Sunday football (1 Viewer)

Bennosdancingfeet

Going to miss my Sunday morning fix yet again tomorrow due to weather. Just wondering how many on here are involved and affiliated to which club.

A Sunday banter thread could work

Hadji10

Don't play anymore. Poplar athletic from Bedworyh by far the best side around Coventry/Nuneaton and Bedworth.

malkitccfc

Played Chapelfield Colts in the junior leagues about a decade ago for Leam Hibs and for some reason it was on a Friday night. About 150 people turned up. I played the best game of my life!

Nick

Administrator
Saw a few games this season, they have all been a bit soft. No bad tackles, apologising and too busy doing their hair trying to act like they are pros.

Not a single can of beer, not a single good shout or insult, very tame.

A few years ago the whole team would pile in after a bad tackle, they were all over apologising.

Astute

Saw a few games this season, they have all been a bit soft. No bad tackles, apologising and too busy doing their hair trying to act like they are pros.

Not a single can of beer, not a single good shout or insult, very tame.

A few years ago the whole team would pile in after a bad tackle, they were all over apologising.

Just how I remember it :D

I remember my only red card. There was a few of us that joined a low down side. We were winning easily most games although a lot of the time we were leaving the night clubs then going on a session. Then straight to the game without sleep. I was sitting against the post with a spliff in One hand and a tinnie in the other. The ball was at the other end of the pitch. The ref blew his whistle. He then ran over to me and sent me off :( He said you wasn't allowed to smoke or drink beer. I argued with him and asked him what rule it came under. He couldn't answer me but still sent me off. My team mates just pissed themselves laughing.

A lot of the tackles were wild. If you only got a couple of bruises it was as though they took it easy on you. There were no dives as all the flying in the air was for real :) Then after the game a lot of the time you would shake hands then go for a beer. Much better than the sterile game we have these days.

Adge

As a referee I feel sorry for a lot of teams who play Sunday football like we all do or have done in the past. In the lower divisions it's mostly made up of 90% mates teams who enjoy but are useless at football and 10% arseholes who want to break peoples legs and fight the world. Used to do the Cov and Warks central league and Leamington Sunday leagues but wouldn't touch them now with a barge pole. People then wonder why there are no referees to do their game on a Sunday as per the above post.

skybluepm2

Lay off Chaps hey boys? I was player manager of the men's team up until 2 seasons ago when I packed it in. We eventually broke away from the club and ran it ourselves because they were a pain in the Arse. We went from youth straight to men's football. Started from the very bottom and worked our way up. Some lovely blokes down at that level. Still have a slight scar from a rib high tackle that came in on me. I do miss it.

Skyblueweeman

I went for a ride today on my road bike. First ride in about 6 months but managed 40km. Head winds, flooded roads and bad hail storm all encountered....so cold when I got in. Reminded me of Sunday football when I was slightly smaller than I am now. Miss playing footy but simply don't have time for training. And don't miss playing with hangovers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stupot07

What's the Sunday league standard like in Cov?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Adge

Shit! Traditionally, Saturday is football day and thats where/when the best players are playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Sky Blue Harry H

Played in the Leamington Sunday league for donkeys years (actually like a donkey!) and Saturday stuff for Warks County Council in the Cov & Warks league. Remember playing a Saturday side at Stockingford (?) who were beating us 1-0 when I fluked a Ronaldo type pass with a backheel (well that's how I remember it!) that found our Centre forward for the equaliser. My team mobbed me, but several Stockingford players called me every name under the sun and squaring up to me as if I'd just hacked down one of their players! Happy days:D

FourKingGreat

Lay off Chaps hey boys? I was player manager of the men's team up until 2 seasons ago when I packed it in. We eventually broke away from the club and ran it ourselves because they were a pain in the Arse. We went from youth straight to men's football. Started from the very bottom and worked our way up. Some lovely blokes down at that level. Still have a slight scar from a rib high tackle that came in on me. I do miss it.

SkybluePm,

i think you would find chaps a different club now. . Our last lot of youth players , some went onto play for Canley I believe doing quite well.

oscillatewildly

I never had a problem acknowledging my (limited) ability on the pitch and always said I'd carry on playing until I stopped enjoying it, and that was the reason (Well, that and a reoccurring knee problem.) Too many sock cookers turning up on a Sunday morning, not just pissed up but drugged up too.
Big mention should go to all the refs (of varying ability!) who at times took all sorts of crap from aforementioned super stars. Coundon Hall park could at times be a lonely place I'm sure, with no cameras or big crowds to witness the degree of threatening behaviour and on occasion assaults that would sometimes come their way.

procdoc

I'm secretary of Bedworth Liberal FC in the Nuneaton & District Sunday League. We have 3 teams, I used to manage the thirds until this season

procdoc

Some good sides in Cov but nowhere near the standard it used to be. The premier division in the Nuneaton & District Sunday League is a good level. My team have a couple of lads that play semi pro football on a Saturday.

Adge

I never had a problem acknowledging my (limited) ability on the pitch and always said I'd carry on playing until I stopped enjoying it, and that was the reason (Well, that and a reoccurring knee problem.) Too many sock cookers turning up on a Sunday morning, not just pissed up but drugged up too.
Big mention should go to all the refs (of varying ability!) who at times took all sorts of crap from aforementioned super stars. Coundon Hall park could at times be a lonely place I'm sure, with no cameras or big crowds to witness the degree of threatening behaviour and on occasion assaults that would sometimes come their way.

Here here!

Users who are viewing this thread