The official NFL Thread (2 Viewers)

tisza

1st overall pick anyone?

I'm going for Darnold
Mayfield. Ranked 4th QB by consensus. Slight surprise they didn't go more cautious considering recent draft mistakes. But if it comes off combined with their free agency moves this could be some offence.

tisza

Vikings take Hughes.
Love it. Top 30 experts pre-draft only 2 had us taking a corner back - neither of which was Hughes. Post draft seems he is a good choice / great prospect etc.
Zimmer must see some value in lower round O line picks.

Liquid Gold

Hopefully we won't be so weak against the run now.

I'm happy with an offence containing Smith, Crowder, Reed, Richardson, Doctson, Davis and Thompson. If we can keep all of them fit then we will take some stopping (maybe even a cheeky dez bid).

I hope we go for a CB or a Guard in the second round. CB because I'm not sure about Scandrick and Guard to give our run some help.

Otis

The Redskins have just picked up Adrian Peterson. Now 33, but Washington have had some key injuries.

Be interesting to see how he fares.

ajsccfc

Proper decimation in Seattle. Since last season there's no Sherman, Kam, Bennett, Avril, Jimmy Graham, Thomas Rawls, and Earl Thomas is still holding out but Jon Ryan the punter was one that got me, he's always been a favourite of mine. Thankfully Doug Baldwin's still around, he's always been my man.

Liquid Gold

Proper decimation in Seattle. Since last season there's no Sherman, Kam, Bennett, Avril, Jimmy Graham, Thomas Rawls, and Earl Thomas is still holding out but Jon Ryan the punter was one that got me, he's always been a favourite of mine. Thankfully Doug Baldwin's still around, he's always been my man.
This is a real see how good Wilson is year. He did it with that monster defence but can he do it on his own.

ajsccfc

He's probably the one area I've got little concern about, he's like some kind of football bot experiment. I've got quiet hopes of going .500 this season still, but not much more than that.

Liquid Gold

Rams and 49ers look good but I think you’ll finish above cardinals. Although David Johnston being back with improve them I don’t think they’ll get it right at QB for a while.

tisza

Rams and 49ers look good but I think you’ll finish above cardinals. Although David Johnston being back with improve them I don’t think they’ll get it right at QB for a while.
Rams going to be interesting this year. Recruited well and got a good coach with some strong performances last year.

Liquid Gold

Green Bay are looking stronger by the week. A fit Rogers connecting with Jimmy Graham, rookie CBs looking good under Pettine and strong RBs entering their second year.
Haven’t they lost their WR1 though and possibly a starting right end. Rogers will win games on his own but will need more weapons to be a championship team. Their games against the Vikings are going to be must watch this year.

Otis

Here are the NFL predictions from NFL.com.

AFC East champs
UNANIMOUS PICK: New England Patriots 21 votes

Why Judy Battista chose the Patriots: Yes, Julian Edelman is suspended and Danny Amendola is gone and Tom Brady is 41 and blahblahblah. While there was an unusual amount of drama this offseason, the Patriots inevitably find a way around annual obstacles. And while New England's hold on the AFC might not have the iron grip of years past, the Patriots will eke out one more Super Bowl run.

AFC North champs

1. Pittsburgh Steelers 14 votes
2. Baltimore Ravens 6 votes
3. Cleveland Browns 1 vote

Why Adam Schein chose the Steelers: This could be the final run with the Killer Bs all together. Ben Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown will power the Steelers to a top-two offense in the NFL and Pittsburgh will win the division by multiple games.

AFC South champs

1. Jacksonville Jaguars 13 votes
2. Houston Texans 7 votes
3. Tennessee Titans 1 vote

Why Steve Mariucci chose the Jaguars: Any time a team has a top defense, it's often considered at least a playoff team -- and sometimes even a title contender. I don't see the Jags being any worse of a team talent-wise than they were at the end of last season.

AFC West champs

1. Los Angeles Chargers 16 votes
2. Oakland Raiders 3 votes
T-3. Denver Broncos 1 vote
T-3. Kansas City Chiefs 1 vote

Why Gregg Rosenthal chose the Chargers: The rosters in the rest of the AFC West are in various states of transition, while the Chargers are loaded at nearly every position group. There's nothing standing in the way of this team and a playoff bye, except perhaps a lack of home-field advantage.

NFC East champs

1. Philadelphia Eagles 19 votes
2. New York Giants 2 votes

Why Gregg Rosenthal chose the Eagles: Philadelphia has the depth and line play on both sides of the ball to survive what figures to be a slow start to the season as many players recover from injury. And if the Eagles fall flat, their fans are sure to handle it with quiet grace.

NFC North champs

1. Minnesota Vikings 12 votes
2. Green Bay Packers 9 votes

Why Brian Baldinger chose the Vikings: Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer have built a team that is poised to thrive for years to come. The NFC North is a tough division, but I like my chances with Minnesota.

NFC South champs

1. New Orleans Saints 13 votes
2. Atlanta Falcons 8 votes

Why LaDainian Tomlinson chose the Saints: With Drew Brees' clock winding down, the Saints aren't taking anything for granted. Their offense can beat you through the air or on the ground, and the defense has improved. It's hard to best a team like that.

NFC West champs

UNANIMOUS PICK: Los Angeles Rams 21 votes

Why Michael Robinson chose the Rams: On paper, L.A. might have the best team in the league.

Liquid Gold

When was the last time a team won the NFC East two seasons in a row, safe bet for them to go for the SB winners, especially with Wentz and Foles both injured.

Otis

When was the last time a team won the NFC East two seasons in a row, safe bet for them to go for the SB winners, especially with Wentz and Foles both injured.
Wenz could be back couldn't he? They are hinting that he may start Week 1 from the off.

Liquid Gold

Wenz could be back couldn't he? They are hinting that he may start Week 1 from the off.
If he did that's a big risk as they could be pushing him back too soon and make things worse. Teams will always play harder against the champs too. I think the division is really tough to call and just think the pundits there are taking an easy option

Otis

Yep, could be. Why no votes for Dallas? i know the Giants have Beckham back, but would have thought Dallas would be challenging. With the Skins injuries I think this may be a season of transition for us.

Liquid Gold

I'm not too optimistic about the Skins but I've heard a few people tout them as dark horses.
Dallas have no OL at the moment
New York have a great team but a rubbish QB
Last year people kept expecting Philly to fail, there will be nothing like that this year and they have a lot of injury problems.

Moff

Yep, could be. Why no votes for Dallas? i know the Giants have Beckham back, but would have thought Dallas would be challenging. With the Skins injuries I think this may be a season of transition for us.

I cant see past the Eagles in the NFC East, although I was surprised that Dallas didn't get any votes. I always enjoy seeing how the East pans out, and personally have a soft spot for the Eagles as the perennial underachievers so was glad to see them finally get the SB win last season.

Looks like a cracking season in store, and personally am looking forward to seeing a Rodgers driven Green Bay battling with the Vikings for the NFC North.

CCFC88

There has not been a repeat winner in the East since Philly did it in the McNabb Era. Don't think there is much between Ny and Dallas, with Barkley, Zeke and Ajayi in the division it could come down to who can stop the run in those divisional games.

The Redskins probably have enough to stop the run but not sure we have enough on the other side of the ball.

If we can get off to a 2-2 start I'd be more than happy, then Cam comes to town again who usually has his way in DC. Don't like the look of our run in against 3 teams who will expect to be in the post season.

Divisional games will be crucial, if we can go 4-2 vs division we will be in with a shout but that is a huge ask.

Liquid Gold

There has not been a repeat winner in the East since Philly did it in the McNabb Era. Don't think there is much between Ny and Dallas, with Barkley, Zeke and Ajayi in the division it could come down to who can stop the run in those divisional games.

The Redskins probably have enough to stop the run but not sure we have enough on the other side of the ball.

If we can get off to a 2-2 start I'd be more than happy, then Cam comes to town again who usually has his way in DC. Don't like the look of our run in against 3 teams who will expect to be in the post season.

Divisional games will be crucial, if we can go 4-2 vs division we will be in with a shout but that is a huge ask.
I think you're right and that's what the back office would have been thinking in drafting Payne to put alongside a fit again Allen. Such a shame Guice got injured as I really think he could have pushed those three, hopefully Peterson isn't over the hill and have a storming season to prove the doubters wrong.

CCFC88

I think you're right and that's what the back office would have been thinking in drafting Payne to put alongside a fit again Allen. Such a shame Guice got injured as I really think he could have pushed those three, hopefully Peterson isn't over the hill and have a storming season to prove the doubters wrong.
Keeping the OLine healthy will be imperative, need to be getting 12+ games out of Trent Schreff and Moses, Alex Smith is very experienced and with time behind a strong OL should be able to move the ball.

I Expect big things from Chris Thompson this year, Smith got the best out of Kareem Hunt in Kansas last year, I see him using CT in a similar way

Otis

Keeping the OLine healthy will be imperative, need to be getting 12+ games out of Trent Schreff and Moses, Alex Smith is very experienced and with time behind a strong OL should be able to move the ball.

I Expect big things from Chris Thompson this year, Smith got the best out of Kareem Hunt in Kansas last year, I see him using CT in a similar way
Be interesting to see how Jordan Reed fares and Doctson too

Liquid Gold

I'm desperate for Reed to stay fit. Crowder and Thompson look like ideal Smith targets. I've heard a lot of good things about Richardson and it's a big year for Doctson who has to prove himself in year 3.

Users who are viewing this thread