Sunderland Documentary (1 Viewer)

Legia Sky Blue

Just watched documentary on Netflix about Sunderland's relegation last season from the Championship. I found it quite fascinating, but one of the biggest things that striked me, which shone through was the fragile confidence of professional footballers, even experienced ones, and the negative impact a baying crowd has on the teams performance. I remember reading our 'Staying Up' book and reading the same then, when particularly John Salako, who was an England international lets not forget, was badly affected by the stick he was receiving. To that end I really wish some of our fans would realise how counter productive it is when we shout & scream at our players (particularly the young ones) when they make mistakes, which then has the negative knock on effect of getting them to then take the safe option, rather than the brave one which is usually needed to win games. For flair players like Bayliss this is even more crucial, as he has to be encouraged to take chances, and not be fazed by those occasions when he will inevitably make the wrong decision or lose possession.

The other thing that shone through for me is how fooball is littered with useless Tim Fisher style Chief Execs. Sunderland had heir own, who had obviously been party to the club's fall and in selecting, then sacking a number of managers, who always got the blame for the club's failings, when actually he himself was the common denominator. I never really understand what qualifies these guys for such a well paid and crucial role in any football club.

hill83

Knowing how a few of their supporters feel about us made it delicious viewing. Thought the chairman was naive thinking Rodwell would cancel his contract. I’m sure the chairman himself forgets about money owed to him all the time.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Knowing how a few of their supporters feel about us made it delicious viewing. Thought the chairman was naive thinking Rodwell would cancel his contract. I’m sure the chairman himself forgets about money owed to him all the time.
I watched this last week, I thought it was fascinating , I think they are doing a follow up one this season

D

Deleted member 4232

Personally, I thought the chairman came across quite well. There was and is still a lot of bad back-water still at SAFC and he had a job on his hands to clear that.

They overhauled the entire structure of the club; instead of paying for big contracts, they started to rely on their academy a bit more - this was the catalyst to the relegation.

I found the Rodwell story very interesting, but who can blame the kid for wanting to see out that contract? Anyone would.

Chris Coleman also came across very well; I wasn't around here in the UK during his city days, but would be interested in hearing what he was like here?

hill83

I watched this last week, I thought it was fascinating , I think they are doing a follow up one this season

I preferred the amazon ones. I think this Sunderland one was fan made rather than independently and they weren’t allowed access to the changing rooms etc.

Nick

Administrator
I preferred the amazon ones. I think this Sunderland one was fan made rather than independently and they weren’t allowed access to the changing rooms etc.
Are there others or just the man city one?

Greggs

The American football ones. There’s a juventus one on Netflix too that’s good.
Agreed mate, loved the American football shows, not so much the Man City one. For some reason the yanks seem a lot more approachable and better with press etc, our footballers are a lot more guarded! Last Chance U on Netflix also a brilliant watch!

JulianDarbyFTW

I found it interesting how Grayson was told he had to have 5 (iirc) under 25s in the team to ensure some resale value. The manager being dictated to in that way cannot help the team perform. I couldn't help but wonder if some of our recent managers were given similar direction.

Brighton Sky Blue

Did surprise me how they didn't even consider fielding Rodwell when relegation was becoming a major threat or to put him in the shop window.

HerneBayGaz

Good documentary, Had me chuckling a few times.

Surprised they never blamed Jimmy Hill for their relegation.

Must say though very impressive gate boxing day.

D

Deleted member 4232

Agreed mate, loved the American football shows, not so much the Man City one. For some reason the yanks seem a lot more approachable and better with press etc, our footballers are a lot more guarded! Last Chance U on Netflix also a brilliant watch!
Might give that last chance U a go this afternoon!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
There is one on iPlayer about West ham ladies as well. Just shows the owners son try and run them with his dad's money

D

Deleted member 2477

Just watched documentary on Netflix about Sunderland's relegation last season from the Championship. I found it quite fascinating, but one of the biggest things that striked me, which shone through was the fragile confidence of professional footballers, even experienced ones, and the negative impact a baying crowd has on the teams performance. I remember reading our 'Staying Up' book and reading the same then, when particularly John Salako, who was an England international lets not forget, was badly affected by the stick he was receiving. To that end I really wish some of our fans would realise how counter productive it is when we shout & scream at our players (particularly the young ones) when they make mistakes, which then has the negative knock on effect of getting them to then take the safe option, rather than the brave one which is usually needed to win games. For flair players like Bayliss this is even more crucial, as he has to be encouraged to take chances, and not be fazed by those occasions when he will inevitably make the wrong decision or lose possession.

The other thing that shone through for me is how fooball is littered with useless Tim Fisher style Chief Execs. Sunderland had heir own, who had obviously been party to the club's fall and in selecting, then sacking a number of managers, who always got the blame for the club's failings, when actually he himself was the common denominator. I never really understand what qualifies these guys for such a well paid and crucial role in any football club.

Unfortunately we as a club and fan base have more than our fair share of people who love nothing more than to single out players for abuse and knock the team and manager as soon as things go wrong.

Might explain why we have never been a consistent club given our so called fans

Adge

Coleman really did get a bum deal when he was expected to keep them up. Not sure Ferguson or Wenger would have kept them up at the time with all the crap going on behind the scenes.
Think the fans were right to have a go aswell to a degree as there were players who clearly didn’t give a toss-same as us when we went down to L2.

Nick

Administrator
Coleman really did get a bum deal when he was expected to keep them up. Not sure Ferguson or Wenger would have kept them up at the time with all the crap going on behind the scenes.
Think the fans were right to have a go aswell to a degree as there were players who clearly didn’t give a toss-same as us when we went down to L2.

At least the academy ones did us proud!

giphy.gif

skybluepm2

Crazy state of affairs after the manager pulled the plug, particularly in January when they were left with no senior strikers. Great to see behind the scenes at the 11th hour on deadline day. Enjoyable watch, particularly as it was a documentary focussed on decline rather than success which I doubt was ever their intention when they were relegated from the Premier League. Found it remarkable that Grabban just up and left after banging in 14 for them before Christmas. Celebrating at the Stadium of Light when he returned with Forest too, the utter bastard

D

Deleted member 4232

Crazy state of affairs after the manager pulled the plug, particularly in January when they were left with no senior strikers. Great to see behind the scenes at the 11th hour on deadline day. Enjoyable watch, particularly as it was a documentary focussed on decline rather than success which I doubt was ever their intention when they were relegated from the Premier League. Found it remarkable that Grabban just up and left after banging in 14 for them before Christmas. Celebrating at the Stadium of Light when he returned with Forest too, the utter bastard
Goes to show that it's more than form and goals that keep players happy at clubs. Makes me wonder about McGoldrick, Clarke etc

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Adge

I’d do exactly the same. Ha ha.
Poor little football fans. The nasty man cupped his ear daddy.

Think he returned with Villa.
Yeah, someone was on about that after the Luton/Walsall games. Leahey and Collins who are Cov fans (apparently) shouldn’t have celebrated when they scored. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

sylus

Unfortunately we as a club and fan base have more than our fair share of people who love nothing more than to single out players for abuse and knock the team and manager as soon as things go wrong.

Might explain why we have never been a consistent club given our so called fans

So it is the fans fault for our club not being consistent enough, because they might yell abuse or you could say show a bit of passion towards the players and staff , which i might add you will see at any football match from grassroots to Professional you take that out of the game then whats the point,it has always been there and always will,its a mans game.man up

mark82

So it is the fans fault for our club not being consistent enough, because they might yell abuse or you could say show a bit of passion towards the players and staff , which i might add you will see at any football match from grassroots to Professional you take that out of the game then whats the point,it has always been there and always will,its a mans game.man up

I'm not entirely sure how yelling abuse at the players, most of whom are pretty much kids with little life experience, will help them perform better. How would you react if I brought a few thousand people with me to your workplace to yell at you about how shit you are at your job? Do you think that would improve your performance?

Reactions: vow

Garryb80

I'm not entirely sure how yelling abuse at the players, most of whom are pretty much kids with little life experience, will help them perform better. How would you react if I brought a few thousand people with me to your workplace to yell at you about how shit you are at your job? Do you think that would improve your performance?
Customers often ring to complain about the job people do. Its life. If someone is shit at their job customers will tell them. Being a young footballer makes zero difference

Users who are viewing this thread