Suicide in veterans (1 Viewer)

LastGarrison

I dont know many tbf. Not something I've overly watched or read up on. You've obviously got your stuff that Phil Mitchell done, whats his bloody real name? He done some decent footage. He cracks me up though. His big hard man routine reminds me of an older version of Danny Dyer

If you're looking for a good book, try Apache. Its a Biography by Ed Macy from his time as an British Apache pilot in Afghan. A very good insight and well worth a read.
Absolute fucking hell of a Helecopter the Apache. It used to put the fear of God in to me when it hung over head and it was on my side. Thunders over you with a massive roar and a big dark shadow. Frightening bit of kit, and the blokes that fly them are half cyborg I swear. None of them are fully human.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
I’ve already read that and Bejohnson Harry’s and a few others whilst I was travelling but will have a search on Amazon again later.

I can’t even begin to imagine mate. Reading and watching some of the books, documentaries and clips on YouTube just seems like a completely different planet and lifetime to me sat on my arse watching it all.

Fair fucks to everyone of you.

LastGarrison

Heres a little bit of insight/reading for you. This was originally ran by The S*n newspaper but I cant seem to find the article. This was written about me and my company. Dean Fisher who they talk about is my best mate (and unfortunately a Villa fan) and gunner. We were a gun team in Battalion. I was gun controller and he was gunner (GPMG in SF role).
It says that a 3rd soldier lost a leg elsewhere, that was my mate Ken (Kajaki movie).
Just an idea of what I did and seen in Afghan.

Cheers.

I’ll give this a good read later.

Evo1883

When the chinook arrives first........fucking hell. What an absolute shit show.

This sounds a bit of a macabre request but I am fascinated by our recent military history and particularly in Iraq and Afghanistan and Eight Lives Down is still one of the best books I’ve read ever but are there any other books, documentaries etc. that you would recommend that you feel tell/show the story best?
If you like military history, you can always try find documentaries about the battle of the imjin river and the Royal Glosters or just read up on it .. Must have been horrendous and very scary

They have monuments in Korea to honour them

pastythegreat

What’s the root cause of these, in your view?
I cant speak for Evo, but from my point of view its a number of contributing factors.
High stress levels at work, with little to no after care. I cant speak for other regiments and corps, but in the infantry there's a very macho, man up and get on with it sort of attitude aswell. At times, if you don't man up, you're dead. Its literally that cut throat. No hiding from it.
So consider people with long term scars from that environment and then add to that the extra stresses that covid have piled on. Its all well and good having charities out there to help, but its getting an infantryman whos 'got on with it' his whole life to actually admit to himself he's not as strong as the rest of the lads and tell somebody about it. Thats the biggest problem, is admitting you are struggling and speaking to somebody.

My pal who killed himself just before Xmas found out his wife had been cheating on him. There was much more to it than that, but it was that straw which broke the camels back.

Brighton Sky Blue

I cant speak for Evo, but from my point of view its a number of contributing factors.
High stress levels at work, with little to no after care. I cant speak for other regiments and corps, but in the infantry there's a very macho, man up and get on with it sort of attitude aswell. At times, if you don't man up, you're dead. Its literally that cut throat. No hiding from it.
So consider people with long term scars from that environment and then add to that the extra stresses that covid have piled on. Its all well and good having charities out there to help, but its getting an infantryman whos 'got on with it' his whole life to actually admit to himself he's not as strong as the rest of the lads and tell somebody about it. Thats the biggest problem, is admitting you are struggling and speaking to somebody.

My pal who killed himself just before Xmas found out his wife had been cheating on him. There was much more to it than that, but it was that straw which broke the camels back.

Makes a lot of sense, it’s the biggest killer of young men for similar reasons to what you describe but being in the military amplifies the same pressures considerably. Hard to know what could make a difference

wingy

Awful.

Users who are viewing this thread