Tennis (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

Having watched a bit recently and it's nice to see some British success.

My point tonight though is that it would appear to be the most cosmopolitan sport there is?

rob9872

And thanks for making that point. This forum in particular has been missing that for some time.

Covstu

It's probably one of the most evolved sports despite the current pay row but I struggle to get into it at the moment

Gazolba

Now that we are giving UK citizenship to some foreigners we have a chance. Would be nice to see some home-grown English talent though.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Didn’t want to start a new thread-

But Serena Williams last night-

Disgusting, taking away a 20 year old kids moment winning her first grand slam, she’s booed by the crowd yet done nothing wrong & Williams coach later admitted to coaching her when she was penalised!

She deserves a ban and owes Osaka and the umpire a massive apology!!

Otis

Didn’t want to start a new thread-

But Serena Williams last night-

Disgusting, taking away a 20 year old kids moment winning her first grand slam, she’s booed by the crowd yet done nothing wrong & Williams coach later admitted to coaching her when she was penalised!

She deserves a ban and owes Osaka and the umpire a massive apology!!

Yup.

Can't believe how many people are sticking up for Williams. She may have done nothing wrong herself as such, but it was HER coach and if she should be angry with anyone it should be him.

Whatever went on there is no excuse for abusing an official like that and it's disappointing that the a lot of the crowd were on her side.

Now awaiting a surge of copycat behaviour from junior tennis players.

You watch your heroes and heroines behave like that and be applauded for it, you can expect copycat behaviour from your kids.

I do agree of course that men and women should be treated identically in these situations, but it is quite saddening to see the likes of Billie-Jean King only praising Williams and focusing on nothing else.

Nick

Administrator
What a twat, she's now trying to make out it's about women's rights. If that fails she might as well try the race card

The girl who won is forgotten about.

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

What a twat, she's now trying to make out it's about women's rights. If that fails she might as well try the race card

By tonight it will be because she is a black woman and a mother she should be made to apologise but I guess she will just fire her coach

Sky Blue Pete

I don’t get it really. She seems to be saying as a woman I should be able to act like an idiot too. Well you can Serena but there are consequences like code violations and posting more poorly as you lose concentration when angry.

Oh and while we are at it you could be remembered not as a superstar but as someone who turned nasty in the later stages of her career

Paul Anthony

The cynic in me thinks that's what's behind it, at the end.

It keeps the headlines all about her, first and foremost. It hides the fact that she didn't play her best, and changes the focal point of why she wasn't.

I don't follow tennis much. But I do know in any sport, rules are rules. When you play a sport, you accept those rules and your responsibility to play by them. From what I've read, the punishment was absolutely correct.

No one person can ever be bigger than the sport. It's why I never liked Michael Schumacher and Ferrari, that air of "we are who we are, we can do whatever we want and what is anyone going to really do about it?"

It's Osaka I feel really sorry for. It should have been the biggest moment of her life so far. She should be the headlines. Instead, she looked gutted to have won and that isn't right.

Ashdown

Yup.

Can't believe how many people are sticking up for Williams. She may have done nothing wrong herself as such, but it was HER coach and if she should be angry with anyone it should be him.

Whatever went on there is no excuse for abusing an official like that and it's disappointing that the a lot of the crowd were on her side.

Now awaiting a surge of copycat behaviour from junior tennis players.

You watch your heroes and heroines behave like that and be applauded for it, you can expect copycat behaviour from your kids.

I do agree of course that men and women should be treated identically in these situations, but it is quite saddening to see the likes of Billie-Jean King only praising Williams and focusing on nothing else.
Typical Americans though, cultureless and classless buffoons at times. Glad the Japanese kid won.

chiefdave

Its hardly news to anyone that watches any sport that officiating is inconsistent so the fact that can find instances of male players not getting punished means nothing. You can also find instances of women not getting punished and men getting point or game penalties.

Murray got a point penalty at Wimbledon a few years back, going further back I remember Lendal getting a game penalty. Sure there's plenty more example but like most Brits tennis barely registers unless its Wimbledon.

Clear to me. Coaching from the stands, which her coach has admitted, was her first code violation and got her a warning, smashing her racquet was the second and a point penalty, going off at the umpire the third and a game penalty. She's got exactly the punishment the rules say she should.

Otis

Its hardly news to anyone that watches any sport that officiating is inconsistent so the fact that can find instances of male players not getting punished means nothing. You can also find instances of women not getting punished and men getting point or game penalties.

Murray got a point penalty at Wimbledon a few years back, going further back I remember Lendal getting a game penalty. Sure there's plenty more example but like most Brits tennis barely registers unless its Wimbledon.

Clear to me. Coaching from the stands, which her coach has admitted, was her first code violation and got her a warning, smashing her racquet was the second and a point penalty, going off at the umpire the third and a game penalty. She's got exactly the punishment the rules say she should.
Well, yes, but it's a shame the penalty was given to her by a liar, thief and a cheat.

The umpire SHOULD apologise and that's simply because she is Serena Williams.

Nick

Administrator

It's the way she thinks she is above it all because of her record and her name. Failing that, play the sexist card. Failing that, throw in the race card.

vow

Cartoon_1536663800849_97102931_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Now folks are outraged by this cartoon being racist and/or sexist?

For me it's just a caricature that's taking the piss out of her behaviour.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Paul Anthony

What on earth makes it racist? Its just a satirical depiction of events.

Covstu

Certainly things like this that will haunt her after her career is over. No one likes a sore loser

Otis

Cartoon_1536663800849_97102931_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Now folks are outraged by this cartoon being racist and/or sexist?

For me it's just a caricature that's taking the piss out of her behaviour.

Thoughts?
EVXstB
Some are saying they whitewashed the Japanese player.

Think if you look hard enough at anything you can see whatever you want to see.

Reactions: vow

Paul Anthony

I don't think it's racist, just to make it clear!

Oh, didn't mean to make it sound that you did, just kind of came across that way in my wording!

Think Otis is probably right. If people have a reason to look for something, they'll find it if they want to.

larry_david

Not sure where to start on Williams. Maybe the time she got foot faulted and threatened to 'shove this fucking tennis ball down your throat' to the lines judge. Or maybe the time she called the umpire ugly inside because she docked her a point, or told her if she sees her down the corridor she should cross the other side. Or maybe whenever she's losing a match she starts intimidating factors by screaming at every shot, so much so it actually puts her off, or the coaching, or saying she's standing up to sexism when really she's made an absolute tit of herself. One of these days someone in the game will stand up against her but not for a while, everyone's too scared. Osaka actually apologised to the crowd for winning, utterly astonishing. Can't stand Williams, bully, intimidating, no class at all except in the media where she's the soft spoken darling and everyone laps it up. She even played the fucking mother card on sat.

Gazolba

No-one has mentioned Naomi Osaka choosing to represent Japan and being hailed as the first 'Japanese' grand-slam winner, even though she is half Haitian.
She has lived and trained in the USA since she was 3. She's also a US citizen.

Users who are viewing this thread