Summation everyone...how different did we all see it? (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

Think we shot ourselves in the foot within 10 minutes. Some nice footwork but no real bite. We had crosses plenty of time from Bell but no one attacked it sufficiently. Cody will get his goal and unlucky to have not one but two cleared off the line.
I thought the substitute Macca for Bigi got us nowhere and thought the 'impact' of that never happened. What did happen was the excellent hard working Clingan had no outlet as he and Biggi have had a very good understanding so far.
Baker was poor and I look forward to seeing Macca in from the start in that 'hole' and Bigi back in.
I have said before the middle of defence is shaky and when Cameron came on it made a much stronger difference.
I think Ipswich flattered to deceive a little and we had plenty of the ball but did we get at um? No not really. Disappointing that but not disheartened.
No doubt everything will be about SISU and that would be unfair. What went on over 90 minutes is what it's all about and we still have some work to do. Couple of changes here and there and a loanee in midfield that can use and attack the ball will make all the difference.
We were the fall guys on a good night for the home side tonight.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Some of the football that Ipswich played in that game was brilliant at times. That was the vision I had for us when AT took over, instead we get side to side/hoof or cross. We just don't have the players to play the way Thorn wants us to at this moment in time. I think the only city players to get into that Ipswich side would be Keogh and possibly Juke, there midfield oozed quality whilst ours lacked.

Murphy-6- Didn't really have much chance with any of the goals
Christie-5- Didn't get anywhere near the standards of last couple of weeks
Keogh-6- Did ok but didn't look like that commanding centre half we have seen since the start of the season.
Cranie-5- Was very poor, capped off by an OG
Hussey-5- Crossing awful.
Clingan-7- Wasn't controlling the midfield but that was more down to being up against Andrews/Bullard/Bowyer. Put in some world class set pieces and was the only player with a bit of quality
Gael-5- Poorest game I have seen from him this season
Bell-6- Played ok, put in some decent crosses
Baker-5- Very poor, didn't beat his man once all game
Juke-6- Battled well didn't really get a sniff of goal though
Mcdonald-6- Got in some good positions but should have had at least one

Mcsheffery-5- Didn't really get in the game much, we seemed to go a bit more direct second half so he was bypassed.

In short they have better players than us.

Macca

I've given up technical analysis. I thought we were dog shit.

We ve gradually got worse and worse over the years so that even when we are thoroughly outplayed we still see positives.

I usually have a silver lining on my clouds but have a real relegation feeling this year, like our luck has run out. Our first team isn't good enough, throw in some injuries and I dread to think.

Still back on Saturday for more punishment. No pleasure from it anymore but you have to stick with it don't you?

TheHellion

My view is this. We didn't start the game until we were already 2-0 down. By that point, it was already too much to ask. We created chances, but we didn't score them. Our defence was ripped apart time and again by their attacking players. Cranie had, from my point of view, the worst game I can recall seeing from him. He looked totally out of it. Maybe he's had worse games, but he's certainly had better. Our whole team took too long to respond to Ipswich. Players of the quality of Bowyer, Bullard, Chopra cannot be given that much time on the ball, because they'll shred you time and time again as they did tonight. We couldn't defend set pieces. Did Ipswich play a blinder? No. Did they need to? Not by a mile. I do think Cody looks like a promising talent. He stood out a mile in our attack today as our goal threat. He has not had much in the way of game time at Norwich, and I think he'll get there. But he'll need help from those around him, he can't score every goal himself this season. In all honesty, I think Ipswich showed us how to score goals tonight.

You're right CCFC. We needed a good start. As soon as you let a team with their quality into it there will only be one winner. We seem to have a terrific knack of letting teams get their form back.

Macca

Cody was the one bright spark for me. In the right places, think he might be the real deal

speedie87

agreed macca..........one of the most overlooked aspects of being a striker is being in the right place.

lost count of how many games morrison and eastwood had for us where you came away stuggling to remember them getting a chance.

torchomatic

Rubbish first half. A lot better in the second. Hopefully Cody can start knocking them in.

AngryAnt

Missed most of the first half due to work. Rushed out to get a signal on my phone to check the BBC website and wished i hadn't been so quick out of the building.
From what i saw (40mins +) we never really got going. I'm not sure if it was more of a case that Ipswich just clicked finally and had an understanding, or if we were just really poor, most likely it was somewhere in between.
Cody missed his chance with the header cleared off the line, after that moment we'd all given up on the game (at home that is, still watched but expected to lose).
Fair play to Ipswich, mind it sounds like they've spent alot of money with half those players in their team. As for us, bit lost as to where we're going to go from here, we were pretty poor and bakers injury just capped it.

Chipfat

Ipswich lost 5 out of 6 conceded a bucketful of goals and have dont keep clean sheets this season.. until they play the mighty sky blues... We are a very poor side, with no depth no pace and no imagination. We also dont start well with no goals scored in the first 45 and very few goals scored at all. I Feel sorry for the kids as they have ability but not enough experience to play the whole season in a team with no confidence about them or a natural leader...

I have to admire any of our fans that think we can and will be ok this season,, me i think we could be down or as good as by christmas!!!!!!!!! sorry if i offend, just pissed off...

derbyskyblue

Ipswich lost 5 out of 6 conceded a bucketful of goals and have dont keep clean sheets this season.. until they play the mighty sky blues... We are a very poor side, with no depth no pace and no imagination. We also dont start well with no goals scored in the first 45 and very few goals scored at all. I Feel sorry for the kids as they have ability but not enough experience to play the whole season in a team with no confidence about them or a natural leader...

I have to admire any of our fans that think we can and will be ok this season,, me i think we could be down or as good as by christmas!!!!!!!!! sorry if i offend, just pissed off...
Nail on the head there chipfat.

Danceswithhorses

Men Vs Boys....literally
Ipswich had almost a whole 11 with 'premier' experience....we had half a team with next to no experience of ANY first team 'league' football.

Sutty

I was expecting 0 points, and we got 0 points.

Poor performance, but no disaster. Bad day at the office, but if we get 3 points on Saturday we'll all be talking play-offs again. :D

Wallace

CCFC were you at the game or was your assessment from the TV or radio? When you watch TV you are watching the ball but being there you can see the body language and off ball movement etc. Cody was good and so was Baker. If you were at the game sorry but don't play with other people's intelligence if you were watching Tv

Paxman II

Wallace you are all over this board tonight and I sense your anger and frustrations. You are right of course there is no substitute for being there to see the contributions from players from a broader perspective. But I would also say that watching the full game on TV also gives closer analysis of what is either going right or wrong during the play. So it swings both ways.

I agree with Andy Thorn - we never got at um and forced the game in any real respect of an encounter. He said they were all agreeing in the dressing room afterwards that "we are better than that". I think that's a reasonable way of saying the players themselves let everyone down on the night. I would agree with that whether you saw it on TV or in the stands....

bishbosh

The first half I thought that Ipswich were going to score with every attack which was quite un-nerving to watch.
The second half there were opportunities and a couple on any other day would have found the back of the net, I was not happy with Cody being substituted but there you go. It's a cliche but there were some positives but was any of that to do with Ipswich being 2 up and backing off a little?

Lord_Nampil

The golden rule of playing away from home was broken yesterday by letting the home team score near enough straight away! And worst of all it was an own goal that could have been avoided! As a result heads dropped and Ipswich punished us! We have been very tight at the bk this season something we didn't do last night ! I do think Cody is the kind of striker we have been looking for right place at the right time last night and had a somenvery good chances! He has only played 120 mins in 5 months!

Otis

It was men against boys and now our predicament looks so much worse.

As it stands now;

We have the same amount of points as the team sitting 2nd from bottom.

We have only scored 4 goals in 7 games.

Only one team has scored less goals than us.

We have only 1 win in 7 games.

We are 4th from bottom, just one place off the relegation places.

The emotional crutch of saying we haven't been thrashed by anyone is gone.

What a difference a day makes.

Last edited:

Il Pirata

Murphy 6 - made some decent saves
Christie 6 - should have been stronger on the third goal, crossing was hit and miss
Keogh 6 - didn't do a lot wrong
Cranie 5 - great header, still likes to stand and watch play too much
Hussey 4 - he can't defend, so when his crosses are all awful he brings nothing
Clingan 6 - tried to get the play going, has little help
Bigirimana 5 - barely touched the ball, if he's not involved in build up play his role is confusing
Bell 5 - well worth his 10 year contract extension, crossed it at least 3 times when the game was over at 3-0
Baker 5 - when the corner flag tackles you then it's a bad night, hope he's ok though
Jutkiewicz 6 - won most in the air from all the hoofs, we need to get him down the channels not playing like Dion Dublin
McDonald 5 - got into positions, and missed them all

McSheffrey 5 - doesn't look fit or interested

You can see why Ipswich are conceding a lot of goals (until we arrive), they didn't deal with a cross all game.

kg82

Ha ha, I literally am not surprised by some fans. All positive yesterday and one bad result means all frustrations are taken out by stating "we were woeful" or "on for relegation". Think what you like, course you can, but have some consistency.

My opinion, complete shit in the first half. We just didn't decide to show up until injury time kicked in. I really think a lot of that was down to Ipswich though. The way they worked when they didn't have the ball was fantastic. We managed to get into the game in the second half and it was pretty much us all then. Crap defending for the 3rd. Keogh left his man and let him run on, he followed the ball and that was a massive mistake. But all in all we were good second half. Unfortunately, every single chance we had were headed opportunities and they all fell to the smaller striker. The only thing I'd say is, technically, the first one that got cleared off the line was shit defending. Nobody would expect the man who was on the post to be 2 yards away from it. If the ball had gone in just inside the post it would have been highlighted he'd left it. As for the subs, I understood the Bigi for macca one and, considering we looked better after macca came on, I don't get how people are saying macca was crap. It obviously changed the game for us. The one that was a bit strange was ROD for McDonald. He was the only one that looked dangerous. But then we are working him up to match fitness and the game was beyond us by then. But please, people, don't go over the top. 3-0 sounds worse than it actually was. And if you look at the Ipswich team, it was pretty good.

Otis

Well this was what I was hinting at, kg82.

Last week Paxman put up a post asking how good we are doing. Well last week it was okay, this week it is shite. Far too early to pass judgment on how we are doing after only 7 games. Harsh reality is though that we are near the bottom of the table, have only won game and have only scored 4 goals.

Boy do we need Cody McDonald to come good and do so fast to boot!!

kg82

Well this was what I was hinting at, kg82.

Last week Paxman put up a post asking how good we are doing. Well last week it was okay, this week it is shite. Far too early to pass judgment on how we are doing after only 7 games. Harsh reality is though that we are near the bottom of the table, have only won game and have only scored 4 goals.

Boy do we need Cody McDonald to come good and do so fast to boot!!

Absolutely. He was out of luck last night though, do you not think? Considering he's the small man in the partnership every single chance he had was a header, which means his movement was pretty good. The one at the end of the first half was typical of how it went for him. A player that was defending the post was 2 yards in from the post - who the hell does that! But he got away with it. But he made that space for himself, and he kept doing that. In my opinion, McDonald looked quality last night and I'm really excited to see him next game because it's going to happen for him, definitely.

Tankie

Despite a good work ethic from the city youngsters, who's heads didn't drop for one minute, I thought it was a perfect illustration of "Boys sent out to do a mans job"

Ipswich were bristling with experience, and quality in all areas and I thought it showed, and made the difference between the two sides, after a bright start, the sky blues fell victim of a wonderfully executed headed goal, into his own net by the hapless Cranie, a goal any centre Forward would have been proud of,as it turned out, it was a goal we never recovered from.
The result may show, that you cannot match youth against experience in such high percentages, and despite our recent mini revival, shows without doubt that we badly need quality in one or two areas of the field, asking the kids to do it on a regular basis,will yield more results like the game last night against Ipswich.

Repect........Tankie

SkyBlue_Bear83

CCFC were you at the game or was your assessment from the TV or radio? When you watch TV you are watching the ball but being there you can see the body language and off ball movement etc. Cody was good and so was Baker. If you were at the game sorry but don't play with other people's intelligence if you were watching Tv
I was watching on the TV but don't try and tell me anybody on that pitch last night played "good"

Mcdonald got into good positions but missed some easy chances, that is not good imo.
Baker was just awful for the majority of the game.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Think we lacked any real spark last night. We played the ball around a bit but never really applied any sustained pressure on an Ipswich team that wasnt that good (they got lucky, finished poorly and defended inconsistently, never comfortably.... crucially they had 3 midfielders with experience when it counted). Had we scored first I dont think they would have recovered from it, sadly we never looked like doing so or pulling the game back.

The Crainie own goal destroyed what is a fragile team confidence. He made a mistake, we all do, but generally didnt have a confident or composed game. That rubbed off on his team mates He and Keogh have been the foundation so far and his mistake put the doubts in players heads). A mistake or an off night does not make him a bad player though. Keogh put in an average display, Christie didnt seem to have his pace and Hussey had a poor game with some awful crossing.

Midfield really consisted of Clingan who battled well but was never going to do it alone. The rest showed flashes of skill and composure but were too lightweight and off the pace. The build up was too considered and gave Ipswich time to get organised.

Upfront Juke and McDonald worked hard, and there is the beginnings of a partnership there. It was a pity the rest of the team took the easy safe choice for them to lump the ball up to Juke to win it - he has more ability than being able to win the ball in the air, says a lot for the decision making and confidence of his team mates. Cody shows signs of getting in the right place at the right time - it will come and i cant believe some here are doubting him after playing less than 2 whole games

I think AT's tactics got found out. Jewel got his fullbacks bombing forward, which over worked our midfield. It was no coincidence that the Ipswich left back Cresswell was the best player on the pitch and that was where most of their threat came from. AT didnt react to this and where was plan B - surely not hoofball. I think the hoofball was more a product of the players lack of confidence than instruction from AT. I did think taking Bigirigamana off in 43rd minute was pretty poor man management and his replacement under performed yet again. ROD chased about but didnt threaten, thought Cameron looked solid when he came on (him and Cranie for saturday with Keogh to right back ?)

It was a disjointed performance, it lacked belief in the system we are apparently adopting, and failed to react to changing circumstances. Too many players had an off night and lacked good decision making. The energy levels were not great and we never looked like we would actually score. Ipswich were there to be beaten, we lacked the where withall, guile and determination to do the job.

Why wasnt it apparent that certain players had gone past peak in the last 9 days and that they needed to be rested - surely thats part of the art of managing & coaching............... knowing your players?

Wasnt a good night all round but it wasnt a disaster............ as Birtles said in commentary "seems they can do it against the better teams but not those teams around them".......... same old story and that is in itself worrying

Covstu

Lets face it the result could have been worse and we were VERY LUCKY in avoiding a very heavy defeat. After the second they could have had 4 or 5 by half time. Our defense was at sixes and sevens most of the game, Scotland breezed through our defense with ease for the third. The opposition we played were good but we made them look great.

We had some great opportunities in the second half and exposed a poor Ipswich defense but just could not capitalise on this, everytime they attacked they attacked in numbers but our attacks were very sparse in numbers.

This performance shows how weak and inconsistent we actually are. I said it at the start of the season but i fear the worse this year, really do.

Users who are viewing this thread