Tell me why I’m wrong - vaccinate the vulnerable then let it rip (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

Sorry just to be clear - you think that people prefer lockdown to normal life
Sure there's people that like working from home and don't think they'll get that option when 'normal' returns, although no reason they shouldn't be allowed to at least split time between home and the office. Apart from that struggling to think of anything that could be seen as a positive that would mean people prefer being in lockdown.

robbiekeane

Sure there's people that like working from home and don't think they'll get that option when 'normal' returns, although no reason they shouldn't be allowed to at least split time between home and the office. Apart from that struggling to think of anything that could be seen as a positive that would mean people prefer being in lockdown.
I would be one of those people who prefer the remote working and location flexibility mate. But definitely wouldn’t want lockdown to continue and this dire situation carrying on!

skyblue1991

That will be the one thing that will continue post-pandemic.

The nation has proven WFH is effective. It's not for everybody but I think a lot of people will enjoy the flexibility of 1 or 2 days in the office and the rest at home.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Sorry just to be clear - you think that people prefer lockdown to normal life

You must be extremely naïve if you think there aren't people who push further lockdown agenda's for various reasons, under the cover of 'yeah but you'll kill granny' or such other hard-to-argue-against rhetoric.

Whether that is because they are scared, or because they don't have lives of their own and like pulling others down to their level, or perhaps having been shut up for a while has sent them delirious, I'm not entirely sure. Those people exist though, and it wouldn't surprise me if come June they will spark up again, pushing for the goalposts to be moved once more.

robbiekeane

You must be extremely naïve if you think there aren't people who push further lockdown agenda's for various reasons, under the cover of 'yeah but you'll kill granny' or such other hard-to-argue-against rhetoric.

Whether that is because they are scared, or because they don't have lives of their own and like pulling others down to their level, or perhaps having been shut up for a while has sent them delirious, I'm not entirely sure. Those people exist though, and it wouldn't surprise me if come June they will spark up again, pushing for the goalposts to be moved once more.
Honestly mate I think you might need some help.

clint van damme

There are definitely people who are scared f coming out of lockdown.
Add them to the people whose mental health has been adversely affected by being in lockdown and the people whose mental health has been affected by having covid, (which is now a recognised side affect), and it adds up to an absoiute nightmare with no one size fits all solution.
Bit everyone needs to be a bt considerate to other peoples positions.

skyblue1991

I don't understand anyone that wants lockdown to continue but I do understand there are potential social anxieties about the relaxation and also those that have enjoyed lockdown because they are naturally introverted.

People can stay locked down if needs be but I think it's fair to say most want the freedom of doing things again

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

There are people who are scared about things 'letting rip' while they haven't been vaccinated yet, which I think is understandable. I don't think it's down to jealousy over other people's lives though or 'not having their own lives'. We all want it over buddy

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That will be the one thing that will continue post-pandemic.

The nation has proven WFH is effective. It's not for everybody but I think a lot of people will enjoy the flexibility of 1 or 2 days in the office and the rest at home.

I hope so but I reckon there'll be a big push by govt to encourage office working. Not because it's the sensible thing to do but because their mates and donors are heavily invested in the property market. Or expect a massive 'incentive scheme' to convert or change them to accommodation space.

skyblue1991

I hope so but I reckon there'll be a big push by govt to encourage office working. Not because it's the sensible thing to do but because their mates and donors are heavily invested in the property market. Or expect a massive 'incentive scheme' to convert or change them to accommodation space.
I agree in London but for most other parts of the UK I'm not so sure.

Where I work I've heard the business pays something like £4m a year for the office lease that can hold up to 600 people across 3x floors. The average daily office use in the past 12 months has been about 15-20 people, so the buiness can easily downside to the ground floor which is where the reception, IT and catering facilities (if required) are and save at least £2m a year.

I can't see us rushing back, nor do we want to either. I have spoken to some of my colleagues who hate WFH, when I say that the office has never closed throughout the pandemic and there is nothing stopping you working 5x days a week they have second thoughts! The lease ends in a couple of years so would be interesting to see what happens after.

Last edited:

Grendel

Utter nonsense

shmmeee

COU from office to residential is pretty straight forward. Well just get loads of shit flats.

RegTheDonk

Seem to recall Boris was encouraging people to get back to work if they can after the first lockdown?

He also said something about by this autumn, everyone would have been offered the vaccine - I assume this means all ages. Once we're at this stage and everyone who wants a jab has been jabbed, I don't think anything more can be done so it should be back to business as usual.

wingy

Seem to recall Boris was encouraging people to get back to work if they can after the first lockdown?

He also said something about by this autumn, everyone would have been offered the vaccine - I assume this means all ages. Once we're at this stage and everyone who wants a jab has been jabbed, I don't think anything more can be done so it should be back to business as usual.
Other than lifestyle, economic (personal, business), environmental good to go.
Leaseholders and tertiary economy,different story.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

There was definitely some workforces who tried to get a bit pushy about people going back to the office. As I said at the time, the company I worked for did so, had an outbreak, then covered it up. The second wave in the early autumn was really bad.

Oh, and Sunday Times posted a survey today. Thought it was interesting. Not aimed at anyone, just trying to explain that there are some people who think like this.

Screenshot_20210411-170216_Twitter.jpg

Skybluefaz

Rishi already began beating the back to work drum.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

COU from office to residential is pretty straight forward. Well just get loads of shit flats.

That will probably be the case.

But I guess shit flats in a sector massively undersupplied would be something. Need to address that to try and bring the costs down. Rather that than a lot of office space that the pandemic has shown isn't really necessary anymore.

Kneeza

Seems to affect people differently, unsurprisingly.
My younger daughter absolutely loves home working and is dreading the thought of having to go back to the office. The older one hated home working and decided to go back to the office after only a couple of days (she can do it safely as she's the only 'staff' in, but next door to the small workshop/factory where the real work is done).
I'd have loved it (retired years ago though) but I reckon I'd have been sacked within six months as I'd have done fuck-all work.
Horses for courses.

Users who are viewing this thread