Swindon under transfer embago (1 Viewer)

Astute

Manager Paolo Di Canio has revealed Swindon are under a transfer embargo.
The Italian told BBC Wiltshire after Saturday's 1-0 win over Bury the embargo had been sanctioned because they had overspent on wages and fees.
Financial Fair Play rules state League One clubs must limit their wage and fee bill to 65% of their turnover.
They exceeded this restriction after a tribunal demanded they pay a combined fee of £340,000 for James Collins and Troy Archibald-Henville.

Striker Collins arrived from Shrewsbury in the summer while defender Archibald-Henville signed from Exeter, but Swindon were not expecting to have to pay the settlement immediately.
Chairman Jeremy Wray explained: "If they had been straight-forward transfers then half of it would have been payable this year and the other half would have been payable in 12-months' time.
"As a result of the tribunal the whole amount is due now, so it's reflected in our wage cap and it takes us around 1.5% over the threshold.
"If it was during the transfer window we could sell players but we can't. The board now need to work out how we deal with this."
“ I don't think it's a situation where fans need to be panicked”
Swindon chairman Jeremy Wray

Di Canio says he has been left frustrated by the embargo as he feels it will hinder their ambition of securing back-to-back promotions.
"I hope in the future we have a different situation otherwise things will be very difficult," he said.
"I remain the same Paolo Di Canio; the chairman remains exactly the same. We all want to push to go up.
"But when you get two or three injuries it's very difficult.
"I worry that the plan I had 16 months ago has changed. If we want the team to go up we have to cancel the embargo."
Despite Di Canio's concerns, Wray insisted: "I don't think it's a situation where fans need to be panicked.
"We all know how honest Paolo likes to be. Andy Williams has been added to his injury list and he's looking around thinking if he wants to succeed at this level he'll need reinforcements.
"Rest assured this isn't a situation where he is getting annoyed or upset with the board."

Is this why we need to get rid of players we have? Sounds like it could be one in one out if Robins needs to carry on building a squad and team.

Lord_Nampil

Maybe the James Collins transfer was not down to is missing out on him but maybe more we couldn't afford him and didn't want to go into an embargo over it?? Maybe Collins decision was taken out of his hands when I am guessing we realised we couldn't afford the compensation!!!

Astute

And that is why it was said we can't afford to sign McGoldrick permanently.

Lord_Nampil

And that is why it was said we can't afford to sign McGoldrick permanently.

McGoldrick has been told he can leave forest his contract is up at the end of the season! I dont think a fee would be too high BUT as Forest have money now, they prob wont try and cash in so i can see his loan being extended! But will see we dont no what will happen in the coming months?? We might sell players to fund it!

Astute

I'm pretty certain if we are flying come january then Goldie will be staying put

It isn't as easy as that. If we go on a good run and the fans come back we might be able to afford to sign him permanently. Or if we unload a few players. Or both. We have a big squad. Must be close to the 65% now.

stupot07

Maybe the James Collins transfer was not down to is missing out on him but maybe more we couldn't afford him and didn't want to go into an embargo over it?? Maybe Collins decision was taken out of his hands when I am guessing we realised we couldn't afford the compensation!!!

I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

stupot07

McGoldrick has been told he can leave forest his contract is up at the end of the season! I dont think a fee would be too high BUT as Forest have money now, they prob wont try and cash in so i can see his loan being extended! But will see we dont no what will happen in the coming months?? We might sell players to fund it!

Forest will want about £500k for him given how much they paid for him and his wages.

Lord_Nampil

I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

who knows??? But its interesting that Swindon gambled and yes at the start of the season it may pay off but come january wen we can reinforce and they cant it might be a gamble Waggott thought wasnt worth taking! As i said who knows, its just interesting what has happened because of the transfer!

stupot07

who knows??? But its interesting that Swindon gambled and yes at the start of the season it may pay off but come january wen we can reinforce and they cant it might be a gamble Waggott thought wasnt worth taking! As i said who knows, its just interesting what has happened because of the transfer!

I very much doubt it though, and the reason I come to that conclusion is because we missed out on a lot of players including ones we wouldn't have payed compensation for (e.g Syers at Doncaster) because of the embargo. While we were in the embargo Preston signed 12 players, etc.

CODY!!!

It would be very bad is McGoldrick didnt have his loan extended and he then went back out on loan to Walsall or someone =[

Users who are viewing this thread