The late charge (1 Viewer)

block16

Massively optimistic here, but I have a hunch we’ll sneak 3rd place with 80 points, scoring a few goals to take us over Wycombe on Goal Difference.
Tuesday night is huge. Win that game and we could be looking at having an autos shot on the last day.
I’m looking at the run in on the basis we win all our last 3. I think we will do this however don’t get me wrong i know its a big ask.

Notts county: need 4 points from 2 games for 80 points plus better GD.
They have a by no means easy game away at Grimsby, followed by Luton at home. Most likely result is 2 draws from them- meaning they finish on 78 points.

Next is Exeter: we have better GD so they could need 4 points to top our potential 80. They have Stevenage away followed by Colchester at home. Massive pressure on them in these games and I hope to god Colchester and Stevenage will make life tough for them. Will go to the final day.

Wycombe: just lost 4-0 at home. dropped form and lost Akinfenwa at just the wrong time. They need 2 points to hit 80, but from our potential 3 wins we’ll have made the goal difference up if they only manage draws. Chesterfield away and Stevenage at home. Straight forward but a draw or loss at Chesterfield away puts massive pressure on them final day.

All the teams still have a lot to do and we are all Stevenage fans for there remaining 2 games. none of the contenders are in great form whatsoever. Win Tuesday and i think it’ll go to the last day fighting for Autos.

Made this post more for my own good to keep track of what needs to happen. In a dream world we go up 80 points +20 goal difference after 3 consecutive 2-0 wins and teams around us stuttering a bit :) PUSB

block16

I love the optimism, but to say it's a long shot is putting it lightly. At this point, I'm happy with playoffs, whether we go up or not. We'll have a big platform to work off when our injured players are back. Then hopefully we'll bring in a few players that'll add quality.
Agree it’s huge ask however it could very easily go down to the last day which is something we’ve never been involved in !

smileycov

Facebook User
Whilst I fully understand, I also have half an eye on the possibility I think it is not gonna happen. Not so much us but I think Wycombe will top 80 points. They are wobbling but just too close to that mark to fail. Do think nothing will be sorted until last game though in all positions 3-8

bawtryneal

I love your optimism but think we will be 3 points short.
You can pinpoint many lost points but the two home defeats to Newport and FGR stick out for me
Two games we should have won and would have been 6 points better off.

MatthewWallis

I hope it does happen, but I done a predictor earlier and had us finishing 6th on 76 points

CovBurty

I keep thinking the same. just win last 3 and watch the others slip up. you just know that things never go that easy for City. also got a bet a 10/1 for auto, so your scenario makes me happy all round. too much reliance on others for me. play offs then see what happens.

steve cooper

Well I look at it like this, if we win our last 3 games we will have massive momentum in the playoffs. There is usually one team who creep into the final playoff place by virtue of a late run, and they go on to get promotion by hitting form at the right time. Either way, unlikely auto or late run, I think we will go up. We are joint favorites with Lincoln to win the playoffs, just need to beat them on Tuesday.

Otis

Well I look at it like this, if we win our last 3 games we will have massive momentum in the playoffs. There is usually one team who creep into the final playoff place by virtue of a late run, and they go on to get promotion by hitting form at the right time. Either way, unlikely auto or late run, I think we will go up. We are joint favorites with Lincoln to win the playoffs, just need to beat them on Tuesday.
And possibly again in the final.

skybluetony176

Although I admire the OP’s confidence and sincerely hope he’s right the worry for me is that Exeter normally fall apart by now having found themselves in the promotion mix but that hasn’t happened yet so my head is telling me that they will clinch third place.

Not convinced Wycombe will stay third and not convinced Notts county will do enough to replace them so it’s possible especially if we win on Tuesday but I’m not ready to allow myself to believe just yet.

Be great if third is still up for grabs on the final day though and we’re in the mix.

Londonccfcfan

Massively optimistic here, but I have a hunch we’ll sneak 3rd place with 80 points, scoring a few goals to take us over Wycombe on Goal Difference.
Tuesday night is huge. Win that game and we could be looking at having an autos shot on the last day.
I’m looking at the run in on the basis we win all our last 3. I think we will do this however don’t get me wrong i know its a big ask.

Notts county: need 4 points from 2 games for 80 points plus better GD.
They have a by no means easy game away at Grimsby, followed by Luton at home. Most likely result is 2 draws from them- meaning they finish on 78 points.

Next is Exeter: we have better GD so they could need 4 points to top our potential 80. They have Stevenage away followed by Colchester at home. Massive pressure on them in these games and I hope to god Colchester and Stevenage will make life tough for them. Will go to the final day.

Wycombe: just lost 4-0 at home. dropped form and lost Akinfenwa at just the wrong time. They need 2 points to hit 80, but from our potential 3 wins we’ll have made the goal difference up if they only manage draws. Chesterfield away and Stevenage at home. Straight forward but a draw or loss at Chesterfield away puts massive pressure on them final day.

All the teams still have a lot to do and we are all Stevenage fans for there remaining 2 games. none of the contenders are in great form whatsoever. Win Tuesday and i think it’ll go to the last day fighting for Autos.

Made this post more for my own good to keep track of what needs to happen. In a dream world we go up 80 points +20 goal difference after 3 consecutive 2-0 wins and teams around us stuttering a bit :) PUSB

Yup love your optimism, and must agree I looked at what you have and thought to myself stop dreaming. id take Play offs right now.

But like you say who knows? stranger things have happened.

Otis

One game at a time and it will be brilliant if we can beat Lincoln on Tuesday. Just about confirms our passage to the play-offs.

All we can do then is to try and beat Cheltenham and see how our rivals fared on Saturday.

skyblue025

Unrealistic to expect 4 teams who are above us to all fall apart at the same time and barely win a game between them, yet expect us to win 5 on the spin something we haven't done all season. Or for a good few season s come to that.

Mr Panda

It wasn't long back we were speaking about going on a run and nailing an automatic spot and then Yeovil happened.

You can't predict this league

steve cooper

Looking at the table, if we beat Lincoln on Tuesday and Cheltenham on Saturday, we only need Wycome to draw away at Chesterfield on Saturday for it to go to the last day. They would have 79 points, as would Notts C. if they beat Grimsby, and Exeter would have 80 if they beat Stevenage but they currently have an inferior goal difference to us. So while autos does look very unlikely, taking it into the final game is very possible provided we can win the next 2, and only relies on one other result.

Otis

Looking at the table, if we beat Lincoln on Tuesday and Cheltenham on Saturday, we only need Wycome to draw away at Chesterfield on Saturday for it to go to the last day. They would have 79 points, as would Notts C. if they beat Grimsby, and Exeter would have 80 if they beat Stevenage but they currently have an inferior goal difference to us. So while autos does look very unlikely, taking it into the final game is very possible provided we can win the next 2, and only relies on one other result.
Yeah. Would be nice at least if it came down to the final game.

Long shot for it to even come down to that, but it would make things more exciting.

Jackoskyblue

I make that, 2 draws for Wycombe in last 2, 1 win 1 loss for Exeter (both have worse GD) and a win and a loss for county then 3 wins for us!

Coventry - 80pts - 17GD (min)
———————————
Wycombe - 80pts - 17GD
Exeter - 80pts - 11GD
County - 79pts - 24GD

MatthewWallis

I make that, 2 draws for Wycombe in last 2, 1 win 1 loss for Exeter (both have worse GD) and a win and a loss for county then 3 wins for us!

Coventry - 80pts - 17GD (min)
———————————
Wycombe - 80pts - 17GD
Exeter - 80pts - 11GD
County - 79pts - 24GD

That scenario would have Wycombe finishing 3rd

Kingokings204

Yeah we won’t be finishing 3rd or even 4th. We have to win our last 3 games and that’s with 2 wins against Crawley and stevenage so 5 wins on the trot that would be... history shows you that won’t happen.

skybluesam66

so tomorrow 1-1 with 5 minutes to go
Should we be happy with the point to push us closer to the play offs, or go all out for a win to keep the autos alive?

Otis

I'm a girl next door type, so the one on the right for me every time. :)
giphy.gif

Astute

I'm a girl next door type, so the one on the right for me every time. :)
giphy.gif
Me? I wouldn't be greedy. You can have your choice and I'll have the other two.

Users who are viewing this thread