The official NFL Thread (7 Viewers)

tisza

Kap reaches a settlement. I wonder if that opens it up for him to start playing again.
Going to look very suspicious if he gets a job now. Political handgrenade for NFL. Was never going to prove collusion anyway..
Same problem as other QBs - not a lot of vacancies on the money he was asking for before.

tisza

Foles firing and Fournette back on form should turn them round.
Going to be interesting the QB market.
About 4-5 teams need starters. QB draft still not great.
Quite a few decent options available for short term deals - Taylor, Keenum, etc.
Still think some teams will have an eye on next year's draft which could be loaded with good QBs. Sure Haskins has entered early because next year he wouldn't be in top 5 QBs available.
Teams getting desperate for drafting QBs as salary cap is starting to bite. Other positions value soaring and a cheap QB for 4 years helps balance the books.

Liquid Gold

Going to be interesting the QB market.
About 4-5 teams need starters. QB draft still not great.
Quite a few decent options available for short term deals - Taylor, Keenum, etc.
Still think some teams will have an eye on next year's draft which could be loaded with good QBs. Sure Haskins has entered early because next year he wouldn't be in top 5 QBs available.
Teams getting desperate for drafting QBs as salary cap is starting to bite. Other positions value soaring and a cheap QB for 4 years helps balance the books.
I’ve got a feeling the redskins are planning on tanking next season with an eye on picking up a QB in the next draft.

tisza

I’ve got a feeling the redskins are planning on tanking next season with an eye on picking up a QB in the next draft.
Interesting scenario. Unless a team trades up in the draft Murray could still be available to Redskins.
Still have to factor in Smith return for next season and cap issues.
So draft Murray and worry about next season later or it's a one year contract for a vet (Taylor, Bridgewater 2 good options) and deal with some of the weaknesses particularly on defence.

Liquid Gold

Interesting scenario. Unless a team trades up in the draft Murray could still be available to Redskins.
Still have to factor in Smith return for next season and cap issues.
So draft Murray and worry about next season later or it's a one year contract for a vet (Taylor, Bridgewater 2 good options) and deal with some of the weaknesses particularly on defence.
Every mock draft I've seen has us picking up a QB in the first but they seem to have Haskins, Lock and Murray going to the Giants, Jags or Dolphins. The last CBS mock published overnight had us trading up to fifth to take Lock though.

If next years class is so much better though I could see us trading down now, picking up receivers, safeties and corners this year ready to go for the QB next.

tisza

Every mock draft I've seen has us picking up a QB in the first but they seem to have Haskins, Lock and Murray going to the Giants, Jags or Dolphins. The last CBS mock published overnight had us trading up to fifth to take Lock though.

If next years class is so much better though I could see us trading down now, picking up receivers, safeties and corners this year ready to go for the QB next.
Don't see Jags taking a QB. They really are in a win-now situation. be very surprised now Foles hasn't been tagged if he doesn't end up there.
Lock is another project - recent history of Mizzou QBs not encouraging either (Gabbert, Smith & Daniel).

Liquid Gold

Don't see Jags taking a QB. They really are in a win-now situation. be very surprised now Foles hasn't been tagged if he doesn't end up there.
Lock is another project - recent history of Mizzou QBs not encouraging either (Gabbert, Smith & Daniel).
To be honest I don't have enough knowledge of college football to evaluate the prospects accordingly. I'd also be very surprised to see Foles anywhere but the Jags. Bortles being cut would save them $18m with only $5m dead money for a year which would leave them $28m in cap space. More than enough for Foles and another play maker to try and bring back the AFC championship form the had last year.

I'm more likely to pick up tickets for Jags Texans in London next year if they have him too as none of the match ups really stand out.

tisza

See Redskins are in final 3 for Antonio brown. Surprised they've got the cap space.
Problem is Raiders have more draft picks to offer.

Liquid Gold

See Redskins are in final 3 for Antonio brown. Surprised they've got the cap space.
Problem is Raiders have more draft picks to offer.
I don't see the point in that, we're not going to be challenging for a couple years so I'd rather build a team looking at 3 years time. What the fuck is Colt McCoy throwing to AB going to like?

CCFC88

Pretty sure he'll go to Oakland, that seems to make more sense on a long term deal, Gruden brothers fighting it out for his services.

Strong rumours linking the Redskins with Josh Rosen, available if the new Cards HC follows through with his previous statements on Murray, cheap with league experience. We will be a side reliant heavily on the run game wih Guice, Thompson & (likely) AP. Would be happy to give Rosen a year here, can't be discounted after one season with a very poor Cardinals side.

tisza

Pretty sure he'll go to Oakland, that seems to make more sense on a long term deal, Gruden brothers fighting it out for his services.

Strong rumours linking the Redskins with Josh Rosen, available if the new Cards HC follows through with his previous statements on Murray, cheap with league experience. We will be a side reliant heavily on the run game wih Guice, Thompson & (likely) AP. Would be happy to give Rosen a year here, can't be discounted after one season with a very poor Cardinals side.
Not the worst QB. Suffered from terrible protection and offensive weapons.
Can see the attraction of a cheap QB (think its under 6m for next 3 years) but what price do the Cards want? They already gave up picks to trade up to draft him. If they can get him without giving up this year's or next year's 1st round pick then it maybe a decent deal

Liquid Gold

I've heard the Cards want a 1st round pick for him which I wouldn't want to do. If that was the case I'd rather bring in Bridgewater for a year and draft next year.

CCFC88

Reports saying they are only getting offered 3rd and 4ths, Id be happy if we got him for a 3rd, and probably accept giving up a second for him.

He was number 10 pick overall last year and played under a HC that probably wont HC again and a OC who probably wont call plays again. This would be my preferred option, pick up one of the top 2 WR in the first round, a DB in he 2nd and give up the 3rd for Rosen.

Liquid Gold

Reports saying they are only getting offered 3rd and 4ths, Id be happy if we got him for a 3rd, and probably accept giving up a second for him.

He was number 10 pick overall last year and played under a HC that probably wont HC again and a OC who probably wont call plays again. This would be my preferred option, pick up one of the top 2 WR in the first round, a DB in he 2nd and give up the 3rd for Rosen.
I'd definitely give up a 3rd for him, I think that would be a bit of a coup actually. They seem to have their heart set on Murray and Rosen then becomes surplus. He was highly rated last year and we’d pick up a QB with something to prove, hopefully after making his early mistakes last season with 4 years on a team friendly deal.

tisza

Cards aren't in a strong position to trade unless they decide to keep 2 cheap QBs as both on rookie contracts.
Rosen could still be a steal with a 2nd. 3rd and Gruden should be driving to Arizona to pick him up.
Guy's got talent.
Cards had an average coach, limited offensive weapons and biggest problem was a terrible offensive coach.
Cards were built for a running offensive. Limited WRs and poor blocking O line that suffered injuries as well.
Cards didn't stink because of rosen.
Rosen ended up throwing picks when they were chasing lost causes.
Rosen was the best passer in last year's draft. Maybe not the all-round QB like Mayfield but in a quick passing offense could prosper. has the potential to be a franchise QB in the right set-up but does need protection to pass.

CCFC88

And there we have it, Case Keenum, hardly inspiring and very much a middle of the road pick up here, not sure where the front office are taking it with this one.

Funnily enough if we’d taken him this time last year I’d be happier, he had a relatively good season with the Vikings, didn’t see much to inspire confidence at the broncos though.

Liquid Gold

And there we have it, Case Keenum, hardly inspiring and very much a middle of the road pick up here, not sure where the front office are taking it with this one.

Funnily enough if we’d taken him this time last year I’d be happier, he had a relatively good season with the Vikings, didn’t see much to inspire confidence at the broncos though.
I'm delighted with that to be honest. Only aa 6th rounder given with a 7th in return. wasn't excellent last year but played against mainly winning teams without any tight ends and his main target traded and their OC and HC were sacked. He's on a fairly hefty contract though, I don't know what that's going to do to the cap. Hopefully we can move up for Metcalfe and give him a target.

A fit offence with Keenum, AP, Guice, Thompson, Reed, Richardson and another wideout would be decent. It's Gruden's last chance this season so I feel we'll open up a bit and either it'll work and we're happy or it doesn't and we can move on to a new coach with a good pick in a QB heavy draft year after.

Edit:apparently only $3.5m salary

Last edited:

tisza

You know I love Keenum from his time with us. Would have kept him and used the cousins money on protection for him.
Not an aggressive passer but can move an offense.
Great escaping pressure.
Made Thielen into what he's become.
Don't forget Broncos o line was poor and had injuries. Certainly better than the backups you had last year.
Buys you a season to see what's happening with Smith for a 6th rounder.

CCFC88

Sounds like we've not fully given up on Rosen either, Keenum wanted to go to Arizona apparently so there's a scenario where we trade Keenum for Rosen and they use him as their back up, if that doesn't happen then we still have an upgrade on McCoy. Lots of movement still to happen in the next couple of months.

We could have Rosen Keenum Smith and McCoy and still be spending less than we were paying Cousins in his franchise tag years.

tisza

Yep. Free agency opens next week, then there will be the usual horse trading of players for draft picks.
It doesn't necessarily seem QB wages are hurting teams most. Biggest jumps are for DES, LBs and elite linemen.
Teams also trending to releasing mid-high earners across the board to pick up compensatory picks. Gap between rookie contracts and "2nd" contracts widening.

tisza

Brown to raiders for a 3rd and a 5th rounder.
Not a surprise Raiders have so much draft capital. Can easily recoup it if they want to by trading one of their 3 1st round picks.

Liquid Gold

Brown to raiders for a 3rd and a 5th rounder.
Not a surprise Raiders have so much draft capital. Can easily recoup it if they want to by trading one of their 3 1st round picks.
What are the Vikings looking at this offseason? I assume some reinforcement on the O Line and more of a running threat?

tisza

O line. 1st rounder will be one of the several top quality ones available. Not a lot available in free agency. Probably a tackle or two in later rounds.
Then we'll be after A DT. Richardson going to get a big free agency contract somewhere. Again a deep area in this year's draft.
Running back down to whether Murray gets picked up but a better line should see Cook back to rookie form.
Going to be some serious reworking of contracts to sort out cap space. A trend across many teams. See Chiefs have released Houston and trying to trade Ford. Some big names going to be released in next few weeks for cap space.
Think Barr will go. Can't afford him. Plus maybe Griffin.

Liquid Gold

The way salaries for a few skill positions are shooting up I can see a lot more players only playing for their rookie deals in coming years and teams rotating most positions over a few years.

tisza

The way salaries for a few skill positions are shooting up I can see a lot more players only playing for their rookie deals in coming years and teams rotating most positions over a few years.
Exactly what's happening. Nearly every draftee will get signed - didn't use to be the case.
No coincidence that undrafted free agents make up the 3rd largest group of players (after 1st and 2nd rounders).
Top players in each position now on for 8 figure salaries.
We'll lose Barr because he's now worth around 15m a year.
See debate even around the Redskins top defenders being traded/let go to create cap space for the annual free agency rush.
Teams releasing players and paying them big money just to save on the rest of their contracts.
All the QB deals are pushing other players out of the game.

tisza

Landon Collins on a big deal. Noise about skins going aggressive this offseason looks to be correct.
Like we said big money going to all positions. Lions handing out big contracts as well.
Like Collins but injuries would be a concern not just last year's.
See Foles confirmed to Jags.
Brown to raiders 15m a year for a left tackle.

Last edited:

tisza

Barr to Jets. About 13m a year. Would have cost us 16m a year. Wilson an undrafted free agent will step up. Looked good last year. Current contract 650k per year.
Raiders continue to load up. Joyner from the Rams latest.

Users who are viewing this thread