The Very Curious Case of Julian Assange (1 Viewer)

Grendel

It is a rather strange world we occupy I think when people are of shall we say a liberal persuasion on here but no one mentions the human rights violations of Julian Assange

Let’s quantify this. I have no like for this man who was very happy to Chuck informants under a bus and make financial gain and the Swedish assault allegations remain unanswered

However it is now very clear that there is a stench around Assange. He was subjected to a dubious trial regarding a breach of bail and sentenced to average high tariff and then to a maximum security prison - Belmarsh. He has served the sentence twice over but remains in Belmarsh

The left press remain silent as do the opposition. They remain it seems silent on the topic as they remain allied to this odd injustice

Colin Pitchfork roams the streets but Assange remains incarcerated- I think I’d rather Mr Assange as a neighbour than Mr Pitchfork

How odd no opposition MP seems to be very vocal on this least of all Mr Starmer

Sky Blue Pete

It is a rather strange world we occupy I think when people are of shall we say a liberal persuasion on here but no one mentions the human rights violations of Julian Assange

Let’s quantify this. I have no like for this man who was very happy to Chuck informants under a bus and make financial gain and the Swedish assault allegations remain unanswered

However it is now very clear that there is a stench around Assange. He was subjected to a dubious trial regarding a breach of bail and sentenced to average high tariff and then to a maximum security prison - Belmarsh. He has served the sentence twice over but remains in Belmarsh

The left press remain silent as do the opposition. They remain it seems silent on the topic as they remain allied to this odd injustice

Colin Pitchfork roams the streets but Assange remains incarcerated- I think I’d rather Mr Assange as a neighbour than Mr Pitchfork

I don’t know enough about him

clint van damme

he enabled Trump and put a spanner in the works of Hilarys campaign with the Podesta emails, (I'm not sure where he stands on that legally), but I don't know why you think Starmer would defend him?
Those that speak up for him on the left are much further left than Starmer.

Like Pete I don't know loads about it but he strikes me as a wrong 'un!

SBT

Bit weird that it’s the opposition who have to take the stick for it, rather than the government that’s cheered on every step of his prosecution, but here you go anyway!

Grendel

Bit weird that it’s the opposition who have to take the stick for it, rather than the government that’s cheered on every step of his prosecution, but here you go anyway!

well of course Mr Corbyn sides with the government on Afghanistan and last I heard he was not in the opposition

SBT

well of course Mr Corbyn sides with the government on Afghanistan and last I heard he was not in the opposition

There are plenty of Labour MPs who are actively campaigning for Assange’s release, but anyway - the bizarre nature of Assange’s political dealings means it’s hardly surprising that support for him doesn’t really track easily with conventional party political allegiances. It’s hardly a priority in the minds of British voters at the moment so I’m not sure there’s a great rush for any party to crystallise a unified position on it.

All that being said, Boris Johnson’s position on it has been made very clear from the start, and he’s the only one with the power to do anything about it. If you do think there’s been an injustice against Mr Assange, presumably you’ll urge him to come out and do the right thing ASAP?

Grendel

There are plenty of Labour MPs who are actively campaigning for Assange’s release, but anyway - the bizarre nature of Assange’s political dealings means it’s hardly surprising that support for him doesn’t really track easily with conventional party political allegiances. It’s hardly a priority in the minds of British voters at the moment so I’m not sure there’s a great rush for any party to crystallise a unified position on it.

All that being said, Boris Johnson’s position on it has been made very clear from the start, and he’s the only one with the power to do anything about it. If you do think there’s been an injustice against Mr Assange, presumably you’ll urge him to come out and do the right thing ASAP?

mmmm what is mr Starmer position? Also I’m not entirely sure Mr Johnson can really do too much - I do find it odd given the so called accusations the country is like a dictatorship that an illegal incarceration gets little press - Mr Davis does seem to not like it. In reality he received little support from either side of the house

Grendel

Whats that got to do with Football ...go away to some other political site

It’s not on a football related side of the forum

SBT

mmmm what is mr Starmer position? Also I’m not entirely sure Mr Johnson can really do too much - I do find it odd given the so called accusations the country is like a dictatorship that an illegal incarceration gets little press - Mr Davis does seem to not like it. In reality he received little support from either side of the house

Poor powerless Boris. If only he wielded any kind of power or influence.

What is Starmer’s position? I don’t know. Do you think him taking a firm position on this one way or another would electrify his base?

skybluetony176

Who says it’s illegal?

Ian1779

Mr Starmer won’t have a position on it unless he’s told to by his people.

Grendel

skybluetony176

might not be technically illegal, but it’s beyond unethical
I think the law is pretty clear isn’t it? Wether you agree with it or not the US has the right to appeal, previous behaviour shows Assange to be a flight risk so he stays incarcerated until the appeal process is done.

Grendel

I wonder what Starmer’s people would tell him to say about another Leveson style inquiry.

The point I am really getting at here is that in his rather long speech regarding Afghanistan he bought up his role in the CPS and how his team went there and he passionately defends human rights. Mr Starmer of course has form not only here but Garry McKinnon who along with the minister at the time tried to get him deported to the States for trial as he said there was not enough evidence to convict here

Starmer seems to now be somewhat against US policy but when head of CPS seemed very keen siding with extradition policy

clint van damme

The point I am really getting at here is that in his rather long speech regarding Afghanistan he bought up his role in the CPS and how his team went there and he passionately defends human rights. Mr Starmer of course has form not only here but Garry McKinnon who along with the minister at the time tried to get him deported to the States for trial as he said there was not enough evidence to convict here

Starmer seems to now be somewhat against US policy but when head of CPS seemed very keen siding with extradition policy

so he's a hypocrite? Hardly a massive revelation.
Wait until you hear about the PMs flip flopping on Europe!

Grendel

Why does it fall under the remit of the opposition to campaign for his release and not just the fault of the government for not simply releasing him?

i thought you wanted an opposition in higher regard? Mr Starmer and Alan Johnson would have had the unfortunate Mr McKinnon in some god forsaken US prison - thankfully the government were booted out and May stood up to the US

Grendel

skybluetony176

so he's a hypocrite? Hardly a massive revelation.
Wait until you hear about the PMs flip flopping on Europe!

Last edited:

clint van damme

i thought you wanted an opposition in higher regard? Mr Starmer and Alan Johnson would have had the unfortunate Mr McKinnon in some god forsaken US prison - thankfully the government were booted out and May stood up to the US

But Johnson has hardly stood upto the US.
He thinks Assange should face trial in the US, in which case why not insist on that bitch of a diplomats wife coming here to face charges as part of the deal?

Grendel

But Johnson has hardly stood upto the US.
He thinks Assange should face trial in the US, in which case why not insist on that bitch of a diplomats wife coming here to face charges as part of the deal?

I don’t see why you bring back to the government and avoid similar and in many ways more damning evidence regarding the Labour leader - raised mostly by Labour supporters?

Why? Starmer said he’d have stood up to the US in the Afghan crises? Do you believe him?

clint van damme

I don’t see why you bring back to the government and avoid similar and in many ways more damning evidence regarding the Labour leader - raised mostly by Labour supporters?

Why? Starmer said he’d have stood up to the US in the Afghan crises? Do you believe him?

You think Idl defend Starmer, Jesus!
But like Corbyn before him, he'll never be in office so their antics are irrelevant compared to those of the sitting government.
As far as I'm concerned Starmer, like Johnson, doesn't stand for anything, and that's the problem.

skybluetony176

Can’t Assange rely on his other mates anyway. Like this guy
This guy was pretty keen to do him a favour also

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So you say the PRIME MINISTER can't do much but you think the position of the leader of the (weak) opposition is important?

Users who are viewing this thread