The latest social media trend (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Flag shagger?

Is there something mentally wrong with people?
Do they not know how many people are fiercely proud of being British?
I am.
Being proud of your country doesn't just sit on the doorstep of people who sit right of centre... Many sportsmen and women proudly fly our flags , servicemen and women proudly wear our flag, so when did this ridiculous phrase become a thing?

Most of the people saying such nonsense on social media are sporting flags of various nations or unions in their bios anyway... Yet can't seem to see the irony.

For what it's worth, Wether you like the torys or not, pretty much every single world leader uses their nations flags upon addressing the nation and many too when being interviewed.
Its not exclusive to britain.

To make my point abundantly clear.... There is NOTHING wrong with being a proud brit, and there is Nothing wrong with using or parading the union flag

It doesn't make you a (and I'm quoting many twitter posts)
Nonce, nazi, fascist, gammon etc etc

Last edited:

pastythegreat

Flag shagger?

I am.
Being proud of your country doesn't just sit on the doorstep of people who sit right of centre... Many sportsmen and women proudly fly our flags , servicemen and women proudly wear our flag, so when did this ridiculous phrase become a thing?

Most of the people saying such nonsense on social media are sporting flags of various nations or unions in their bios anyway... Yet can't seem to see the irony.

For what it's worth, Wether you like the torys or not, pretty much every single world leader uses their nations flags upon addressing the nation and many too when being interviewed.

To make my point abundantly clear.... There is NOTHING wrong with being a proud brit, and there is Nothing wrong with using or parading the union Jack

Its the union flag not jack
And its also flown back to front/upside down FAR too often.
If the RSM walked out of his office in the morning and the Union Flag outside Battalion HQ was hung wrong, the person who hung it would be on shit duties for a month!!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

OffenhamSkyBlue

Thanks Evo - i absolutely concur!

You watch any government briefing from anywhere else in the world and they will have their nation's flag in the background. In France, every government building and school will proudly fly the tricoleur every day. I am not a fan of people dangling the St George's Cross out of their upstairs windows, but in many Scandinavian countries as one example, every house will fly their nation's flag from a little flagpole somewhere.
Being patriotic does not make you xenophobic, and i wish we made more of our flag!

Evo1883

Its the union flag not jack
And its also flown back to front/upside down FAR too often.
If the RSM walked out of his office in the morning and the Union Flag outside Battalion HQ was hung wrong, the person who hung it would be on shit duties for a month!!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
I know sorry, it actually came up as auto fill and just carried on

Evo1883

Anyone getting upset either way is a bellend.

England flag for me all day anyway over the union flag. Only when it comes to football though couldn’t give a fuck otherwise.

there are many people who can get annoyed about things like this... As I said many people, not just "GaMmOns or NaZiS" are fiercely proud of being British and love the union flag.
I served, I was proud to have the union flag on my uniform, we are a great nation/s of people who have achieved brilliant things

Me, I see myself as British first.. I see us as a collective group of nations , Wether politicians want to try and mess that up is ofcourse not of my doing or something I can stop ... I love England ofcourse in sporting terms.

Jagmannn

It can be called either..Union Jack or Union Flag .....it depends on your age - to me it is the Union Jack

Evo1883

End of the day, it's a lazy disrespectful slur and the only bellend are the ones who persist in using the phrase to make themselves look edgy on social media

Evo1883

You watch any government briefing from anywhere else in the world and they will have their nation's flag in the background. In France, every government building and school will proudly fly the tricoleur every day. I am not a fan of people dangling the St George's Cross out of their upstairs windows, but in many Scandinavian countries as one example, every house will fly their nation's flag from a little flagpole somewhere.
Being patriotic does not make you xenophobic, and i wish we made more of our flag!

My uncle lived in long Island, many Americans fly their flag, He had an American flag flying with a small union flag in the corner... As not to disrespect the locals basically

skybluetony176

I find the overuse by the current Conservative and Unionists party of the Union Jack ironic. Given its now full of hand picked morons who have promoted and overseen the very thing that is going to end the union ironic seems too small of a word. It means nothing when these charlatans and anyone who’s bought into their ideology waves it. It’s nationalism not patriotism. Flag shagger is extremely apt, given they’ve just literally fucked it.

I’ll go and watch an international athletics meeting with the kids and we all proudly wave the flag and the kids have it painted on their faces. My eldest dreams of representing the U.K. in the Olympics representing the flag. That means something and that’s patriotic.

Brighton Sky Blue

See myself English before British, but the Union Flag is very handsome.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I used to be the same, now view myself as British instead, all got more in common on these isles than a lot realise or want to admit.

Evo1883

I find the overuse by the current Conservative and Unionists party of the Union Jack ironic. Given its now full of hand picked morons who have promoted and overseen the very thing that is going to end the union ironic seems too small of a word. It means nothing when these charlatans and anyone who’s bought into their ideology waves it. It’s nationalism not patriotism. Flag shagger is extremely apt, given they’ve just literally fucked it.

I’ll go and watch an international athletics meeting with the kids and we all proudly wave the flag and the kids have it painted on their faces. My eldest dreams of representing the U.K. in the Olympics representing the flag. That means something and that’s patriotic.

I agree, problem is, the term is not just being thrown at the government

TomRad85

I used to be the same, now view myself as British instead, all got more in common on these isles than a lot realise or want to admit.
Oh of course we've got plenty in common, I don't won't to go breaking anything up. That said I used to cheer on all the home nations when I was younger, then I got older and realised they weren't doing the same so you know, fuck them I guess.

skybluetony176

I agree, problem is, the term is not just being thrown at the government
Sadly that’s what happens when flag shaggers get voted in with a large majority championed by morons who don’t even understand what the Union Jack represents. Collectively they ruin it for everyone with their bastardisation of the flag and ultimately have consigned it to the history dustbin. Usually while accusing everyone else of being unpatriotic. Again, ironic.

Evo1883

Sadly that’s what happens when flag shaggers get voted in with a large majority championed by morons who don’t even understand what the Union Jack represents. Collectively they ruin it for everyone with their bastardisation of the flag and ultimately have consigned it to the history dustbin. Usually while accusing everyone else of being unpatriotic. Again, ironic.

I disagree... And I don't even like the torys

Otis

there are many people who can get annoyed about things like this... As I said many people, not just "GaMmOns or NaZiS" are fiercely proud of being British and love the union flag.
I served, I was proud to have the union flag on my uniform, we are a great nation/s of people who have achieved brilliant things

Me, I see myself as British first.. I see us as a collective group of nations , Wether politicians want to try and mess that up is ofcourse not of my doing or something I can stop ... I love England ofcourse in sporting terms.
Umm... Britain First?

🤔

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I don't get the upset about it either, but there are definitely people that get triggered by it because they hate the country. It sets them off and it's a bit weird.

Even in Sweden they have flags up everywhere in the roughest parts.

In regards to BBC news laughing or whatever, I don't think that is anything to get upset about. I think the presenter was liking tweets that were a bit unsavoury which caused more of a reaction.

Evo1883

I don't get the upset about it either, but there are definitely people that get triggered by it because they hate the country. It sets them off and it's a bit weird.

Even in Sweden they have flags up everywhere in the roughest parts.

In regards to BBC news laughing or whatever, I don't think that is anything to get upset about. I think the presenter was liking tweets that were a bit unsavoury which caused more of a reaction.
Not bothered about the BBC tbh

TomRad85

As I said earlier, not sure of the accuracy of YouGov these days. But according to it, the haters are a minority.
83ec3243b0617823f126e049213c87cd.jpg

NorthernWisdom

Flag shagger?

I am.

To make my point abundantly clear.... There is NOTHING wrong with being a proud brit, and there is Nothing wrong with using or parading the union flag

Don't care if you do it, do care if a politician uses it in a fake insincere way to appeal to a base image. Also don't like it if people are forced to indulge in such fake patriotism, just live and let live either way.

That said, if this lefty had actual power, he'd be trying to reclaim the flag from the racists, rather than leaving them to it. Nowt wrong in being proud of coming from Cov, UK, Europe, the World... just need to make it a nice positive patriotism.

TomRad85

Don't care if you do it, do care if a politician uses it in a fake insincere way to appeal to a base image. Also don't like it if people are forced to indulge in such fake patriotism, just live and let live either way.

That said, if this lefty had actual power, he'd be trying to reclaim the flag from the racists, rather than leaving them to it. Nowt wrong in being proud of coming from Cov, UK, Europe, the World... just need to make it a nice positive patriotism.
Or they'd just sneer at it like Emily Thornberry.

shmmeee

I love the flag. My debit card is the Union Flag in fact. I hate the loud minority who go on and on about it.

That said, the recent trend of giant flags behind every Zoom interview and making it a political rather than patriotic statement is crass and unbritish IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread