The Grand National (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Anyone had any good tips yet? I know it's over a week away but I've got my early ante-post bets on. I had a great result last year with 1st, 3rd & 4th - all each way bets. So this year I'm going for:
Ballabriggs @ 14/1
Seabass @ 14/1
West End Rocker @ 14/1
(all each way again)
I really think Ballabriggs could be the first horse since Red Rum to get a back to back National win. Seabass has got great form (and because I catch loads of 'em!) and West End Rocker because he won the 2012 Becher Chase and is in great form.

Hope this helps some of you (although I'm not a professional tipster by any means!! ;))

kg82

Love this - I'm taking your tips! Need all the help I can get with this!

Houchens Head

Don't claim any losses against me KG!! :D

Houchens Head

By the way, my missus has gone for:
Seabass
According to Pete
Neptune Collonges
Chicago Grey

and before anyone mocks her choices, she is very lucky when the National comes round!! :)

kg82

I promise I won't, but there'll be few words if I get NOTHING back!! Although, it'll probably be my fault if that happens - pretty sure I could bet on Usain Bolt to beat Pavarotti and it wouldn't happen!

Otis

I always go for a bit of an outsider, something around the 25/1 - 33/1 mark and go for each way. Quite often pick up a few quid that way. It can be a bit of a lottery at times.

wingy

Best i ever did was around 30 yrs ago ,tenner on the nose little polvier ,great little trier .Watched the preview on the friday night and convinced myself the jockey threw himself out of the saddle in the previous years race (you know ilove a conspiracy),Came in at 25-1:claping hands:

I'm not really a gambler so only do a work sweepstake. Two years ago i ended up getting a horse with a female jockey, and last year my horse died. Out the two, still had more confidence in the dead one finishing the race though :whistle:

Houchens Head

My first National win was with Corbiere with Ben De Haan as jockey. It was 13/1. Can't remember how much I won but it wouldn't have been a lot. Previous to that, my then missus fell out with me big time coz I wouldn't put a bet on for her. In 1980 she wanted a couple of quid on an outsider called Ben Nevis because she had the same horse in a sweep at work. I said "Don't waste your money. It's got no chance!" Yep! It romped in at 40/1! 40 to bleedin' 1! :( So if your missus "has a gut feeling that a horse will do well", for gawds sake let her put the money on!

blueflint

i had devon lock fell in the run in while leading and crisp got caught in last three lengths so i wont be tipping owt :claping hands::claping hands::claping hands:

rob9872

Since they altered the fences and limited the field, then unless the ground is awful this isn't quite the lottery that everyone thinks. Traditionally I've done quite well on this. Not easy to pick the winner but fairly easy to lay plenty of the field who can't win the race. BEst I did was running a book up the local in 2003 when Montys Pass won and nobody in the pub had the winner. I think I rode it home from 150 miles away that day and got slightly drunk :)

Not always true but as a rule of thumb, the horse will be priced 25/1 or less, be aged between 8 & 11 and won't be carrying more than 11-2 or less than 10 (officially weighted). No guarantees but follow this and you'll probably remove half of the field.

LastGarrison

Ha ha it's amazing how many people don't clock it!

Don't really follow racing anymore but will be having a little nibble on West End Rocker!

skyblueprincess

I just pick mine because i like the colours they wear ~laughs~

The Reverend Skyblue

Once when Red Rum won one of his Grand Nationals i put a bit of money I made from my paltry paper round, each way on four horses.

We were playing at home as i will always remember the result was flashed onto the scoreboard behind the goal. I could'nt believe it when all my four horses came in the top four, and i won about £40 which to me felt like thousands.I can remember my Dad telling everyone around us which made me feel like some gambling genious.

I lived in a small village and my paper round consisited of just 9 houses, so i got payed a pittance, so it felt like i won the pools when it happened.

The Rev

Sky_Blue_Daz

Been to the national a couple of times, great day out

skyblueprincess

ok im having Shakalakaboomboom (just coz i cant say it with out laughing to my self )
Always Right (because im always right ) and
Hello Bud (because i got friend called Bud who said i have to bet on it lol )

Users who are viewing this thread