THE BEST HEADER OF A BALL - Top 3 for CCFC 1967-2012 ??? (1 Viewer)

georgehudson

i'll just throw in a few old 'wild' ones, ray straw, ted roberts, and even 'george hudson' let alone george kirby, colin stein, dave bamber, but you can never forget keith houchen for his 87 header !!!!!!!!!!!!
PUSB

Walking Bird

David Speedie was amazing. I'm sure he scored a hat trick of headers once. Although Mo Konjic could head the ball from one end of the pitch to another..

mi1o

im nominating Platt, i know he could do with scoring more but does anyone else not notice the pure accuracy of his heading, its really crisp and precise.

EleanorRigby

Depends how far back you want to go George Curtis could head a ball 50 yards under pressure Hudson, Bly, Ted Roberts, George Kirby, Larry Lloyd, Colin Stein, David Cross, Mick Ferguson, Speedie and of course Dion Dublin....The best, for me has to be Curtis heading rain sodden leather balls half the pitch time after time...awsome.

shmmeee

Has to be Dublin, but also special mention for Paul Telfer who was a successful part of the only goal kick "routine" I've ever seen. I swear he won the ball every single time. Can't remember the last time we consistently won the ball from long kicks...

WillieStanley

I can't believe no one has mentioned Kev Gallagher! That fella could freaking head. Best in the league at the time!

georgehudson

two for the oldies,
ted roberts & ray straw,
great headers of the ball but not so hot with their feet,
modern day, has to be dublin,
PUSB

skybluelee

Nothing better to do so just wondering if you would all like to offer your choices of who is/was the best header of a ball for CCFC from our first season in the big time until now.

To prompt peoples memories listed below are some of the names I can recall (being an old git) and I've split them into Strikers and Defenders all with their respective seasons playing for CCFC - there are obviously more.

I have also nominated my choice as Top Striker and top Defender - so here goes:

Nominated Strikers:

Neil Martin 68-71
Mick Ferguson 71-81
David Cross 73-76
Garry Thompson 77-83
Cyrille Regis 84-91
David Speedie 87-91
Dion Dublin 94-98

Nominated Defenders:

George Curtis 55-69
Roy Barry 69-73
Trevor Peake 83-91
Brian Kilcline 84-91
Mo Konjic 99-04
Richard Keogh 10-??

Therefore my choice for the best header of a ball by a CCFC Striker is:

DION DUBLIN
Not only for power but also for cushioned headers and layoffs

My choice for the best header of a ball by a CCFC Defender is:

BRIAN KILCLINE
Pure power both in defence and attack (corners and set pieces etc)

(The best pound for pound (or inch for inch) header of a ball was surely David Speedie at only 5' 7" this guy could leap like a salmon - he once scored a hat trick of headers against Sheffield Wednesday in the 88/89 season at home !!!)

Thoughts

PUSB

ps: I bet as soon as I press the thread submit button I will think of some others !!!

Speedie also scored a hattrick of headers v Mboro in the same season, lost 3-4. Absolutely hero worshipped him when I was 13. Ruined my holiday in Florida when he left.

Users who are viewing this thread