Televising Games in the championship (1 Viewer)

skybluesam66

So
1. All midweek games are already televised live . There will be more of these this year, due to the shortened calendar
2. A selection of weekend games will also be shown live

so maybe a third of all of our games will be on sky

Wondering how this will work alongside Ifollow and the ability to sell passes and generate income from these games

Even with a pass I would prefer to watch sky for the picture quality and stability

The season passes would need to be priced at an attractive enough rate for people to buy, but still generate the revenue
If it included home and away games - £300 is i guess around the area they would pitch, as this is then easily convertible into season ticket prices

wingy

I don't have Sky and still won't be .
I have been wondering though if Some Channel would be picking up the televising of the Championship .
Like ITV tried but better ?

the rumpo kid

What ever they priced ifollow at it still couldn't compete with the money sky pay for showing a game, one game would be worth more than everyones subscription to ifollow for the whole season , probably.

chiefdave

Presumably this is via a new TV deal which needs to be put out for bidding?
Wasn’t last season the first of a 5 year deal? There was talk when things ground to a halt that the EFL approached Sky to change the deal to allow all games on ifollow but nothing more was said so presumably Sky said no. Not A surprise given how much they’ve paid for rights.

wingy

What ever they priced ifollow at it still couldn't compete with the money sky pay for showing a game, one game would be worth more than everyones subscription to ifollow for the whole season , probably.
You'd need to take into account an average dispersal among the league against an individual club's ability to generate I think .
It would be dependent on the general football audiences take up from Sky .
So would Sky dispense more to this league regardless or combine and reduce it's outlay to the Prem

I'd be a fan of that!!👏

pipkin73

Sky don't show all midweek games live in the Championship, only weeks with Champions League games. The rest of the time it's ifollow or clubs own tv channel.

Garryb80

Sky don't show all midweek games live in the Championship, only weeks with Champions League games. The rest of the time it's ifollow or clubs own tv channel.
As far as I'm aware all midweek games are shown regardless of when they are. Most on the red button.

Garryb80

This is not correct. Even when they restarted after the coronvirus close down sky only showed 1 game on mo -fri each night. That's why they staggered the games. I do sport advertising for a living.
Because of the situation yes. Normally all midweek games are shown on sky where there is a full midweek fixture list. Easy to check on Google. I don't work in sports advertising and managed to find that out.

pipkin73

Because of the situation yes. Normally all midweek games are shown on sky where there is a full midweek fixture list. Easy to check on Google. I don't work in sports advertising and managed to find that out.
It was only on weeks that the champions league was on.

pipkin73

This is the part of the deal you are on about

The agreement includes:

• More matches, up to 183 exclusive live games per season

• Further 80 midweek Sky Bet Championship games across interactive and digital platforms

• 15 live matches from the Carabao Cup, including both semi-finals and the Wembley final

• Rights to offer live coverage across a range of Sky platforms, including online and on mobile

These are the games they show during Champions League weeks.

link here:

Garryb80

This is the part of the deal you are on about

The agreement includes:

• More matches, up to 183 exclusive live games per season

• Further 80 midweek Sky Bet Championship games across interactive and digital platforms

• 15 live matches from the Carabao Cup, including both semi-finals and the Wembley final

• Rights to offer live coverage across a range of Sky platforms, including online and on mobile

These are the games they show during Champions League weeks.

link here:
How come then I watched several midweek championship games on sky outside of a CL week then?

As per an article I found:
Good news for couch potatoes, armchair fans and the folk who can't always make it across the country in time for a 7.45pm kick-off.

Sky Sports will continue to show Championship mid-week night matches via the red button service in 2019/20.

That is on top of 138 EFL matches Sky will broadcast live this season, including Stoke's trip to Preston in August.

There are no champions league games in August So your argument is incorrect.

skybluesam66

The rules are :-

games on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening in the Championship when there has been a full fixture list have been made available to watch live on Sky Sports via the red button.

This was suspended for the BCD games, probably as the fixtures were not as scheduled, and maybe other factors eg Covid precautions

Garryb80

The rules are :-

games on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening in the Championship when there has been a full fixture list have been made available to watch live on Sky Sports via the red button.

This was suspended for the BCD games, probably as the fixtures were not as scheduled, and maybe other factors eg Covid precautions
Pipkin will no doubt tell us again we are wrong due to his job

skyblue1991

I think I read somewhere that Sky Sports and EFL have struck a deal to televise all EFL games this season?

mrtrench

I'm hanging on to see what happens before committing to Sky. Sky are advertising that they are televising the QPR game - so I suspect that it isn't true that they are showing all - otherwise why mention QPR specifically?

mr_monkey

I'm hanging on to see what happens before committing to Sky. Sky are advertising that they are televising the QPR game - so I suspect that it isn't true that they are showing all - otherwise why mention QPR specifically?

They aren't showing all, just providing ifollow with their footage for better quality, more camera angles etc I think that is where the confusion has come

They will carry on showing the odd game like the qpr one and possibly all midweek games via the red button (as they did last season) but I can't find any confirmation of that for this season anywhere

Users who are viewing this thread