nouble - 23

Sorry i know that , i did actually mean first team squad with reda pugh etc , we dont have as young a team as people make out , either way they are no longer academy , they are proffesionals , if they are deemed good enough then whats the issue

Evo1883

Maybe they were not forced to sell their best players in the summer?
Forced ..or just had no choice , be honest what chance did we have of stopping players going to teams in higher divisions on more money , peterborough lost 13 million pounds worth of talent in the summer , how much was reinvested

Users who are viewing this thread