The Next Southampton (1 Viewer)

CovisGod

Obviously, I know it's early days, far too early to even be making this thread, but for a long time I've thought what we need is to do a Southampton, go down the divisions and then start again from scratch, get a decent manager who can bring in young hungry players that can have a winning mentality drummed into them, I've said this time and again to my non-Cov supporting mates as I can see it as being the only way we'll ever get promoted as were never going to be the sort of club that spends big money,

in in recent days and weeks, starting with Mowbray commiting really ive got such a sense of positivity, one I've not felt for a long long time as a Cov fan. Obviously there will be ups and downs and we'll have good and bad days but I'm really starting to feel that Mowbray could be putting something really special together here.

Ill get shot down by the vast majority for this thread but for as long as it lasts I'm really getting that excitement back for match days, I'm buzzing for the next few games and loving life as one of the Sky Blue Army

PUSB

Grendel

We've won one game...

We also don't have a billionaire backer or 25,000 fans prepared to stick with the team in league one

CovisGod

We've won one game...

Youve obviously not read my post, it's not about the "one game" it's about the fact we seem to have turned a corner, we've got the best manager we've had since being in the Prem and the team he's building is one that fills me with positivity,

just me ? Ok, go about your business folks.....

SlowerThanPlatt

Admire your optimism mate but I won't be getting excited until we're in the top 3/6 after 15 games. Early days yet we always start of well and then fade back into mid table

stupot07

Youve obviously not read my post, it's not about the "one game" it's about the fact we seem to have turned a corner, we've got the best manager we've had since being in the Prem and the team he's building is one that fills me with positivity,

just me ? Ok, go about your business folks.....

Southampton's wage bill that one season in the championship was £29m (which I believe was second or third highest in the league), they bought their way so other than having a decent manager the similarities end there. To put that into perspective the same season our entire turnover was £10.8m.

Nothing wrong with optimism but predicting back to back promotions in our current financial position is beyond optimism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Greggs

We sell our young talent for peanuts compared to the big money Southampton get for theirs!

Astute

Can't you remember that we won't do any good because of the lack of pie money.

stupot07

We've won one game...

I know, we've seemed to have had a lot of championship related threads this week, and as you've said. We played (and won) 1 game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

stupot07

Don't be silly, we don't need pie money, or car park, or 365 day revenues, or stand sponsorship, or stadium naming rights, or to rent our ground out to other teams, or sell banqueting/meeting room/weddings. The other clubs have all got the wrong end of the stick, they are wasting their time on all of that unnecessary commercial activity. Wasps will give us as nice cheap rent deal as they need us and we will be a financial heavy weight in the championship.

Last edited:

Samo

We also don't have a billionaire backer or 25,000 fans prepared to stick with the team in league one

Was that their average L1 gate?

Astute

Don't be silly, we don't need pie money, or car park, or 365 day revenues, or stand sponsorship, or stadium naming rights, or to rent our ground out to other teams, or sell banqueting/meeting room/weddings. The other clubs have all got the wrong end of the stick, they are wasting their time on all of that unnecessary commercial activity. Wasps will give us as nice cheap rent deal as they need us and we will be a financial heavy weight in the championship.

Sorry. I forgot that we are the only club that rents their ground.

Grendel

As far as I'm aware we are the only one that does which has restriction on revenues.

Name one other

Grendel

I wish you could see how stupid you come across with comments like that.

stupot07

Nothing wrong with renting as long as you get access the revenues. How many clubs who rent, don't rent the stadium 365 days per week and don't earn all/most the additional revenues from that stadium?

Grendel

Stockport Country had a similar arrangement to us for a few years, they dropped from L1 to Conference North.

Astute knows his onions. He will come back with many more - won't you Astute?

Astute

Nothing wrong with renting as long as you get access the revenues. How many clubs who rent, don't rent the stadium 365 days per week and don't earn all/most the additional revenues from that stadium?

How many rent a stadium as good as ours for just 100k?

We don't have to pay for the upkeep of it. How much do other clubs have to pay?

Grendel

How many rent a stadium as good as ours for just 100k?

We don't have to pay for the upkeep of it. How much do other clubs have to pay?

What does "as good as ours" mean?

CovisGod

Nowhere have I said I expect back to back promotions, I merely feel that with a decent young team with a good work ethic we may see more success than in recent years, I would be delighted with a top half finish this season. The Southampton comment was the fact they dropped to divisions (like us), got rid of a lot of dead wood (like us), had a decent manager (like us) and had a prodominantley young and hungry squad (which I believe we're building)

Grendel

Nowhere have I said I expect back to back promotions, I merely feel that with a decent young team with a good work ethic we may see more success than in recent years, I would be delighted with a top half finish this season. The Southampton comment was the fact they dropped to divisions (like us), got rid of a lot of dead wood (like us), had a decent manager (like us) and had a prodominantley young and hungry squad (which I believe we're building)

In league one they signed several big players notably Lambert for over £1 million.

Grendel

So could have we if we had some of the Wilson money to spend.

Sadly they had 365 day revenues - not 23 so didn't have to use the proceeds to fund the club. It's s nonsense to suggest we could have risked that expenditure even if we were at the Ricoh.

The Reverend Skyblue

i love your optimism Covisgod. I just want a playoff push after so many unsuccessful supporting years

Astute

Sadly they had 365 day revenues - not 23 so didn't have to use the proceeds to fund the club. It's s nonsense to suggest we could have risked that expenditure even if we were at the Ricoh.

So how much are ACL making then?

H

Huckerby

Why are you wasting your time on this guy?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Skyblueweeman

I wish people would stop making comparisons with Southampton (no offence to the O.P.). Historically, the clubs are similar in size and success but in recent years, they were bought by a billionaire who pumped loads of money on and have also sold some of their stars for close to £10m or more. We've sold our best players for no more than £3m (and he was the only one near that value) and were bought by a hedge fund who don't pump millions into marque transfer signings.

We are not going to do a Southampton the same route they did. If we do have a sniff of going up, TM deserves the freedom of the city for working miracles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccfc92

I wish people would stop making comparisons with Southampton (no offence to the O.P.). Historically, the clubs are similar in size and success but in recent years, they were bought by a billionaire who pumped loads of money on and have also sold some of their stars for close to £10m or more. We've sold our best players for no more than £3m (and he was the only one near that value) and were bought by a hedge fund who don't pump millions into marque transfer signings.

We are not going to do a Southampton the same route they did. If we do have a sniff of going up, TM deserves the freedom of the city for working miracles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on WM.

Also, didn't S'oton turn down SISU IIRC? :whistle:

capel & collindridge

I agree there are no real financial comparisons to be made, but we are beginning to get a team together that look as if they might be capable of playing great football like Southampton, Swansea and Norwich did when they were down in League 1.

Users who are viewing this thread