Sunday night drinkypoos (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

8 bottles of peroni in the fridge and second series of Dexter to watch
Much love to you all

Pipehitterz

On my 8th kronenbourg
Damn tesco and their 36 cans for 20 quid.
Monday is a short day for me so enjoying my sunday big time

Terry Gibson's perm

Drinking a can of Sprite Zero while watching Barcelona, cooking my tea and folding some clothes what a man:cool:

Johnnythespider

Since introducing drug and alcohol testing at work Monday morning has seen 3 lads and 1 lady lose their jobs. Nothing more than a glass of red with Sunday lunch for me now.

Ian1779

Not on a school night - hangover and stroppy teenagers is a toxic mix.

Otis

I'm on my second hot chocolate. Annoyingly I have to keep pausing the Antiques Roadshow every time the microwave beeps.

covmark

Couple of Coronas before bed and a house move tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Daz

Back on nights tomorrow
So I'm having a good few tonight

Sky_Blue_Daz

Just a normal job in a factory NW, it's supposed to be random testing but they have an incredible strike rate. All part of health and safety.
Christ
I used to work in a college if they did something like that there our entire department would have been wiped out

chiefdave

Since introducing drug and alcohol testing at work Monday morning has seen 3 lads and 1 lady lose their jobs. Nothing more than a glass of red with Sunday lunch for me now.

I get the drugs bit but are they saying you can't drink at the weekend or that you can't turn up pissed?

Sky_Blue_Daz

I turned up to work so pissed from the night before I couldn't remember where I parked
Not proud of the fact I drove to work either to be honest

Johnnythespider

I get the drugs bit but are they saying you can't drink at the weekend or that you can't turn up pissed?
Can't turn up pissed or over the limit. So you could drink on a Sunday but at least 2 have been tested after supervisors have smelt it on them

chiefdave

Can't turn up pissed or over the limit. So you could drink on a Sunday but at least 2 have been tested after supervisors have smelt it on them

Did they just get the sack straight away? They would win an unfair dismissal case if they did. You can't sack someone even if they turn up pissed, you have to try and help them stop drinking and follow an established disciplinary procedure.

You also can't introduce testing unless the employees agree to it. And even then unless its for safety reasons (e.g. train drivers) theres restrictions on when you can test. Essentially the test has to be for a reasonable reason which is usually interpreted as the employer having reason to believe their is an issue.

Johnnythespider

Did they just get the sack straight away? They would win an unfair dismissal case if they did. You can't sack someone even if they turn up pissed, you have to try and help them stop drinking and follow an established disciplinary procedure.

You also can't introduce testing unless the employees agree to it. And even then unless its for safety reasons (e.g. train drivers) theres restrictions on when you can test. Essentially the test has to be for a reasonable reason which is usually interpreted as the employer having reason to believe their is an issue.
They get suspended first, the tests are carried out by an outside agency and I think have to go off for further scrutiny as the initial test is just an indicator.

Covstu

You cannot target specific individuals based on 'suspicion' but you can randomly check people i.e. there are 40 people so we will pick 20 names to check. Of course, best practice would suggest you give them an appropriate warning and check whether there is an underlying issue i.e. alcohol dependency. Roles that you need to drive or operate machinery can be taken into account relating to gross misconduct as it is putting people at further risk.

There would obviously need to be suspended following the outcome and a disciplinary investigation to take place...

chiefdave

But even if you're doing random testing, which would require employees agreement, a failed test doesn't allow you to dismiss someone unless you can prove it is a safety issue or they are unable to perform their duties.

Johnnythespider

You cannot target specific individuals based on 'suspicion' but you can randomly check people i.e. there are 40 people so we will pick 20 names to check. Of course, best practice would suggest you give them an appropriate warning and check whether there is an underlying issue i.e. alcohol dependency. Roles that you need to drive or operate machinery can be taken into account relating to gross misconduct as it is putting people at further risk.

There would obviously need to be suspended following the outcome and a disciplinary investigation to take place...
We were given an opportunity to own up to any "issues" before the policy was introduced and told that the company would support anyone that did. As I said earlier testing is supposed to be random but they have a knack of testing people who test positive, at least 2 have been tested after supervisors have smelt alcohol on their breath. I should say that there is a lot of traffic movement inside the building whether that be fork lifts or the machinery that is produced. I wasn't aware though that you had to agree to be tested and wonder if not speaking out when the policy was introduced could be seen as such.

chiefdave

Don't know if the rules have changed but it used to be that it had to be in your contract of employment so existing staff would need to agree to a new contract. You also had to give permission for every taste although refusing to take a test could be a disciplinary matter.

Are you in a union? Might be worth having a word with them if you are.

Johnnythespider

Don't know if the rules have changed but it used to be that it had to be in your contract of employment so existing staff would need to agree to a new contract. You also had to give permission for every taste although refusing to take a test could be a disciplinary matter.

Are you in a union? Might be worth having a word with them if you are.
I'm in Unite. I would have thought they would have picked up on it, certainly haven't agreed to a new contract. I will check with the Rep

Users who are viewing this thread