THE DEPENDABLES - 1967 until Now (1 Viewer)

When you think back over the years (probably a bit unfair on younger SBT's I know) but we have had some cracking players and teams fit to grace any stadium.But set aside your super stars high transfer fee players etc and think about the others who didn't quite catch the eye or were taken for granted.

I am talking about players who gave there all, probably limited in super skills and were probably regarded as institutions who carried out their duties with dignity, loyalty and enthusiasm for the game.

I would like to tag them as THE DEPENDABLES always there, always giving 100% always reliable.

Starting with the 1960's era and allocating each player to respective footballing decades until today below is my first stab at naming these stalwarts of the game I am sure there are many more:

1960's - ERNIE MACHIN - (1963-1972) - 257 League Games / 33 goals
good workhorse, passing ability superb - had an eye for goal when needed

1970's - MICK COOP - (1966-1981) - 420/18
hardly put a foot wrong, good defender, could go forward as well - hardly injured

1980's - TREVOR PEAKE (1983-1991) - 278/6
one of the best uncapped CB's, deceptive in the air - could play ball out of defence

1990's - RICHARD SHAW (1995-2006) - 317/1
lionheart Richard, one of the best one for one markers, sorely missed

2000's - MICHAEL DOYLE (2003-2011) - 265/20
box to box Mr Energy, limited ball control but could boss the midfield

What is conclusive is the length of long service they gave to CCFC not quick fit journymen but loyal to the cause.

There are many more: Brian Hill, Ron Farmer, Paul Telfer, Willie Carr, Chis Cattlin .......

Willing to be shot down for my choice but what do you think ???

PUSB

oakey

Michael Doyle does not belong in that list. He was average, at best. Awful in many games.
To add to your list you need... David Clements, Brian Borrows, David Burrows, Bobby Parker, Roy Barry.

DukeOfCov

Ok..point taken..but, Dublin was dependable - you could depend on him doing a first class job either as a defender or as a striker.

Real

The original post is totally discredited with the inclusion of Richard Shaw. The fact this clown has gone down as a City legend is a sad indictment of City supporters and what they are prepared to accept.

torchomatic

Did someone say Oggy?! No way!

Stoppercurtis

I agree with your selection except for the 60's. Dave Clements was a class players but the guy who stands out as Mr Dependable having the made the most of his abilities has to be George Curtis. George goes way back into the 50's replacing another Mr Dependable George Mason. He went through the divisions with us. I always thoguht he would struggle every time we got promoted but he didn't.

Stopper

I agree with your selection except for the 60's. Dave Clements was a class players but the guy who stands out as Mr Dependable having the made the most of his abilities has to be George Curtis. George goes way back into the 50's replacing another Mr Dependable George Mason. He went through the divisions with us. I always thoguht he would struggle every time we got promoted but he didn't.

Stopper

I agree Stopper Iron Man George was immense, greatly respected outside of the club as one of the best centre halves of his time. But what I am trying to illustrate with this DEPENDABLE thread are the sort of players not widely respected outside of CCFC but turn out week in week out, not particularly gifted but reliable and committed to the Sky Blue cause.

Ernie Machin and the others typified that classification performing consistently throughout their time at the club whilst not being the envy of other clubs.

PUSB

ccfctommy

The original post is totally discredited with the inclusion of Richard Shaw. The fact this clown has gone down as a City legend is a sad indictment of City supporters and what they are prepared to accept.

Haha. I was waiting for this responce!!

aloisiwouldhavescored

Bill Glazier has always been my fave City goalkeeper - always Mr Dependable

ExmouthNeil

Brian Borrows Definitely Mr Dependable

Lloyd McGrath the only player that managed to dislocate Bryan Robson's shoulder TWICE!!!!!!

Oggy.... Had very few bad games (he did struggle when the not picking up the backpass rule came in :facepalm: )

And finally Trevor Peake SHOULD have played for England

Tonylinc

Going way back.....Barry Powell. I never rally rated him till he was not there. Only then did I appreciate the work he did for the team.

Users who are viewing this thread