The Best Decades ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Talking to a customer today who is the same age as me and we both went to Caludon Castle school . He commented at how things have changed over the years, and how life is strange these days etc. I agreed and it got me thinking that we both were lucky in a way to be born in the fifties, and grew up in the sixties. I personally think we listened to the best music in the 70's,on the pitch the football was exciting and entertaining, and the nightlife in Coventry along with plenty of pubs was always lively. Yes there was negatives as all decades have had, but on the whole it was loads better than now.
Add to that proper summers and winters, and no wonder my old school mate was all nostalgic. But my youngest son I bet will say his decades were best !

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Slightly older sixties for me in at the start of the most influential time in music history.We just did not realize that so much of it would be around today.We worked for next to nothing but the money we got went along way.(pint seven and half pence in todays money).The thing is we looked at everything through young eyes and I agree about nightlife summers and winter .Parents ask us "what rubbish are you listening too" son probably asks the same question of the grandchildren.Think S A J pots is so true

Brighton Sky Blue

At least in the 90s I still got to watch Dublin, Huckerby, Boateng etc, there was still some original music around and nobody knew what the SNP really was. Oh and a Freddo did actually cost 5 p. Objectively though, the boomers have it best.

olderskyblue

Same as BBR. We’re the same age so not surprising.

So much freedom as kids, and then the music changes in the 60’s but going in pubs, following City, and all the great bands to see in the 70’s makes it my favourite.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My favourite few years were from about 1968 - 1973ish. Left school in '68, rode motorbikes for a while, got to be a bit of a rebel. Downsides were I lost my dad in '71, older sister was killed in '72 and I got married for the first time in '71. Ah well! Life has it's ups and downs eh?

bringbackrattles

My favourite few years were from about 1968 - 1973ish. Left school in '68, rode motorbikes for a while, got to be a bit of a rebel. Downsides were I lost my dad in '71, older sister was killed in '72 and I got married for the first time in '71. Ah well! Life has it's ups and downs eh?
Been watching the news and doesn't fill you with optimism does it ? Can't go to the football, go to the pub, rules,rules,rules, one step forward,then one step back. What a strange time we are living in never known anything like it.

Houchens Head

Been watching the news and doesn't fill you with optimism does it ? Can't go to the football, go to the pub, rules,rules,rules, one step forward,then one step back. What a strange time we are living in never known anything like it.
I was talking about this to my missus earlier and I likened it to the early days of the last world war. New rules, blackouts, rationing, not knowing who to trust, air raids. Our folks got through that and I believe we all will with this shite. Incidentally, today marked 27 years that my mum passed away and it was because of her memory that I had the above conversation with 'er indoors. My mum told me loads of stories about the war and how they had to cope. She'd have been great handling all this! She would have been 99 next year.

bringbackrattles

I was talking about this to my missus earlier and I likened it to the early days of the last world war. New rules, blackouts, rationing, not knowing who to trust, air raids. Our folks got through that and I believe we all will with this shite. Incidentally, today marked 27 years that my mum passed away and it was because of her memory that I had the above conversation with 'er indoors. My mum told me loads of stories about the war and how they had to cope. She'd have been great handling all this! She would have been 99 next year.
That generation were tough and stoic and just got on with it all. But I find this time weird to be honest, very strange and surreal. But like our parents generation and those before we will adapt no doubt, and just take it as it comes.
At least I can get out on my round and get some fresh air, until they say otherwise !

Covkid1968#

The 90s were awesome!!! Great British music scene.... footy was good.... drugs freely available. Should have been more responsible as was mid to late 20s but I was a complete dick!!! Whilst I’m still that same dick... I have to hide it with a veneer of respectability

johnwillomagic

90's by a mile for me as well in terms of football, music, everything really!
As someone has pointed out you are always likely to pick the decade when you were in your teens/early 20's by default normally though.

Kneeza

My two are in their mid thirties, and 'their' music is definitely mid-nineties and on.
However, the slightly older one and I occasionally have late night Whatsapp sessions (always initiated by her after a few bevvies!) when she pings loads of Youtube links over. Always of songs that she considers 'holiday songs': stuff that we played on the car stereo on long trips when they were little.
It's not unusual (nah, no Tom Jones) for her to send over Bob Dylan, Stones, Springsteen, Tom Petty, Bob Seger, U2, Traffic, Small Faces etc stuff.
Music transcends decades, sometimes.

skybluesam66

70s and 80s for me
childhood , teens and early 20s

Football - the world cup really was the world cup (even though england were rarely there) - but full of players you had never heard of rather than watching Barcelona v Real madrid select 11 in half of the matches

In england anybody could win - liverpool mostly won the league but forest/derby/villa/everton all had a go
As for the FA cup - that was THE day in football where the whole world stood still. This stopped not long after we won it, as it used to be the 1 live football game on TV - as soon as it was on everyday, the FA cup lost its magic

Music - Take live aid. Every act was known by everybody whether you were 5 or 95. Imagine a live aid today, unless you were really close to music,

TV - People watched the same programmes, so you could have a great chat and catch up on them

Friends - people had real friends not virtual ones (pushing it a bit here, but we would actually meet up or phone up rather than just online messaging)

Eating out - didnt do it a lot, and the choice was very limited - so much better today, but then it was a real treat

Nightlife - For me it was the Tomangos (Parrot) Park Lane, Busters, Studio 21 era

The innocence of not knowing . We were out from dawn until dusk. Walked to school without parents from a very young age (6 or 7). Would catch the bus, go into town etc while still at primary school

Chipmunk Crisps, Freddos, Scratchings from the chippy, shandy bass, the corona man, Davenports man,

Being able to go into a pub at a young age, without being asked for ID - for me around 16, I am sure I only probably looked 12, but even then it was never really questioned

Being ok to be patriotic, without being racist

Not even noticing the colour of people;s skin (Indian or black kids at school - were just Steve, Michael or Mohammed - they were just one of us (albeit they probably did suffer from ignorant people as they do today))

But we do forget in the same period
3 day week
Miners strikes
IRA attacks
Falklands war
Bread rationing
Football hooliganism and sub 10k crowds in the top flight because of it
Prejudice in society in general (still there but not as it was) It used to be the norm, whether racial, Sexual or any other type.

My dad when he was alive used to reminisce about war time - he was only a young child and he thought the Sirens etc were fun as they all had to run. I wonder how kids of today will look back at 2020

Kneeza

The three day week I remember very well. Factories were allocated either Monday, Tuesday, and Weds working, or Thurs, Fri, and Saturday.
My place was the latter - and I was on nights, so worked three 10 hour shifts on Thursday, Fri and Sat nights. My mate joked that the only people we saw on the way home at 6.30am on Sunday were prostitutes or the odd milkman.
I also vividly recall the Birmingham bombings being reported on the radios that were a part of nightshift. Without access to a tv it was all a bit scant, and scary.

Houchens Head

My two are in their mid thirties, and 'their' music is definitely mid-nineties and on.
However, the slightly older one and I occasionally have late night Whatsapp sessions (always initiated by her after a few bevvies!) when she pings loads of Youtube links over. Always of songs that she considers 'holiday songs': stuff that we played on the car stereo on long trips when they were little.
It's not unusual (nah, no Tom Jones) for her to send over Bob Dylan, Stones, Springsteen, Tom Petty, Bob Seger, U2, Traffic, Small Faces etc stuff.
Music transcends decades, sometimes.
Love all of these! Great choice!

Houchens Head

Bit long, but a great read!......
REMEMBER WHEN…………….

Close your eyes and go back in time....
Before the Internet and Sky TV....
Before semi-automatics, drive-by shootings, joy riders, muggers and crack....
Before Mobile Phones, IPads and X-Boxes...

Way back........

I'm talking about Hide and Seek in the park. When Mum did the weeks shopping in the corner shop.

Hopscotch. Butterscotch. Skipping.

Tucking your skirt into your knickers for handstands. Football with an old can.

Beano, Dandy, Buster, Twinkle and Dennis the Menace, Dan Dare in the Eagle.

Only two basic flavours of crisps – plain and salt ‘n’ vinegar and blue bags of salt in your crisp packet.

A tanners worth of chips, jumping the stream, building dams. The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass.

A fortnight’s holiday away was spent at Skegness or Blackpool.

When Gay meant brightly coloured. School puddings – (frog spawn) semolina!
Bazooka Joe bubble gum. Blackjacks. Sucking on pyramid shaped Jubley’s until your lips were numb. An ice cream cone on a warm summer night from the van that plays a decent tune. Chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe Neapolitan or perhaps a screwball.

Watching Saturday morning cartoons, short commercials or the flicks. The “Tanner Rush” at the Odeon on a Saturday morning. Children’s Film Foundation, The Double Decker’s, Red Hand Gang.

When around the corner seemed far away and going into town seemed like going somewhere. Earwigs, wasps, stinging nettles and bee stings. White dog shit. Sticky fingers. Playing Marbles. Ball bearings. Big 'uns and Little 'uns. Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and Zorro. Climbing trees. Building igloos out of snow banks. Walking to school, no matter what the weather.

Running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.

There were only three channels on TV, but there was always something to watch.

Christmas TV Specials – Morecombe and Wise, the Two Ronnies and The Great Escape. Dave Allen, Adam Adamant, Jackie Pallo wrestling on a Saturday on World of Sport. The ITV Seven. Quatermass and the Pit.
Being tired from playing....remember that?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. Water balloons were the ultimate weapon. Football cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle.

Choppers and Grifters. Eating raw jelly.
Remember when... There were three types of trainers – girls, boys and Dunlop Green Flash - and the only time you wore them at school was for P.E.
You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents. It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends. You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas eve.
When nobody owned a pure-bred dog.

When 2/6d was decent pocket money.

Curly Whirlys. Space Dust. Toffo's.

When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.

And nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got there.

When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it. When being sent to the Head's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home. Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc. Parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat!
Decisions were made by going "Ip Dip Dog Shit". Race issue meant arguing about who ran the fastest. Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly".

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was germs. And the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to the opposite sex!

It was unbelievable that 'British Bulldog' wasn't an Olympic event.

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a catapult.

Nobody was prettier than your Mum. Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.

Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin.

Ice cream was considered a basic food group.

Real winters. White Christmases. Thick fog. Open coal fires. Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.

Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.

When having the slag from the back of the coal lorry, was respectable!
When two fags an’ a strike, has nothing to do with gay rights, or industrial action.
When social services, was why the cops didn’t nick the ladies on the street corner.
When earning a crust meant mucking out the bakers yard in exchange for the stale loaf ends, to make a bread pudding.
When parking wasn’t an issue because no one had a car.
Being sat outside a pub with a packet of crisps was a treat not abuse!
When being top and tailed was a standard sleeping arrangement for kids.
When we weren’t allowed round any single Mum’s with a telly, because it meant she was definitely self employed!
When we didn’t care, because giving the kids sixpence for the telly was an additional levy they had to pay!
When getting the telly taken away, meant either the rental hadn’t been paid, or the meter had been jemmied off the back. (Often both!)
When ‘’want to watch our telly?’’ was a social invitation.
When neighbours would put straw on the cobbles to dampen the noise when someone was dying.

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED.

ovduk78

Bit long, but a great read!......
REMEMBER WHEN…………….

Close your eyes and go back in time....
Before the Internet and Sky TV....
Before semi-automatics, drive-by shootings, joy riders, muggers and crack....
Before Mobile Phones, IPads and X-Boxes...

Way back........

I'm talking about Hide and Seek in the park. When Mum did the weeks shopping in the corner shop.

Hopscotch. Butterscotch. Skipping.

Tucking your skirt into your knickers for handstands. Football with an old can.

Beano, Dandy, Buster, Twinkle and Dennis the Menace, Dan Dare in the Eagle.

Only two basic flavours of crisps – plain and salt ‘n’ vinegar and blue bags of salt in your crisp packet.

A tanners worth of chips, jumping the stream, building dams. The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass.

A fortnight’s holiday away was spent at Skegness or Blackpool.

When Gay meant brightly coloured. School puddings – (frog spawn) semolina!
Bazooka Joe bubble gum. Blackjacks. Sucking on pyramid shaped Jubley’s until your lips were numb. An ice cream cone on a warm summer night from the van that plays a decent tune. Chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe Neapolitan or perhaps a screwball.

Watching Saturday morning cartoons, short commercials or the flicks. The “Tanner Rush” at the Odeon on a Saturday morning. Children’s Film Foundation, The Double Decker’s, Red Hand Gang.

When around the corner seemed far away and going into town seemed like going somewhere. Earwigs, wasps, stinging nettles and bee stings. White dog shit. Sticky fingers. Playing Marbles. Ball bearings. Big 'uns and Little 'uns. Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and Zorro. Climbing trees. Building igloos out of snow banks. Walking to school, no matter what the weather.

Running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.

There were only three channels on TV, but there was always something to watch.

Christmas TV Specials – Morecombe and Wise, the Two Ronnies and The Great Escape. Dave Allen, Adam Adamant, Jackie Pallo wrestling on a Saturday on World of Sport. The ITV Seven. Quatermass and the Pit.
Being tired from playing....remember that?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. Water balloons were the ultimate weapon. Football cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle.

Choppers and Grifters. Eating raw jelly.
Remember when... There were three types of trainers – girls, boys and Dunlop Green Flash - and the only time you wore them at school was for P.E.
You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents. It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends. You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas eve.
When nobody owned a pure-bred dog.

When 2/6d was decent pocket money.

Curly Whirlys. Space Dust. Toffo's.

When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.

And nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got there.

When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it. When being sent to the Head's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home. Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc. Parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat!
Decisions were made by going "Ip Dip Dog Shit". Race issue meant arguing about who ran the fastest. Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly".

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was germs. And the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to the opposite sex!

It was unbelievable that 'British Bulldog' wasn't an Olympic event.

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a catapult.

Nobody was prettier than your Mum. Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.

Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin.

Ice cream was considered a basic food group.

Real winters. White Christmases. Thick fog. Open coal fires. Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.

Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.

When having the slag from the back of the coal lorry, was respectable!
When two fags an’ a strike, has nothing to do with gay rights, or industrial action.
When social services, was why the cops didn’t nick the ladies on the street corner.
When earning a crust meant mucking out the bakers yard in exchange for the stale loaf ends, to make a bread pudding.
When parking wasn’t an issue because no one had a car.
Being sat outside a pub with a packet of crisps was a treat not abuse!
When being top and tailed was a standard sleeping arrangement for kids.
When we weren’t allowed round any single Mum’s with a telly, because it meant she was definitely self employed!
When we didn’t care, because giving the kids sixpence for the telly was an additional levy they had to pay!
When getting the telly taken away, meant either the rental hadn’t been paid, or the meter had been jemmied off the back. (Often both!)
When ‘’want to watch our telly?’’ was a social invitation.
When neighbours would put straw on the cobbles to dampen the noise when someone was dying.

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED.
Brilliant HH.
Semolina was always lumpy as a school pudding, frogspawn was tapioca.

bringbackrattles

Been on the round today and as it is a strange time wasnt expecting much cheer from customers. So I was pleasantly surprised to find all of them chirpy,and came away with a nice tip from each house, including cards and the odd biscuit assortment tin from a couple of my older customers. One chap is a big West Ham supporter been a fan 50 odd years, so we have good banter. He stuck a fiver in a card from him and his family, opened it up and it's got Merry Christmas from West Ham United with the hammers cross logo emblazoned on it. Bet he loved seeing my reaction ! But fair play to them all on the round, keeping cheerful etc.

Users who are viewing this thread