The Guardian: City were "valiant but limited" (1 Viewer)

The CableGuy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/11/reading-coventry-championship-match-report?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29

It was up front that they looked most ineffective early on, as they otherwise began well and had the better of the exchanges thanks to tidy passing and canny movement. Their captain, Sammy Clingan, was the fulcrum of much of their fine play but they lacked sharpness further up the field and the closest they came to turning possession into an early goal was in the 16th minute, when Gary Deegan drove a decent effort narrowly wide from 20 yards.

...Coventry's efforts never flagged but nor, in the early stages of the second half, did Reading have to do much to keep them at bay. The match, then, seemed set to chug towards an inevitable conclusion.

The goalkeepers were seldom called to action, which made Adam Federici's intervention in the 60th minute all the more impressive, as he surged off his line to punch clear a dangerous Cyrus Christie ball. That seemed to stoke Coventry's belief and three minutes later the Australian had to produce an even more admirable save when Deegan pounced on a loose pass by Kébé in midfield and slipped the ball through to Nimely. The striker unleashed a ferocious shot from 16 yards but Federici diverted it over the bar.

Improbably, the goalkeeper had to top even that a few minutes later when he hurled himself across his goal to tip over a fierce Deegan drive from distance.

...It did not matter, however, as is turned out that Reading had long since done enough to defeat opponent who were valiant but limited.

We're limited for games as soon as the team coach has to leave the City of Coventry boundary. 'Valiant' performances like this will be a distant memory when were losing at the likes of Yeovil and Hartlepool next season. :(

The CableGuy

Thanks for that Cable....I need more depression like a hole in the head!

Misery loves Company.

I bet on average, we keep possession longer within games then most teams in this league. A pity then, that we do far less with that possession then anyone else (especially away from home).

Besides, I'm sure we can do the double over Yeovil next season. :D

Tonylinc

Misery loves Company.

I bet on average, we keep possession longer within games then most teams in this league. A pity then, that we do far less with that possession then anyone else (especially away from home).

Besides, I'm sure we can do the double over Yeovil next season. :D
My loyalties will deffinately be devided but on balance, I will no doubt come down on the side of the Sky Blues!

stupot07

That's a good summation by the guardian, we are definitely weakest in the final third - we have a kid, a has been and a tree up front.

Users who are viewing this thread