The English Manager complex (1 Viewer)

scroobiustom

Perhaps its just a mere grievance of mine, but the immediate calls for the next England manager to be English really piss me off.

Listening to various Radio today has demonstrated that 'Buzz the electriction & Dave white van man' believe 'Arry should be the next manager, with all due respect what do they know?

I'm hardly qualified myself and opinions are interesting, but honestly if Wenger, Mourinho or even Sir Alex applied for the job I couldn't give a rats arse that they weren't English, why should it be an automatic English Manager?

rant over, carry on

ccfcdan

Personallly i believe that only an English manager should be able to manage England. Same should apply to all national sides. only my opinon though :D

hughescov

It would be nice to have the England football team, full of English players managed by an English manager! For a diverse world some patriotism is a good thing!

stupot07

Why is football so different to cricket - we've got a Zimbabwean coach and a batting line made if predominately south African batsman and Irish man, and no one gives a toss.

Paxman II

Frankly even the players are up for an English/British guy to take the helm! It would be another faux pas for the FA to dismiss players thoughts. Our 'best' player Rooney has even stated harry for the job!
It's well known that Capello did not learn the English language enough and the same was said of Sven. Both failed badly in my book.
Cultural differences are a strong factor. As for Harry? One FA Cup yes with a team you would not imagine (like us) would win it. Harry has improved every club he has gone to. Now if he was in charge of the budget Chelsea gave Mohrinio he too would have more trophies in the cabinet!

Once again the FA are saying the silliest things: "We don't want to rush anything. There's no need to rush. We'll give it proper consideration and it'll have high priority." Is that not the daftest statement you ever did hear? So contradictory in one sentence! Did he go to school?

So no rush? Oh I see we lose our manager ahead of the second most important tournament in the world and we are in no hurry?

Is it racist to not want another foreign manager?
Harry is in his 60's and now would be the last chance to see him do the job. Even the great Bobby Moore it has been reported when asked said harry should be the England manager.

I guess the FA will slap ego's around, talk to all and sundry and get so deep they will end up picking another strange one instead of the obvious one that most fans (I agree not all) would be happy with prior to the euro finals. Or will they actually listen this time.....?

Last edited:

ccfcno9

I,m not sure if Harry is the right man for the england job albiet my patronism wishes that we appoint an english manager.
It would however be ironic if Harry was given the job as he if my memory recalls he was one of the pioneers of the mass introduction of overseas players(for less wages than our guys) contributing to the decline in development of homegrown talent. Were these actions to the detriment of our more recent national managers

Grendel

It's well known that Capello did not learn the English language enough and the same was said of Sven. Both failed badly in my book.

Sven not learn English? I understood him more than Redknap! He didn't fail either he just didn't over achieve. England are on normal form a quarter final team in major competitions and that is always where we ended with him. Also it is amusing everyone rants about an English manager to succeed Cappello and Sven yet they seem to overlook that we had an English manager in between the two of them. As Brucie would say "didn't he do well".

wingy

We've had some good win ratios over 60% with the last two ,last english manager to achieve that level was Hoddle ,shame he blew it with our dismal media ,but as good as those stats are the failure comes when we get to the coalface ,we just don't cut it during tournaments .My view ,the tail wags the dog ,and we don't need to listen to these over hyped over payed demi -gods ,about wags, managers,venues etc,too many devisive egos,not enough doing it when it counts ,you only need one or two to upset the team ethic when your away for three or four weeks ,a factor that truelly needs considering when you select your team.

mark82

Personallly i believe that only an English manager should be able to manage England. Same should apply to all national sides. only my opinon though :D

Completely agree with this. Should be same eligibility rules as it is for players.

stupot07

We've had some good win ratios over 60% with the last two ,last english manager to achieve that level was Hoddle ,shame he blew it with our dismal media ,but as good as those stats are the failure comes when we get to the coalface ,we just don't cut it during tournaments .My view ,the tail wags the dog ,and we don't need to listen to these over hyped over payed demi -gods ,about wags, managers,venues etc,too many devisive egos,not enough doing it when it counts ,you only need one or two to upset the team ethic when your away for three or four weeks ,a factor that truelly needs considering when you select your team.

The problem is we don't play decent teams competitively enough. We're always 1st seeds in qualifying so only have to play very average and poor teams and because of winning the group our world ranking stays high so then we're seeded at the world cup and euros. This means we can usually scrape through the goup without having to perform (I.e last world cup) then as soon as we have to play a decent team in the knockout stage we then get beat. Then because we got to the knockout stage our world ranking stays high and we're seeded again for the next qualifying campaign.

The south American qualifying group is much more competitive.

scroobiustom

The "complex" I have highlighted is not relative to patriotism, but rather the confused biased outlook we as English supporters place upon the idea of "we invented football".

If national teams were managed by national managers where do you draw the line? Klinsmann with Germany, lived in the USA and got berated, would the managers have to move to their native countries also to be given credence for selection?

The simple outcome is that the best man for the job should get it, remove the stereotype's and English identity and we stand a chance, alternatively if 'Arry says no Stuart Pearce would give it a go! you Choose.

Users who are viewing this thread