Sunday morning... (1 Viewer)

bishbosh

So I have finally woken up to the result I have been dreading: the one that condemed us to League 1; not that I wasn't expecting it but hope springs eternal.

I doubt it'll be such a big effect to me compared to those of you who get to games every week and especially those who make the away trips too. I am disappointed, angry and sad. It is especially dejecting in that we went without a fight in some respects. My access to highlights this season has shown us as creating chances but unable to finish them - but I accept that highlights can be made to show anything, I have to wait at least 24 hours before I see the Donny defeat.

In the 30+ years I've followed Coventry I have had the enjoyment of top flight football, FA Cup win and all the ups and downs since then. I really enjoyed my times at Highfield road, I have yet to see the team play at the Ricoh.

For me the huge dissapointments have been the 'must win games' that have fallen to defeat. Forest is the one that sticks in my head - the inablilty to beat a team on a very poor run and also the fact that it was the catalyst for Forest that pulled them up the league; the games over the Easter period were, in hindsight, the nails in the coffin. Why were the players not up for these of all the games? I have read a lot on this forum about players not playing - this is a motivational issue: surely that is down to the coaching/management team to give the players the boost - I am sure it is extremely hard to get out of a losing mentality but teams such as Forest and Bristol did it possible because they had the management that believed that their players could better our players on the day.

SISU: I think everything that needs to be said has been - just go away. Yes they saved us at the eleventh hour but was it really worth it? Did it just hold off the inevitable until this season?

What now? We need to accept that some players will leave, but we could well have a spine for the future in our academy players who were thrown, unfairly, into a losing fight. Will SISU let us keep them or will we have to look to the lower leagues for players, leaving us sort of quality again and a team punching above its weight in L1 (How depressing is that thought). When teams like Norwich, Southampton and Charlton went down I thought that they would be able to get back - I'm not so sure about us, I feel we could be more like Leeds, Bradford or Swindon - down for a long time as our owners and finances are very unhealthy for the club.

While I am a very long way away I'll still be backing Coventry City next season - I'll subscribe to Sky Blues Player, check the results as soon as I can and believing that we'll be back again (hopefully in my lifetime).

In December my wife and I had a son - the poor boy is being dressed in Sky Blue and shown goals we have scored since he's been born. While I am sure he has no clue what is going on in terms of Coventry and probably wonders what I am going on about he is going to inherit his dads team and everything that goes with it.

PUSB and give us something to shout about at Southampton.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread